Your Dumbest Theory

scott-martin

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

(Triggered by a comment by @Nick Brooke on Facebook comparing dragonewt eggs to Giger's xenomorph ones)

Related:Xenomorph.jpg.81ac1e259d25c1dd18981dc10f92be9b.jpg

Xenodragon miniature by Dungeons & Lasers, available from Bad Squiddo Games and other discerning retailers.

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Dart warrior ducks in the Lunar Empire on a mission of revenge.

"Kill for the Bills" also sounds like some sort of violent insurgent sportsball movement in Upstate (depending on your definition, don't hate on me, people from Albany!) New York...

(As in the Buffalo NFL team, if that only made sense in my head.)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, scott-martin said:

Orlanth is considered just another lowfire in the Lodril Belt.

That's a funny line, but is also pretty much orthodox Pelorian theology!

"Tell me, O Celestial Sage, of the strange 'air' powers of the hill barbarians!"

"Buncha Low Fires, and Uppity Earths."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, scott-martin said:

Orlanth is considered just another lowfire in the Lodril Belt.

Yes, and even then not that important.

After all, to the Dara Happans, Yelm and Lodril are sons of Aether Primolt, but Orlanth is Aether's grandson, so at the same level as Yelmalio or the Lowfires themselves.

• Thanks 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

3 hours ago, soltakss said:

Yes, and even then not that important.

After all, to the Dara Happans, Yelm and Lodril are sons of Aether Primolt, but Orlanth is Aether's grandson, so at the same level as Yelmalio or the Lowfires themselves.

That might be why the Dara Happans claim that Orlanth slew the Emperor, leaving t to Yelm to disintegrate himself.

The maternal generation count is the same for Aether and Umath, though. Umath is Aether's brother as much as he is his son. It is almost a miracle that the slaying delayed for a generation in this oedipal conflict.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

11 hours ago, Alex said:

The Glorantha year used to be 365(.22..) days long.  Then Chaos et 71 of 'em.

Full disclosure, I once wrote up a "serious" version of something on these lines (but starting at 400 days, #becausereasons).  Prolly works better as a YDT. (A lot shorter, for one thing.)

• Thanks 1

I really like slowing the year to make room for Moon Season. Reminds me of other efforts to reform the calendar, which reminds me that while the colored moons have a foot in Robert Graves they're also the virtues of the republic. Of course the blue moon is free but sad, the white moon is "comedy" (cruelty) and the lonely sexy one is dominant.

couleurs.jpeg.8f1c1191f27c3b65b28ebc98f8956c5e.jpeg

• Thanks 1

singer sing me a given

On 1/31/2022 at 3:04 PM, Alex said:

The Glorantha year used to be 365(.22..) days long.  Then Chaos et 71 of 'em

It was the Fate and Luck Rune weeks in each season. If Glorantha had 10 week seasons, it’s years would be 52 weeks long. 

I dunno, maybe Eurmal convinced everyone they weren’t Power runes and that shortened the year.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, davecake said:

I dunno, maybe Eurmal convinced everyone they weren’t Power runes and that shortened the year.

Time was different after the Sun Stop, so maybe Nysalor showed they were unneeded.  Or they were destroyed in the Battle of Night and Day.

Alternately, the Dragons devoured that part of time in the Dragonkill, or the dwarves adjusted the clock of the World Machine during the Machine Wars to confound the God Learners.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

There are two seemingly irreconcilable origin stories for dinosaurs.

One says that they are the children of Maran Gor, most of whom were wiped out by various foes in the Green Age turning her into the vengeful barren goddess she is today.

The other claims dinosaurs are dragonewts (or their descendants) who have failed in their quest for Rightness by becoming overly emotional and entangled in the material world, thus devolving into beasthood.

Are these stories compatible? Yes, I say, both can be true!

The dinosaurs we see today may not be the same as the quakebeasts of the Maran story. Those indeed were driven to extinction long ago. Maran Gor, in her role as "infertile mother", adopts those "failed" dragonewts into her family (for they remind her of her children, gone so long ago) and offers an alternate perspective - instead of failing to follow Draconic Law :20-form-dragon:, they've transcended the need for it by embracing Disorder:20-power-disorder:!

