Your Dumbest Theory

scott-martin

So this is a new one for me from a few days ago.

Just as Yelmalio was previously known as Elmal fitting into the pantheon of storms, Gustbran is the name given to Lodril. Possibly allying with Orlanth just to annoy his brother and staying long term by simple inertia or the stasis rune taking effect. 

Edit 1 : Taking his volcanic "true body" as a forge variation of Mount Doom is just the narrative detail I needed to convince me.

Edited by Godweyn
  • Thanks 3

On 5/18/2021 at 5:28 PM, scott-martin said:

Before the Council Broke, the orlanthite tribes bred freely with people we would now classify as trolls. Traces of this can be found in old pelorian lexicography as well as the original situation of the OOO. It's also an undercurrent in Black Arkat.

This is how to repair the curse of kin but nobody polite likes to think about it.

Love it. But not in an UZ way.

Edited by Orlanthatemyhamster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The wyter of the Lunar Empire is bound into the Red Emperor, and reforms whenever the current mask and some of its constituents are replaced by new ones. (His spirit in the Dragon Pass boardgame might be the wyter?)

Great Sister is another embodied wyter in (but not necessarily of) the Lunar Empire, possibly of the cult of the Red Goddess. Other Lunar demigods may represent subsets of the Empire or its population, e.g. the Red Dancer of Power for the merchants of the Empire.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Telling how it is excessive verbis

21 minutes ago, Joerg said:

e.g. the Red Dancer of Power for the merchants of the Empire

The true, secret name of the Red Dancer of Power is Selven Hara.  She has secretly embedded her name in ancient texts and when those texts wax again in power she will achieve the apotheosis she desires.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jajagappa said:

The true, secret name of the Red Dancer of Power is Selven Hara.  She has secretly embedded her name in ancient texts and when those texts wax again in power she will achieve the apotheosis she desires.

Some say that when ibexes can wander freely from Riverjoin to Corflu, and from Castle Kartolin to Jangi-Shar, then the Red Dancer of Power will reveal her secret name for all to see, choreographed into the stars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

• 2 weeks later...

Re the Windstop aka The Great Winter.

To survive, people right across that 250km circle afflicted took to heroquesting to try to break the Great Winter. Serendipitously – regardless of the paths taken, powers sought, or gods invoked – all the successful heroquest attempts culminated on Clay/Disorder/Earth 1622, the same day as the Battle of Iceland in Sartar. 'I Fought We Won' and all that...

57c4308ee0301_ScreenShot2016-08-29at12_57_39.png.afdd0136a0fec75a07c2a07f22b675c0.png.777bd59f9ebd42e52041105a0088eff7.png

Edited by MOB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MOB said:

all the successful heroquest attempts culminated on Clay/Disorder/Earth 1622

People here need to start working dumber. There are all kinds of threads for this kind of intuitively valid "aha" discoveries that deepen and transform your Gloranthan experience. Like this one, for example. The timing is auspicious. Something wonderful happened in the former Holy Country on that day to mirror what was going on elsewhere. 

And now we need something dumb as well. Think, Martin, think . . . 

The "giant stabbing architecture" reported in a village near Alone is real, even though it serves no tangible deterrent function. What's really happening there is that the locals remember the time Soul Arranger put his foot on the trap but identify with the other end of the story. They're not exactly chaotic or evil. They just grow up really hating and fearing giants so all their houses raise a wooden spike to mourn the original encounter and express their hope that the next one will go differently.

The question is who in that part of the world would preserve that level of antipathy for the cosmic giant. Have we found the last of "the original krarshtites?"

• Like 5

singer sing me a given

While some of the Pujaleg people of Pamaltela are associated with vampire bats, most are associated with fruit or insectivorous bats, and the secret behind their empire is very simple- in addition to traditional fruit leather, they have also discovered how to flavor chicle with the juices of their local fruits, and armed with this juicy-fruit chewing gum as a trail ration, have brought Laskal under their wing. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask