Cheatsheets and Guides

Arcadiagt5

One thing I've been doing for my Roll20 games is compiling cheatsheets that distil particular topics such as spell casting, learning spells, etc from multiple locations in the RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha rule book. @Wookie has been very helpful in my games in this regard.

I do currently have these on private blogs, but if there's interest I'll post them to my main blog and link them here. So far we've needed:

1. Spellcasting guide, including Roll20 screenshots for the commonly used character sheet.
  2. Between Adventures, also with some Roll20 screenshots
  3. Replenishing Runepoints - how, when, and where, and adjustments to the Worship roll
  4. Learning spells - including my interpretation of how the Ancestral Spirits option would work. 
  5. Handling Major Battles - house rule adjustment to the Battle skill after I looked at the published rules and the official clarification and went YIKES
  • Like 6

Check out the GM's shield and the GM's quick reference book in the same pack for a good start on handy stuff to have around. I have no use for Roll 20 so I cant comment on that. 

Note also there is an official battle system coming in future (does not help you now but it is coming) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thaz said:

Check out the GM's shield and the GM's quick reference book in the same pack for a good start on handy stuff to have around.

The GMs shield and reference book are constant go-tos for me. 😊

The issue is more having things I can share with my players online, and also distilling bits from multiple places in the rule book (e.g. the customary donation for learning rune spells isn't in the Rune Magic section, it's under benefits of being an initiate under Rune Cults.

The battle system could be interesting. 

On 6/18/2020 at 8:13 AM, Arcadiagt5 said:
  • Between Adventures, also with some Roll20 screenshots
  • Replenishing Runepoints - how, when, and where, and adjustments to the Worship roll

The latest version of the Gamemaster’s shield pack has useful extras over the original.

CHA4029-CP RQ Players Pack has 

• Between Adventures checklist 
  • Sacred time check list.

Which I think is on your list.

I bought my original version from Chaosium, and, when I recently followed the download link from the original order e-mail, I could download the new stuff.  Don’t know if there’s another way of getting at them.

There’s no easy way of checking what’s changed.  But, from memory, I noticed the Calendar, and new player pack, and I think the maps, which are now all bundled together, had an extra one of Apple Lane.

As for worship, I’ve given up calculating the PC’s chance, they can easily sacrifice MP ‘til they get to 100% (P 184/5) of the rules, so now they automatically succeed unless they roll 96-100.

I’ve a summary of the spirit and rune spells that’s applicable to the adventurers in my campaign (Humakt, Orlanth, Yelmalio, Yinkin).  I think I also threw in Ernalda so it covered common spells.  Also rules summaries for stuff I find useful that isn’t in the GM ref. 

Any of that of use to anyone?  If so, I can add to the download section.

Apologies all, I won't be uploading or linking these. I have been reminded by the moderators that the Fan Policy includes:

You may occasionally quote small sections of text, as long as you make clear where the text is from. By “small sections” we mean up to a few paragraphs.

Some of the guides I put together may well have breached that, so I'll keep them private. 

On 6/19/2020 at 12:52 PM, Arcadiagt5 said:

Apologies all, I won't be uploading or linking these. I have been reminded by the moderators that the Fan Policy includes:

Some of the guides I put together may well have breached that, so I'll keep them private. 

If it's not too much work, can you cite the page-#'s and any other necessary identifiers for the (c)'ed content?

That way, anyone who has the books can assemble comparable DIY game-aids for their own campaigns...

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 6/19/2020 at 12:52 PM, Arcadiagt5 said:

Cheatsheets are usually OK, since they, by definition, collate very small bits, often rephrasing them completely for brevity, and fit on a single page. So you can share those. These are usually the most interesting things IMHO.

If by "guides" you mean "booklets containing a dozen pages of copy/pasted paragraphs" then yeah, those would probably be forbidden... but you can share a description of what you put in them an why, that might be interesting.

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

13 hours ago, lordabdul said:

Cheatsheets are usually OK, since they, by definition, collate very small bits, often rephrasing them completely for brevity, and fit on a single page. So you can share those. These are usually the most interesting things IMHO.

If by "guides" you mean "booklets containing a dozen pages of copy/pasted paragraphs" then yeah, those would probably be forbidden... but you can share a description of what you put in them an why, that might be interesting.

13 hours ago, g33k said:

If it's not too much work, can you cite the page-#'s and any other necessary identifiers for the (c)'ed content?

That way, anyone who has the books can assemble comparable DIY game-aids for their own campaigns...

So as an example, the guide for learning Rune Magic cited: RQG:RPG pages 313-314, 275, and as advisories 57-59 & 254

• 313-314 covers where, duration, number of points of POW to sacrifice, and number/type of spells gained.
  • 275 covers the entitlement to do so - donation per Rune Points of spell, you've just done something spectacular for the cult, or the cult is about to send you off to do something spectacular.
    • Because this is buried in the Rune Cults chapter under benefits of being an initiate it's easy to miss.
  • 57-59 covers reminding players what will happen if they cross bonus bracket ranges. e.g. sacrificing from 17 to 16 affects a lot of skill categories. 
  • 254 covers reminding players about resistance rolls and that dropping too much POW makes casting offensive spells successfully harder. I should ptobably add that it makes base casting of spirit magic harder as well. 

I won't do the others but that's the sort of thing I was generally collating, usually as a numbered list of steps. (e.g. Step 1 in this one is "Visit a temple" :) )

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Aprewett said:

Could it not be released on JC for a small $ amount? (Without breaking copyright)

Since @Arcadiagt5's player guides contain entire pages of text copied verbatim from the rulebook, then no:

Can I copy information from current rulebooks and products into my creation?

You can reference information in the approved rulebooks and products, but please refrain from copying directly from the books whenever possible. An exception to this is monster statistics taken from the RuneQuest Gloranthan Bestiary, RQ3 Creatures Book, and creatures chapter from RuneQuest Classic, which you may reproduce in material for the Jonstown Compendium.

(I also have a dozen pages player introduction guide that contains lightly-edited-down versions of the history of Dragon Pass, homelands, and cults... it would have to be rewritten in my own words to be releasable)

• Like 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

On 6/23/2020 at 1:07 AM, lordabdul said:

Since @Arcadiagt5's player guides contain entire pages of text copied verbatim from the rulebook, then no:

I'm not actually copying entire pages of text. I'm mostly producing bulleted/numbered lists that distill the rules from various pages. 

I'm still not going to risk crossing the line with them though.