Malleus Monstrorum - Corrections Thread

Mike M

Reposted from the announcement thread:

In the Shub-Niggurath entry on p.191 of the Deities volume, it says, “Mutation: rather than undergone complete transformation...”. I believe this should either be “undergo”, “undergoing”, or “having undergone”. Also, just below it, it says, “Mind Swop”, which is obviously intended to be “Mind Swap”.

• Like 1

1. Volume I, back cover: There should be no comma after "Here" in "Here shall you know the terrors of the void, the nightmare bringers, and the creeping unspeakable lurkers."
  2. Volume II, back cover: There should be no hyphen in "painstaking", since it's a compound word; if it does need hyphenation at a line break, it's pains·tak·ing, not pain·stak·ing. (Taking pains, not staking pain.)

— 
Self-discipline isnt everything; look at Pol Pot.”
—Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

Volume II, PDF page 111 (book page 110), inside the "Yellow Sign" text box:

The first sentence reads as: "The Yellow Sign is connected to the King Yellow and a
token of worship for He Who Is Not To Be Named."

If I'm not mistaken it should read as: "The Yellow Sign is connected to the King in Yellow and is a
token of worship for He Who Is Not To Be Named."

Vol 2, page 33:

”Teleport: spending magic points (perhaps 5 or more) allows limited movement between points (within 1-mile/1.6 km radius), with a chard and blackened outline/shadow scorched into the ground on exit and arrival.”

Blackened chard sounds delicious, but I’m guessing you meant charred.

Vol 2, Page 203

Sanity loss for Symphonic Manifestation

"• Within 5 miles (8 km): 0/1D4 Sanity point loss.

• Within 3 miles (5 km): 1/1D6 Sanity point loss.

• Within 1 mile (1.6 km): 1D2/1D10 Sanity point loss.

• Less than 1 mile (1.6 km): 1D4/2D10 Sanity point loss"

75e71531ceb57a05.png.2362461c591abaa78d9f569fe946e073.png

"Within 1 mile" seems to equate "less than 1 mile", so i don't know what the difference is.

Vol. 2 page 69. 

The title of entity Cythulos is spelled Cynthulos (an extra N after CY, those names are tricky and maybe the difference is not immediately evident)

Vol. 2 page 72

The "Typical Manifestation Box" for Dagon & Hydra seems to be cut off right under the armor section (other boxes have immunities and a section on "if reduced to zero hit points" after that) - As explained by Mike down the thread, this is NOT an error, please excuse my newbie eagerness

Vol. 2 Page 126

The "Typical Manifestation Box" for Lilith title cites Lillith (double L after LI)

Vol. 2 page 247

The "Typical Manifestation Box" for Zoth Ommog title cites Zhar & Lloigor instead. Stats seem to be the one for Zoth Ommog though

Edited by Fabio S
Inserted correction by Mike

3 hours ago, Meow said:

Vol 2, Page 203

75e71531ceb57a05.png.2362461c591abaa78d9f569fe946e073.png

"Within 1 mile" seems to equate "less than 1 mile", so i don't know what the difference is.

The whole wording is clumsy. If you are less than a mile you are also within all of the above. That’s an awful lot of cumulative San loss.  Of course, we get that that’s not what is meant, but perhaps it would be better to say:

At 3 to 5 miles
At 1 to 3 miles
Within 1 mile

Edited by Cloud64

13 hours ago, Fabio S said:

Vol. 2 page 72

The "Typical Manifestation Box" for Dagon & Hydra seems to be cut off right under the armor section (other boxes have immunities and a section on "if reduced to zero hit points" after that)

This is not an error. Dagon & Hydra do not have immunities, and as they are not "gods" in the sense of Great Old Ones etc., they can die (and be replaced).

• Like 1

On p.36, the Blighted Ones' stats for STR and DEX say "roll host x2/average 120-140". As both of these stats are a 3D6 roll, the average would be 100-110. Likewise, the SIZ average is listed as 50-55, whereas it would be 65.

EDIT: I just saw that the Adherents of the Unspeakable Oath on p.33 are similarly off. DEX and CON are correct, though STR is not, and SIZ would be 97 rather than the listed 82.

Edited by Danial

On page 107 of volume 1 for the “Outer Gods, Larvae of the” entry, the first line reads:

• The larvae of the Other Gods (sometimes Other Gods)…

I believe the first “Other” in that sentence is suppose to read “Outer” so it should say:

• The larvae of the Outer Gods (sometimes Other Gods)…

On page 138 of volume 1 for the “Tindalos, Lords of” entry, the descriptive text paragraph has the line:

• Where they material or spirit?

It should read:

• Were they material or spirit?

Also, in their Stat Block on page 140, their Bite attack has an extra percentage sign so it reads “70%%”.