Now what dragonewt do we know who "glories in their rebellion" and lives quite nearby a region famed for its high dinosaur population (Trachodon Marsh)? New Wyrmish! While I doubt it's an initiate to Maran I do think there's some kind of connection here, and that dinosaurdom (dinohood?) may not be seen as undesirable to it and its' followers...

In conclusion:

image.thumb.png.64df2f10c2da280dee2494ec6df74b34.png

Edited by Ladygolem
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

I would say that it is interesting that both the largest concentration of Dragonewts and the most famous Maran Gor temple are so close, so there may well have been a strong Godtime connection. What if the Dragons started educating Maran children, and some became Dragonewts? Something like the EWF but with dinosaurs rather than humans.

The non-draconic dinosaurs died out in the God's war, and torn by the betrayal of her children, she took death rather than life as her power. Now she takes back all those dragonewts that slide back into emotion, and she herself becomes an embodyment of strong emotion (Anger, Pride, Lust, but also Love, Mercy and Generosity...) in opposition to the draconic Right way. 

Dragons having the infinity rune and being outside Time makes the dragon children theory suspect. And if you are a skeptic, it might put the dragonewts destroying the EWF on a different light, as not wanting to share their position with the Dragons with those upstart humans...

Edited by JRE
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, JRE said:

I would say that it is interesting that both the largest concentration of Dragonewts and the most famous Maran Gor temple are so close, so there may well have been a strong Godtime connection. What if the Dragons started educating Maran children, and some became Dragonewts? Something like the EWF but with dinosaurs rather than humans.

The non-draconic dinosaurs died out in the God's war, and torn by the betrayal of her children, she took death rather than life as her power. Now she takes back all those dragonewts that slide back into emotion, and she herself becomes an embodyment of strong emotion (Anger, Pride, Lust, but also Love, Mercy and Generosity...) in opposition to the draconic Right way. 

Dragons having the infinity rune and being outside Time makes the dragon children theory suspect. And if you are a skeptic, it might put the dragonewts destroying the EWF on a different light, as not wanting to share their position with the Dragons with those upstart humans...

Oh hell yes, I'm definitely using this in my game, somehow! Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JRE said:

I would say that it is interesting that both the largest concentration of Dragonewts and the most famous Maran Gor temple are so close

I've been hunting the "Dragon Ernalda" who apparently vanished or was transformed when the EWF system evaporated and think we've found her. One of the reasons this thread exists!

• Like 2

singer sing me a given

10 hours ago, Ladygolem said:

There are two seemingly irreconcilable origin stories for dinosaurs.

One says that they are the children of Maran Gor, most of whom were wiped out by various foes in the Green Age turning her into the vengeful barren goddess she is today.

The other claims dinosaurs are dragonewts (or their descendants) who have failed in their quest for Rightness by becoming overly emotional and entangled in the material world, thus devolving into beasthood.

Are these stories compatible? Yes, I say, both can be true!

The dinosaurs we see today may not be the same as the quakebeasts of the Maran story. Those indeed were driven to extinction long ago. Maran Gor, in her role as "infertile mother", adopts those "failed" dragonewts into her family (for they remind her of her children, gone so long ago) and offers an alternate perspective - instead of failing to follow Draconic Law :20-form-dragon:, they've transcended the need for it by embracing Disorder:20-power-disorder:!

Now what dragonewt do we know who "glories in their rebellion" and lives quite nearby a region famed for its high dinosaur population (Trachodon Marsh)? New Wyrmish! While I doubt it's an initiate to Maran I do think there's some kind of connection here, and that dinosaurdom (dinohood?) may not be seen as undesirable to it and its' followers...

In conclusion:

image.thumb.png.64df2f10c2da280dee2494ec6df74b34.png

I either made a post or a topic about this a while ago, and my personal interpretation of this was basically that the entanglement of the failed Dragonewts WAS becoming the children of Maran Gor. I don't know the exact mechanism, but I personally find that to be a neater overall explanation. 

This is the Dumb Theory thread though, so no point in discussing the topic too much. Also, your version provides an adventure hook mine doesn't, so that's a plus. 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1