Your Dumbest Theory

scott-martin

5 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

Among troll Arkati, "Occlusion" is the term for the praiseworthy type of "Endarkening". Being "Illuminated", "Enlightened" or "Seeing the Light" are all bad things.

I figured it was a different kind of "illumination," being the rays of the Black Sun.

• Thanks 1

ROLAND VOLZ

Running: nothing | Playing: Battletech Hero, CoC 7th Edition, Blades in the Dark | Planning: D&D 5E Home Game, Operation: Sprechenhaltestelle, HeroQuest 1E Sartarite Campaign

D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger. - TiaNadiezja

6 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

Hence, the Arkati troll in deep meditation is " just chillin' ".

So the whole troll plot to extend Valind's glacier is misunderstood? They just took "get the humans to chill out" particularly literally?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

ROLAND VOLZ

Running: nothing | Playing: Battletech Hero, CoC 7th Edition, Blades in the Dark | Planning: D&D 5E Home Game, Operation: Sprechenhaltestelle, HeroQuest 1E Sartarite Campaign

D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger. - TiaNadiezja

24 minutes ago, scott-martin said:

genertela.png.c45e9cc215752ad89850f582cc217c73.png
glorantha-b.png.8f189a616aa9f3fcd4c78a7c5ca73050.png

If that on top is a future map of the US, you need a Snodal or you get the Middle Sea Empire...

Or are you telling us that the post-Argrath Glorantha is a reflection of our world in the invisible moon? A cosmic glamour? That explains how it becomes spherical.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

3 hours ago, scott-martin said:

genertela.png.c45e9cc215752ad89850f582cc217c73.png
glorantha-b.png.8f189a616aa9f3fcd4c78a7c5ca73050.png

Well no wonder I identified Carmania with Michigan. 

(And not just for the inside baseball joke of identifying Spolites with Yoopers!)

Edited by Eff
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

On 10/1/2021 at 10:50 PM, jajagappa said:

I like how it puts the Twin Cities more-or-less at the Crater/Glamour.

As a (recovering) Bears fan and intermittent Uroxi symp, this identity makes a lot of sense to me.

Maintain a strong D-fence against Chaos!

2e17581c613aad69881ee46a68ecde09.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It's 3am here we fucking go. First some assumptions to base this on that I think are correct enough:

1. Time in the otherworld doesn't correspond to mortal time, especially as you go deeper in.

2. Most souls get reincarnated after a stint in the underworld.

3. Argrath is very much an Arkat-like figure.

Now the theory: Argrath is a proper reincarnation of Arkat, and his rule gets progressively more batshit as time goes on since Arkat's self starts to impose on stuff, kinda like a certain spoilery thing in the Wheel of Time books. However, unlike that, there's no reconciliation and Argrath ends up giving Arkat the unhealable wound when they meet each other in the nonlinearness of the deep hero plane.

I think I've passed beyond dumb and into some uncharted territory off the edge of crazy town, but here it is anyways.

Edited by Richard S.
I really need to ask my self from five minutes ago what the "underwounderworld" is
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Richard S. said:

Argrath is a proper reincarnation of Arkat

As are the four others.

But unlike what they want you to believe, he’s The Destroyer, not The Liberator (the comic all but states this). Which explains a lot, actually.

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Richard S. said:

It's 3am here we fucking go. First some assumptions to base this on that I think are correct enough:

1. Time in the otherworld doesn't correspond to mortal time, especially as you go deeper in.

2. Most souls get reincarnated after a stint in the underworld.

3. Argrath is very much an Arkat-like figure.

Now the theory: Argrath is a proper reincarnation of Arkat, and his rule gets progressively more batshit as time goes on since Arkat's self starts to impose on stuff, kinda like a certain spoilery thing in the Wheel of Time books. However, unlike that, there's no reconciliation and Argrath ends up giving Arkat the unhealable wound when they meet each other in the nonlinearness of the deep hero plane.

I think I've passed beyond dumb and into some uncharted territory off the edge of crazy town, but here it is anyways.

"I wouldn't mind having you in my head if you weren't so obviously insane."

• Thanks 1

Actually, re: Arkat returning (this is dumb theory time again):

The aspects are the ones we know of, but who get assigned which is culturally relativistic. So it’s not that one of them is the Liberator, but rather that they get tagged with different labels depending on who is at the receiving end. And then you need Identity Challenges to attempt to resolve it between them, and it’s a whole mess.

”Unhappy the land in need of Arkat.”

• Thanks 3

Let's get dumber. Each Arkat incarkatnation carries with him a local distortion of reality in relation to his title. Get too close to Arkat Liberator and you find yourself in costumes from old BBC Robin Hood productions, running through semi-abandoned British industrial centers, and everyone is talking about "Servalan" and the "Federation" (just whose federation it is seems to change). Spend long in the presence of Arkat the Deceiver, and all faces look like masks, ready for you to pull them off. Spend too long in the presence of Arkat Chaosbane and, horribly, you start to mutate into a Storm Bully...

• Helpful 1
  • Haha 2

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask