ACES HIGH - A Weird Wild-West Supplement for the BRP System

Trifletraxor

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can state categorically that the next Aces High book will not contain aliens... I'm hoping a BRP sci fi will cover that. I can also say that I am at the stage where I am considering preparing a proposal for a second Aces High book for Dustin. Bit more work to do first though.

Mr Jealousy has returned to reality!

Grabbed the PDF from Chaosium and will get it printed and bound for more leisurely reading, but I've really enjoyed what I've had a chance to read so far.

Any thoughts on the damage for a Bowie Knife, surely it must be more than the generic 'knife' entry, no?

Anyway, great job and many thanks!

Grabbed the PDF from Chaosium
Welcome to my place in the desert!

Bowie Knife
Oops, another glaring omision (there are a couple). I'd like to do a little research before commiting to anything. But I guess I'd be looking at giving it something like a cross between short sword and knife stats. BS% 20, Dmg 1d6, HP 20, STR/DEX 5/4, ENC 0.7. Not sure how much they weigh, but that looks about right? Call it an unofficial ammendment ;D

Anyway, great job and many thanks!
Thank you! It's always great when I get some positive feed back.

• 2 months later...

We are just at the end of our third Aces High adventure which happens to be scenario from the Aces High book. I am a bit curious about a couple of things in the adventure since they can have a big impact on how the finale plays out. So any clarifications will be helpful.

• The description of the Big Head Bat Family in the scenario at p.105 mentions that they can Wing Buffet and Bite in the same round. This is not mentioned in the animal description on p.54 in the book. How does this work with the SR system if allowed?
  • The description on p.54 mentions that they cannot be hurt by any mundane weapon. This seem to be omitted from the description of the Big Head Bat Family in the scenario on p.105. Are they an exception?

We are just at the end of our third Aces High adventure which happens to be scenario from the Aces High book. I am a bit curious about a couple of things in the adventure since they can have a big impact on how the finale plays out. So any clarifications will be helpful.

Drat, looks like i've made errors on both those pages!

On p. 56 I'd be inclined to drop the 'cannot be hurt by mundane weapons'. That ability should have been reserved for powerful spirits and dieties. Probably me being a bit too power mad... didn't use that when I play tested the scenario...

On p.105 I'd ditch the Bite and Buffet in the same round, they don't have the Dex Srs to get away with it anyway. Leaving two claw attacks or a bite or a buffet.

All in all, I think thats pretty poor. Especially considering that is supposed to be the example scenario and I can't even get the abilities of the primary weird critter right! Oh well, something else to go in the edit...

Apart from that, how has your game played? Was it fun? Did it work? What did you get up to?

Well I just finished the session. Funny thing I didn't see your suggestions until just now but I had already ruled just as you suggested on my own since it made most sense. ;D

The adventure actually played out nicely, at first the players where a bit puzzled and didn't have clue where to start looking for clues. But after a while they started to pick up on some minor clues that lead them to the red skin shaman.

For the showdown in the cave that the Big Head Bat Family used as home I used Medusa Hideout you can get from free from 0one Games. Just removed all the doors and furnitures and then you ended up with a natural cave that fitted the adventure perfectly. Printed out the tiles and laid them out as they explored the cavern and used counters during the combat.

Will not reveal to much of the story here since I don't want to ruin the experience for others. The adventure took us 3 sessions (4-5 hours each) to complete.

Now we are having a summer break and will hopefully start the campaign again in the autumn. We are trying to pull together a new group to play with over the summer but haven't decided yet what game or genre to play yet.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been meaning to ask about the ranges of the weapons in the Aces High book. Have noticed many of them are much higher than the ones in the BRP Book. What are the thoughts about that? For example the Sniper Rifle in the BRP Book has a range of 250 (including the modification for a telescopic scope) that is the same range as the Volcanic Carbine without a telescopic scope and that is one of the rifles with the shortest ranges in Aces High. The Volcanic Carbine was supposed to be a very inaccurate and unreliable rifle.

It does sound a bit high to me to be honest so do many of the ranges of the other rifles. Even though the bullet probably don't have any problems at all to travel that distance, but hitting something without taking time to aim carefully at that distance is another matter at least according my experience from the military even though it was a while ago I did my service.

On most of the rifles in Aces High you can divide the ranges by 4 to get them more in line with the BRP Book. Now thinking about it maybe the ranges are maximum ranges and you just forgot to modify them to the BRP ranges (x1/x2/x4). :horse:

From an otherwise excellent module the equipment tables are the ones I think needs the most modifications. The ranges of the rifles sticks out obviously. And some other slight errors that have been discussed previously in this post and that are easily adjusted.

ENC values for the equipment are on the wanted list. A slightly larger equipment table are also on the wishlist and that is maybe something that can be included in a future book.

At the moment I just use the weight from my GURPS High Tech book and halve the weight to get the ENC values for the equipment in the Aces High book. Most of the equipment in the Aces High list can be found in GURPS High Tech and the ones I can't find in there are usually easy to wing. Plus it does contains a load of other equipment not included in Aces High that are usable. The difference in prices are a bit of a trouble but I just divide it by 10 and it usually gets me reasonable prices that fit Aces High. :7

Aside from those issues everything else in Aces High have been working perfectly. We even have one of the players that play a Caplatas (Evil Voodoo priest). I did allow it since he rolled Voodoo Parents on the extraordinary abilities table. But he is moving from Sweden to USA during the summer so he is not returning in the autumn when we start up the campaign again. Aces High is still one of my favourite Monographs for BRP and can be perfect with some polishing! ;t)

Edited by Chorpa

I have been meaning to ask about the ranges of the weapons in the Aces High book. Have noticed many of them are much higher than the ones in the BRP Book. ... most of the rifles in Aces High you can divide the ranges by 4 to get them more in line with the BRP Book. Now thinking about it maybe the ranges are maximum ranges and you just forgot to modify them to the BRP ranges (x1/x2/x4). :horse:

Actually thats spot on. I only worried about the maximum possible ranges based on any reference I could find. Don't think anyone has said anything about that before. Any further updates might include updated ranges... or I will at the very least check the stats.

