Time and tithes

Shiningbrow

2 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

Regardless, Ernalda is a huge cult, and my example would have been better server by using a different cult... 

Which is consistent with the lower incidence of temples to cults other than the Big Two in Sartar. 

I admit I don't know how cults like Humakt keep a temple, perhaps that's why there are not many.  Where in Sartar do you find a Humakt temple?

Barntar should have initiates all over the place, every plowman - but gets along with shrines in Ernalda temples, so where's the expense?  If you want to find  hidden riches, look at the Barntar cult!    Come to think of it, has anyone written or run an adventure in which the Barntar cult plays a prominent role?  They just lie low and rake in the cash!

Issaries is common but low expense and its temples are self funding: The priests are expected to be merchants and don't draw a salary, the temples are markets and charge a stall fee.  And Issaries does commercial banking,takes deposits, makes loans, issues letters of credit.  (Very bronze age by the way, the Sumerian temples started that stuff.)  Presumably letters of credit are discounted somewhat or carry fees, and they must also earn interest lending the float.  As you may know, "money of account" increases the money supply beyond the specie in circulation, and an adequate total money supply is necessary for trade and the economy to flourish, so an  Issaries temple not only runs a profit but produces positive externalities.  Do well by doing good, that's the Issaries way.  However if war disrupts trade, all else equal there will be an economic contraction, so bear down on that Harmony rune. 

Lhankor Mhy temples are rare and  also self funding, and sell services - to the extent that initiates evidently live there free. 

Uleria temples are obviously self funding, and recession-proof.  I wonder why they seem to be rare. 

Chalana Arroy temples / hospitals are also self funding.  (How many poor physicians have you met in the real world?  And ours can't even resurrect people dead six days).   This is also a recession-proof business, and war proof too. 

Lots of shrines, but those won't support a priest. 

On 7/11/2020 at 1:30 AM, Squaredeal Sten said:

Which is consistent with the lower incidence of temples to cults other than the Big Two in Sartar. 

😁

On 7/11/2020 at 1:30 AM, Squaredeal Sten said:

Barntar should have initiates all over the place, every plowman - but gets along with shrines in Ernalda temples, so where's the expense?  If you want to find  hidden riches, look at the Barntar cult!    Come to think of it, has anyone written or run an adventure in which the Barntar cult plays a prominent role?  They just lie low and rake in the cash!

Thinking about that, yes, Barntar should be much much bigger than Orlanth in number of Initiates. So, there should be far fewer Wind Voices than Ground Breakers (my newly invented term for Barntar priests ...)

(Grrr, posting via a mobile is so annoying for formatting and inserting stuff!)

• Like 1