Your Dumbest Theory

scott-martin

Some of Greg's early maps of the West, such as some in Revealed Mythologies, divided Glorantha into triangular regions in the cardinal directions. The overall map was a square, so the map for each region was a right angle triangle with the spike at the central point.

The most perfect triangle, like the law rune, is clearly equilateral. It turns out the triangular sides of a classic square based pyramid are equilateral triangles.

So my theory is that the primeval form of Glorantha was not a cube or lozenge, but a pyramid. The cosmic mountain.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

12 hours ago, simonh said:

Some of Greg's early maps of the West, such as some in Revealed Mythologies,

I think that is more a case of "Some of Greg's maps of the early West".

I made a sketchup-model trying to use that concept:

12 hours ago, simonh said:

The most perfect triangle, like the law rune, is clearly equilateral. It turns out the triangular sides of a classic square based pyramid are equilateral triangles.

Somehow, my idea of this is a set of equilateral rectangular triangles. Which is possible real world geometry as soon as you loan another dimension.

• Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

The Moonsword cult of Jar-eel the Razoress works like a fan club: there's a semiseasonal newsletter reproduced with much assistance from Gestenter, which makes its way out to all the Junior Razorites (lay members) and other such ranks in the club. There's even a sacred cipher that encodes certain messages from the Razoress, the secret of which is kept in rings the members of the hero-cult receive on full initiation. When Jar-eel is busy, of course, the head of the fan cult, Beat-Pot, uses recipes he's experimenting with as newsletter filler. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

8 hours ago, Eff said:

there's a semiseasonal newsletter reproduced with much assistance from Gestenter, which makes its way out to all the Junior Razorites (lay members) and other such ranks in the club. There's even a sacred cipher that encodes certain messages from the Razoress, the secret of which is kept in rings the members of the hero-cult receive on full initiation.

If we collect enough Moon stamps from the newsletter, do we get to order a Bat Ring or a Jar-eel the Razoress shirt???😈

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is actually from the "Bits of Glorantha You Ignore" thread, but it's really dumb, so...

3 hours ago, radmonger said:

Yes, if there was a Humakti called Aijage Smiter of Foes, that would hardly imply that all other Humakti were pacifists, and he was the one wierdo religious nutter who thought fighting enemies was a good idea.

Originally, Humakt was the "God of Dearth," a god of peace and minimalism, but illiteracy and a willful misinterpretation by wrathful worshippers led to the current Grim Guardian we all know and love. He's still minimalistic, but the peace aspect is long gone...

• Like 2

ROLAND VOLZ

Running: nothing | Playing: Battletech Hero, CoC 7th Edition, Blades in the Dark | Planning: D&D 5E Home Game, Operation: Sprechenhaltestelle, HeroQuest 1E Sartarite Campaign

D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger. - TiaNadiezja

What Eurmal found in Subere's vault was the "De-Weaponized Path" - writ on a long piece of paper. Too long to bring back undamaged, so Eurmal folded it a couple of times, hiding away "-Weaponized P".

• Haha 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

2 hours ago, AlHazred said:

Originally, Humakt was the "God of Dearth," a god of peace and minimalism, but illiteracy and a willful misinterpretation by wrathful worshippers led to the current Grim Guardian we all know and love. He's still minimalistic, but the peace aspect is long gone...

Channeling some of my inner rage from when quiz shows made by English-English speakers declare words to be homonyms which actually only are for non-rhotic speakers!  (If even then, TBH.)  What's worse even sometimes filmed in Glasgow, where the R is definitely not thrown away!  (... to quote a musical duo fae Embra.) 🙂

Humakt as God of Minimalism is giving me all sorts of crossed synapses about music and interior design...

• Like 1

Drawing on some posts from the "Parts of Glorantha you ignore" thread:

Glorantha is a planet, in the sense that it's a planete, a wanderer, and the whole lozenge travels through a greater space that interacts only weakly with it, causing confusion as it passes. The Jugger Planet/Juggernaught is a recursive representation of this within Glorantha- if you manage to open the Jugger up and peek inside, you see yourself looking inside the Jugger and seeing yourself looking inside the Jugger and so on and so forth until you become Illuminated enough to realize it's just the inside of your own navel and you de-ourobourize. 

• Thanks 1

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

On 11/2/2021 at 6:26 AM, Joerg said:

Somehow, my idea of this is a set of equilateral rectangular triangles. Which is possible real world geometry as soon as you loan another dimension.

I can only imagine what people in the West would think of non-Euclidean geometry. 

The Pythagoreans, after all, are supposed to have murdered the member who discovered irrational numbers because they were so appalled at the idea...

4 hours ago, metcalph said:

Next you're going to tell me that the story that Pythagoras claimed he could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and he wouldn’t lose any followers is a complete myth!

Edited by AlHazred
*you're
  • Haha 2

ROLAND VOLZ

Running: nothing | Playing: Battletech Hero, CoC 7th Edition, Blades in the Dark | Planning: D&D 5E Home Game, Operation: Sprechenhaltestelle, HeroQuest 1E Sartarite Campaign

D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger. - TiaNadiezja

On 11/9/2021 at 6:16 PM, AlHazred said:

Next you're going to tell me that the story that Pythagoras claimed he could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and he wouldn’t lose any followers is a complete myth!

please tell me you've watched Reign: The Conqueror (the anime, not the anime film), because the Pythagorean cult attacks against Alexander the Great are amazing. It's by Peter Chung, the Aeon Flux writer-animator.

image.png.c7ef880a5552e517a1a625af8fe19992.png

• Helpful 1

3 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

please tell me you've watched Reign: The Conqueror (the anime, not the anime film), because the Pythagorean cult attacks against Alexander the Great are amazing. It's by Peter Chung, the Aeon Flux writer-animator.

I could tell you that, but I would be lying! I'll check it out.

ROLAND VOLZ

On 11/9/2021 at 2:37 PM, metcalph said:

Also, I just noticed that the link seems to refer to "were-greeks" which are lycanthropic Hellenes, I suppose? And they're scared of numbers? Man, history is such a fascinating subject!

• Haha 2

ROLAND VOLZ

On 11/11/2021 at 9:24 AM, Qizilbashwoman said:

image.png.c7ef880a5552e517a1a625af8fe19992.png

That show is so choice...
image.png.6cfce4dfc2608d4476b401a5f342d9ff.png
ARISTOTLE: (beholding an apparition of PLATO) No, no, it's impossible.

PLATO: It's been a long time, my dear Aristotle.

ARISTOTLE: Plato, Master, you've done it! You've broken through from the other side.

PLATO: (smiles) I'm not a spirit, I'm an idea.

ARISTOTLE: An idea?

PLATO: What you see before you is but the idea of me, my Eidolon.

ARISTOTLE: But, that's absurd. You still hold to such nonsense? The whole construct of Eideation is an affront to Reason!

PLATO: Hmm, I look forward to seeing how your system of logical reasoning will explain what you are about to witness. (smiles, extends hand)

• Like 2