No hardcopy version of Pavis & The Big Rubble?

SteelSpyder

I sold the last of P&BR about 8 years ago. I did, however, find a few extra copies in the vaults last year. Please private message me if you are interested.

These are from my private collection, and aren't available at retail prices.

• Thanks 1

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

The Gloranthan Classics (4 volumes) were published between 1999 and 2005. They are tweaked versions of material mainly published for RQ2 (1978-1983) with a small amount of RQ3 (1984-1998) Cult material in the Cult Compendium. Thus, the material is all over 20 years old. Great stuff, but the RQ rules and the world of Glorantha have been evolved since then.  

• Thanks 1

Hope that Helps,

10 hours ago, SteelSpyder said:

I just kind of discovered the new version of Runequest and started looking at the previous stuff, I didn’t realize that these combined editions were so old.

Note that the new "RQG" version is still very very compatible with RQ2/RQ3 mechanics -- intentionally so -- and using the older supplements in a new game (or the new supplements under those older core rules, if you're so inclined) is rather easy!  There's an explicit conversion doc free @Chaosium (and printed in the RQG corebook).

Chaosium did this, I think, with the intention that the RQG core book would arrive to a rather large pre-existing environment of playable content.

If you are interested in "retro'ing" your RQG back a bit on the "canonical" timeline to begin at the canonical RQ2 era, there's a fan-produced supplement that extends the "family history" backgrounds, published on the Jonstown Compendium (the Gloranthan "fan content" site on DTRPG).

C'es ne pas un .sig

12 hours ago, SteelSpyder said:

I realized that the new Runequest ( and Heroquest too I suppose) is very backward compatible, which is why I started looking at the old stuff.

Current HQ is largely backward-compatible with most HQ/HW stuff.  It's mechanically-incompatible with RuneQuest, however.

HQ goes back to "Hero Wars" as the foundational game...  I think the lineage is  HW --> HQ --> HQ2 --> HQG --> QuestWorld (brand new, OGL, not yet in print).  Noted designer Robin Laws is the primary designer, working closely with Greg Stafford.

It's a very "narrative" game system, not terribly simulationist/mechanical like the RQ engine is.  It tends to run natively around the pulp/heroic level, less gritty 

Nonetheless, many RQ folks find the Gloranthan content to be entirely worthwhile, and get various HQ products for the Glorantha, and build-out the RQ mechanics (stat blocks, etc) from scratch.

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 hour ago, g33k said:

Nonetheless, many RQ folks find the Gloranthan content to be entirely worthwhile, and get various HQ products for the Glorantha, and build-out the RQ mechanics (stat blocks, etc) from scratch.

With a great many of us using Handwavium to a greater or lesser extent.

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

I have two spare original Pavis & Big Rubble softcover books. I am willing to sell one for $150, plus priority mail shipping costs.

The last of the original print run sold out almost 10 years ago. They are only available on the secondary markets, like eBay. Finding one at the original retail price is extremely unlikely. The book cannot easily be reprinted because it was printed in 1999, and was printed via film, not a "print quality" PDF, like books are today.

• Thanks 1

Hope that Helps,

On 6/30/2020 at 2:49 PM, Nick Brooke said:

Speaking of the ease of printing modern books from "print quality" PDFs... any news on printed versions of the RuneQuest Classics?

We will have them available as POD via the Chaosium website later this year.

Edited by Rick Meints
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Hope that Helps,

• 4 months later...
26 minutes ago, tmanmerlin said:

any chance you can have the Glorantha Classics POD too. I see you mentioned the issues with the PDF, but surely they are newer than the RuneQuest Classics PDF's?
Just curious and interested.

The RQ Classics were VERY labor-intensive.

That was funded by the RQ Classic Kickstarter, which over-funded by more than $150K -- those supplements (Pavis, Trollpak, Big Rubble, etc) were Stretch Goals of the KS, specifically all that over-funding.

There is not, at this time, any good way to similarly fund the Gloranthan Classics line.

In any case, the Gloranthan Classics are, to a VERY large degree, just reprints of that older material; not actually "newer" in any meaningful way (except for the few places with notable RQ3 content).

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

27 minutes ago, g33k said:

The RQ Classics were VERY labor-intensive.

That was funded by the RQ Classic Kickstarter, which over-funded by more than $150K -- those supplements (Pavis, Trollpak, Big Rubble, etc) were Stretch Goals of the KS, specifically all that over-funding.

There is not, at this time, any good way to similarly fund the Gloranthan Classics line.

In any case, the Gloranthan Classics are, to a VERY large degree, just reprints of that older material; not actually "newer" in any meaningful way (except for the few places with notable RQ3 content).

