Learning Rune Magic

mikuel

Questions about learning rune magic for beginning players.  

I'm running Six Seasons in Sartar and my players have just finished the initiation rite into manhood and into a cult.    I was going to have them sacrifice one rune point and give one rune spell.  Then I was reading the differences between spirit magic and rune magic.  It seems that you don't have to pay for rune magic like you do spirit magic.  So, should I allow my PC's to sacrifice as many POW pts. as they want with the rune spells from their cult?  How does this usually work?  It seems easier to get rune spells than spirit magic.  What am I missing?  

AFAIK, yes it is easier to learn Rune magic, but I would argue that POW is a rarer and more precious commodity than coin for paying for magic. I would probably rule, however, that you can only gain 1 RP per major holy day, but I don't think there's any restriction like that RAW. If you're fine with players having a lot of Rune magic up front, go for it. If not, maybe put in a holy day restriction or a monetary cost.

• Like 1

The drawback in sacrificing many Power points at once is that your player character will have a lower Power, and so be less likely to win the next spirit combat etc.

the good part is that in case of a success [check power] you have a greater chance of increasing your power After Adventure.

So it depends on how hot your dice are -  but remember dead PCs gain no power.

6 hours ago, mikuel said:

It seems that you don't have to pay for rune magic like you do spirit magic. 

The primary cost is in your own POW.  As @Squaredeal Sten noted, that means your ability to cast Spirit Magic will be lower, your Resistance to spells will be lower, your ability to fight off spirits will be lower, and even some of your characteristic bonuses may be lowered.

The other cost is in your service to your temple - 10% of time and money as part of being an initiate.  Your reward for such service, including participation in the seasonal holy days (your primary chance to renew your Rune Points), is that you get to act more like your god (i.e. cast their Rune Magic).

3 hours ago, jajagappa said:

The other cost is in your service to your temple - 10% of time and money as part of being an initiate.  Your reward for such service, including participation in the seasonal holy days (your primary chance to renew your Rune Points), is that you get to act more like your god (i.e. cast their Rune Magic

I'd suggest that only goes so far... Perhaps only 1 point per year - probably less )given that they can also get Spirit Magic). Maybe every 3-5 years they can get another chance to sacrifice for another Rune Point (for free)?

Anything above that would take some incentivising... 

There can be a cost associated with learning Rune Magic but it's buried in the Rune Cults section (p275):

At the gamemaster's discretion, an initiate can gain access to the cult's special Rune spells in return for exceptional service to the cult, by donating the equivalent of 100L per point of the spell, or for other reasons that further the cult's goals and standing.

The way I tend to read this is:

• Do something spectacular for the cult? Get access to Rune spells with the customary donation waived.
  • Make the applicable donation(s)? Get access to the relevant number/level of Rune spells.
  • About to be sent on an insanely difficult quest? The cult gives you the spells that they think you'll need for that quest. 

The other point to remember is that sacrificing POW takes a full week (p313) so may conceivably interfere with other training activities for the season (depending on how much of the season the adventurer spent out and about). Against that, if the adventurer has the POW to sacrifice, and the coin to donate, multiple Rune spells can be learnt in that week. 

• Thanks 1