From an otherwise excellent module

Thanks!

ENC values for the equipment are on the wanted list. A slightly larger equipment table are also on the wishlist and that is maybe something that can be included in a future book.

Yeah, I agree. But I wanted to keep the space down for equipment. I decided not to include ENC for clothes and mundane items to help keep the book keeping down. I didn't think that people would be carting around several sets of clothing, a weeks worth of horse feed, trail rations for a month, a microscope, telescope, embossed bible etc etc and decided that I would have to trust gms to look after this detail, if they wanted too.

Once again though, I might include ENC in future possibilities...

... use the weight from my GURPS High Tech book and halve the weight to get the ENC values...

Sounds and looks good to me.

...everything else in Aces High have been working perfectly. We even have one of the players that play a Caplatas (Evil Voodoo priest). I did allow it since he rolled Voodoo Parents on the extraordinary abilities table.

Wow, thats brave! But also kind of what was intended. Thats excellent!

Aces High is still one of my favourite Monographs for BRP and can be perfect with some polishing! ;t)

Thank you very much for some interesting insights into AH. I'm glad you like it and I promise to do better in the future.;D

• 3 weeks later...

Join with me in celebrating 4th of July, American Independence day, when in 1776 we threw off the shackles of British oppression and rode off into the sunset of a new dawn.

You could also think of it as a band of Englishmen throwing off the yoke of the Hanover oppressor who, supported by his hired Hessian thugs, denied them the liberties that all Englishmen could expect by birth to enjoy. Or something like that. :)

My avatar is the personal glyph of Siyaj K'ak' a.k.a. "Smoking Frog."

Ok, how about...

Join with me in (retrospectively) celebrating July 5th when all of Britishdom joined in a collective sigh, having finally gotten rid of those pesky Americans. :P

What was it Oscar Wilde said... something like 'the only country to go from barbarism to decadence without going through civilisation'...

What was it Oscar Wilde said... something like 'the only country to go from barbarism to decadence without going through civilisation'...

I am a Swede so I don't care to much about either the Americans or the British but I'll cheer for the Oscar Wilde quote. It's sooo true!!!!!! ;D

• 3 weeks later...

Well after the last winter/spring campaign where that otherwise have been very popular despite a couple of character deaths along the way I found that the original Aces High Character sheet left something to be wanted. Mostly it was formatting issues making it hard to fit the necessary information where it needed to go. So I took one of my already designed Character Sheets I have made myself and made the necessary modifications to make it a Aces High Character Sheet.

Either way the original sheet is still very usable just wanted to tell everyone that I have uploaded the alternate sheet into the downloads section for those that are interested.

You can find it here:

Alternate Aces High Character Sheet

• 3 weeks later...

Autumn is here and time to kick of the Aces High campaign again on the 21st of August! ;t) I'll keep you guys updated!

The first adventure this time is named "Murder in Rasberry Vale" (translated from Swedish) and a non-supernatural one since we ended the the campaign in the spring with a big battle against a family of Big Bat Heads so I figured they needed a breather after that. It's basicly one of those murder mysteries the players have to solve. :horse:

Or let their successful solution to the mystery guide them into their next round of weirdness. The villain goes to jail, but in the meantime, they've discovered disturbing things about the origin and history of the stalwart mayor or charming schoolmarm's family. After all, a typical episode of The Munsters or The Addams Family involved them exposing crooks who were attempting to take advantage of them ... but that didn't mean there wasn't something strange going on with the innocent parties. What if the innocent suspects in Rasberry Vale ... aren't, but have their own dark secrets to hide? They're glad the PCs have eliminated their opponents/rivals, but the heroes' mucking around will threaten them, too, if it persists much longer.

Well I am thinking about letting them meet one of the old characters (an Indian nicknamed "Meltface" because of his horrible burnmarks) they lost in an earlier adventure. They lost him to the demon Eno from The Black Book (from the BRP Adventures monograph). They failed to defeat the demon in time and escaped the area but leaving their friend who was badly injured in a firefight at the mercy of the demon. Been planning to let them tie up that loose end and an encounter with "Meltface" might just remind them of the threat that lurks out there looking for them.

You've played the Black Book too! That was the Proto-Aces High scenario and thats a big loose end you have dangling there.

I'm really very interested in hearing how your game progresses.

Are you going to incorporate the western scenarios from Blood and Badges?

You've played the Black Book too! That was the Proto-Aces High scenario and thats a big loose end you have dangling there.

I'm really very interested in hearing how your game progresses.

Are you going to incorporate the western scenarios from Blood and Badges?

Of course I used the Black Book scenario. :P

Haven't had the time to purchase Blood and Badges yet but I was planning to get the pdf at the end of this month when the pay check arrives. Considering the number of wild west scenarios in there is a high probability that most of them will be incorporated into the campaign. The campaign takes place before the Civil War, and I had first planned to run the campaign through the the war and continue afterwards. Now I have decided that the current campaign will end when the war begins and we will start a new group of characters around 1875 but a lot of the actions that players do now will affect the new bunch of characters and I can still continue to develop some of the loose ends and maybe use some of the current characters as NPCs. Still have haven't planned the details yet.