On page 141 of volume 1 for the “Tindalosian Hybrid” entry, the first line of the second paragraph reads:

• Like anything else tainted or from Tindalos, the physical appearance of a hybrid is strange to human eyes, as their form constantly ripples and shifts, with elements phasing and out of our reality.

The word “in” is missing near the end of the sentence, so it should read:

• Like anything else tainted or from Tindalos, the physical appearance of a hybrid is strange to human eyes, as their form constantly ripples and shifts, with elements phasing in and out of our reality.

On the same page, in the changes to Tindalosian Powers, for the Hyper-Sight entry, I think this is an error:

• Hyper-Sight: costs of magic points for 1 round; power works within a 5-foot (3 m) area.

I think the word “of” is supposed to be a number for the MP cost.

On same page, in the combat entry for attacks per round, the line reads:

• My attack twice per round…

It should read:

• May attack twice per round…
Edited by davewire

In the Crawling Ones entry on p.46, it says, "if the crawling cannot find a means to escape such situations", which seems it should say, ""if the crawling one cannot find a means to escape such situations".

In the Desh entry on p.56, it says, "Thus, one seen at 60 yards/meters may, in the follow second, be biting down on that person’s throat!" I believe this should say, "...in the following second...".

In the Servitor of the Outer Gods entry, p.109, the stat block title calls them "the pipping ones", which presumably should be "piping". It says "pipping" in the Alternative names section on the previous page as well as in the middle of the main paragraph.

Edited by Danial

On page 160 in volume 1, for the “Yith, Great Race of (Old Cone Bodies)” entry, the descriptive text at the beginning, the second sentence begins:

• At the top of cone…

It should read:

• At the top of the cone…

On page 161 in volume 1, continuing the Great Race entry, under the “Human Cult” section, the text reads:

• …a network or cult of human agents devoted to the Yithian minds in is operation.

It should read:

• …a network or cult of human agents devoted to the Yithian minds is in operation.

On page 101 in volume 2, for the "Hastur" entry, under Possible Blessings "Allies", the second sentence states that the minds of servants can be "swopped".  This should be "swapped".  In the same section for "Boneless", the last sentence reads:

• Some may be eventually be granted...

One of the "be"s is unnecessary.  Either or can be removed to read:

• Some may be eventually granted...
  • Some may eventually be granted...

Personally, I like the second better.

On page 104 in volume 2, for the "Hastur" entry, under "Warp Senses", the third sentence reads:

• Reality seems to be bend and reshape...

The word "be" should be removed so it reads:

• Reality seems to bend and reshape...

On page 106 in volume 2, for the "Hastur: Ravening One, The" entry, the second sentence of the first paragraph after "Other names" reads:

• With this entity sent forth to meter out death...

I believe it should say

• With this entity sent forth to mete out death...

On page 109 in volume 2, in the King in Yellow's stat block, under Combat "Attacks per round". The second sentence mentions "Pallid Masks" but it shouldn't be plural.

Hopefully, that along with what was previously pointed out about the Yellow Sign box are all the grammatical errors for the Unspeakable One's entry.  It's a great read so far.

• Like 1

Volume I, page 23, Using and creating monsters, Special Abilities. Table on the right hand side of the page. Entry for the roll 6: "Body Warping of Gorgorth" instead of Body Warping of Gorgoroth.

Moreover, as regards:

On 6/17/2020 at 10:50 PM, Mike M said:

This is not an error. Dagon & Hydra do not have immunities, and as they are not "gods" in the sense of Great Old Ones etc., they can die (and be replaced).

Thank you Mike. I evidently was too eager/not attentive enough. I amended my original post, let me know if there is something else I have to do (beyond paying more attention before posting, obviously).

1 hour ago, Fabio S said:

Thank you Mike. I evidently was too eager/not attentive enough. I amended my original post, let me know if there is something else I have to do (beyond paying more attention before posting, obviously).

Hi - being too eager is not an issue. Paying attention is good - it helps pick up issues that the proofreaders and ourselves missed. Please carry on. You have our thanks.

Edited by Mike M
  • Thanks 1

Looking at the index of Volume II, some Gods are mentioned in multiple places. For example, take Nyarlathotep. Here is the index entry:

image.png.8a7c708b6e4f6a210b0192411a0f6655.png

It would be great if the main entry could be highlighted somehow. In this case, it would be page 142, where the actual article for Nyarlathotep begins.  It could be bold or bold and underline or something. Most of the "popular" Gods have the same problem, should you wish to find the main entry and not just places that mention it.  

For example:

Nyarlathotep . . . . . . . . . . . 10, 11, 13, 20, 21, 32, 33, 47, 49,
97, 124, 125, 139, 142, 144, 145, 146, 148, 149, 150, 152, 153,
154, 156, 157, 158, 160, 161, 164, 165, 219, 225, 227, 253

This could improve the usefulness of the index!

• Like 4