BASIC GAMEMASTER - Mastering the BRP System

Trifletraxor

Have they maintained the quality you guys are attributing to the original said RuneQuest?

I think this is very much a matter of personal taste.

In my view, Mongoose Runequest I was definitely not as good as the original

Runequest, it had lots of problems which even lots of errata could not solve.

In my opinion Mongoose Runequest II is a much better system than Mongoose

Runequest I, and I really like what I have seen of it so far. However, it is also

quite different from the original Runequest and has a different "feel" - some

people are likely to welcome the differences (like the combat actions), others

will continue to prefer the original.

That said, Mongoose Runequest II is doubtless a very good system.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Again, I'm sorry these questions are a bit off topic, but what a great tangent we have going here! This is really clearing things up for me.

The Mongoose RuneQuest II, the books look fantastic. Have they maintained the quality you guys are attributing to the original said RuneQuest?

If you want to play in one of the settings written for the Mongoose RuneQuest system, then you should try it. Still, I think the old one (RQ3) is a better product. The Golden Book (BRP) is really all you need, but might be a bit confusing with all the options.

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

MRQ2 is a very solid rule-set with some very interesting ways of doing certain things. It does some things better than RQ3, but for other things I still prefer the RQ3 way of doing things. At this point, I think it's impossible to say one is better than the other - your would pick the system based on the particular flavour of game you like, so there's probably some trial and error involved on your part.

In terms of layout and illustration (and feel, as Rust said), I RQ3 is the clear winner. The MRQ2 art director wasn't quite clear on the concept. For many people this doesn't matter, but these things are important to me. It also lacks the bronze-age feel the RQ3 had, and I really miss that. On the positive side, I'm sure the MRQ2 book will last a lot longer before the pages start falling out! The RQ3 books were flimsy inside that box, and my box, at least, has taken a beating.

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

• 1 month later...
Guest Vile Traveller

On the positive side, I'm sure the MRQ2 book will last a lot longer before the pages start falling out! The RQ3 books were flimsy inside that box, and my box, at least, has taken a beating.

Luckily I have the Games Workshop hardbacks, which are holding up well. Mind you, my Games Workshop RQ2 softcover is still in one piece, despite a little abuse:

RQIIsmall.jpg