Malleus Monstrorum - Corrections Thread

Mike M

Mike, in light of Meow's latest posts, can you confirm the exact date when the files were sent to the printer? 

I'm new to CoC and was really excited about pre-ordering the physical books from a hobby game store (haven't pulled the trigger yet), but I must admit that the obvious errors and omissions that might remain in the printed books are dampening my enthusiasm. I'm currently unemployed and with many products on the market competing for my attention, my game dollars unfortunately don't stretch as far as they once did.

I imagine that Chaosium will publish an official errata sheet at some point... but given the price of the slipcase set, I'm thinking twice about purchasing.

Thanks for your time.   

Edited by TwiceBorn

All of the corrections noted have been input and updated to the PDF (available now) and in the print files. Thus the printed books will not have these errors in them. I have seen the files and they have been corrected. 

With such large volumes of text it is near impossible to have them error free despite multiple external proofreaders and multiple persons in-house checking. Fresh pairs of eyes from readers of the PDF help to spot things that have been missed - allowing us to fix them for the PDF and the print run. So thanks again to all who posted corrections. 

There will not be an errata sheet for Malleus at this stage, as all errors have been corrected prior to print - and everyone who has purchased it can re-download the PDF. Should any other errors come to light post printing, then errata (as necessary) will be posted, and such errors will be fixed in the PDF and for reprints. This is standard practice for all Chaosium books. We endeavor to make them error free, but we are just humans and do not yet have the multi-dimensional hyper eyesight of Yithians. ; )

• Like 2

Thanks for the lightning quick reply, Mike. 

I understand the challenge of producing error-free books with such massive word counts, but I am really pleased that you managed to catch the errors noted by Meow before submitting to the printer.

I expect these books will be gorgeous, and with your assurances, I feel confident that I can proceed with a pre-order from my favourite game store.

Cheers! 

• Like 1

• Mike M unpinned this topic
  • 4 months later...

For the Malleus_Monstrorum_Volume_II_-_Deities_of_the_Mythos_v1.22.pdf file:

Page 50 - Inside the "TYPICAL PHYSICAL MANIFESTATION: CTHUGHA" text box, "bust" should be "burst".

Flame Burst: may belch forth fire instead of using
pseudopods. A flame bust has a range of 150 yards/
meters and blankets an area of 20 yards/meters with fire,
incinerating most things within

P42 - defaults the standard/lowest value for ease. As detailed in the ability, the damage may vary (3D6) - the stat line directs to the full write up above.

P54 - this again is the default value per spells, as the book suggests, you can adjust this to suit your preference/plot.

Attacks - is the province of the Keeper to decide whether a monster uses one of its multiple attacks to fight or instead cast a spell. Again, plot and circumstance may determine - each monster with human and above INT is not necessarily a fighting machine, and will act in accordance to their own agenda. Humans can act once per combat round - some will attack or maneuver, some with use a skill, some will cast a spell - one size doesn't fit all, and so on. 

Thanks

• 10 months later...

Deities P46 -  May attack with either its claws or mouth to bite, or can send forth one of its viper-like face tentacles to either strike, grab, or bite (each tentacle possesses its own mouth). its nose-tentacle, or a bite on any given round.

The last sentense seems to be from the old version and is not needed.