Yea, it would probably be way more cost effective to take the bits of the Gloranthan Classics that are NOT included somewhere in the RQ Classics line and put them in a single document. Perhaps it would not need the same production quality (not intending to replicate any specific product). I'd certainly love such a product, but even with this thought it may still not be worth the investment to get the material ready in a desirable way (I mean all the pages with material not in the RQ Classics line COULD be extracted from the Gloranthan Classics PDFs and put into a single PDF which would then be small enough folks could just print it on their own, no need for any of the original publishing files...).

In the meantime, maybe someone could actually post page ranges of each Gloranthan Classics product that aren't in RQ Classics... And maybe that's already been done here somewhere... Could be a nice thing to throw up on the Wiki somewhere...

4 hours ago, tmanmerlin said:

any chance you can have the Glorantha Classics POD too. I see you mentioned the issues with the PDF, but surely they are newer than the RuneQuest Classics PDF's?
Just curious and interested.

THE RQ Classics ARE NEWER than the Gloranthan Classics. the RQ Classics were done in 2016-2019. The Glorantha Classics were done in 1999-2005. The only substantive difference between these books is the art, plus some RQ3 cults in the Cult Compendium. 

If you want the Pavis & Big Rubble Gloranthan Classic in printed form, you can buy the RQ Classic Pavis book and the Big Rubble Book and you are basically only missing ONE page of information. If you want the GC Griffin Mountain, just buy the RQ Classic Griffin Mountain. No difference there, same for GC Borderlands and Beyond, just buy the RQ Classic Borderlands, Plunder, and RuneMasters. 

• Like 1

Hope that Helps,

3 hours ago, ffilz said:

Yea, it would probably be way more cost effective to take the bits of the Gloranthan Classics that are NOT included somewhere in the RQ Classics line and put them in a single document. Perhaps it would not need the same production quality (not intending to replicate any specific product). I'd certainly love such a product, but even with this thought it may still not be worth the investment to get the material ready in a desirable way (I mean all the pages with material not in the RQ Classics line COULD be extracted from the Gloranthan Classics PDFs and put into a single PDF which would then be small enough folks could just print it on their own, no need for any of the original publishing files...).

In the meantime, maybe someone could actually post page ranges of each Gloranthan Classics product that aren't in RQ Classics... And maybe that's already been done here somewhere... Could be a nice thing to throw up on the Wiki somewhere...

As always, I am sorry to disappoint you yet again Frank, but I am sure you saw that coming as you typed your post. We don't have the time, energy or desire to do that sort of sifting and sorting. It really isn't worth it when we have people pushing for new RuneQuest, Call of Cthulhu, Pendragon, and other material. If anyone wants any of the Gloranthan Classics they can easily buy them on the secondary market. They are also available as PDFs, so nobody can say they can't get access to the material. Yes, they can say they want to buy a reasonably priced printed copy, but that isn't just ups flipping a switch somewhere. Doing a special POD project to make a few dozen people happy just isn't worth spending our time on it, no matter how cool it would be. You all should know by now that I love getting things back into print. If it was quick and easy I would have already done it. I'm an Issaries merchant. I'm always out to make a quick Lunar. You can see that in person when I'm working the Chaosium booth at conventions (I really miss that right now).

Sadly, the current pdfs we have of some of the Gloranthan Classics don't print out well for POD. They were made to look good on a screen. When we create a book we create two versions of PDFs for it. One is for "interactive" viewing on a screen, and the other is for "print ready". They have different settings and requirements. The "Print ready" version is a much larger file (sometimes 10X the size) than the interactive version. I don't have the print ready versions of the Gloranthan Classics because, as I have said several times in other similar topics, those books were done back in the stone age when film was used to print books. I would have to redo the pagemaker (yes, pagemaker) layout to get a "print ready" PDF for them.

As for your last point, I look forward to one of the tribe doing such a page by page analysis and summary. I don't have the time to do it. In the end, the differences are quite small, especially when you are looking at about 1400 pages of material, out of which I would guesstimate there are maybe 50 pages of gaps in material. In the end, there isn't some vast body of material that is only available in the Gloranthan Classics.

• Like 3

Hope that Helps,

5 minutes ago, Rick Meints said:

As always, I am sorry to disappoint you yet again Frank, but I am sure you saw that coming as you typed your post. We don't have the time, energy or desire to do that sort of sifting and sorting. It really isn't worth it when we have people pushing for new RuneQuest, Call of Cthulhu, Pendragon, and other material. If anyone wants any of the Gloranthan Classics they can easily buy them on the secondary market. They are also available as PDFs, so nobody can say they can't get access to the material. Yes, they can say they want to buy a reasonably priced printed copy, but that isn't just ups flipping a switch somewhere. Doing a special POD project to make a few dozen people happy just isn't worth spending our time on it, no matter how cool it would be. You all should know by now that I love getting things back into print. If it was quick and easy I would have already done it. I'm an Issaries merchant. I'm always out to make a quick Lunar. You can see that in person when I'm working the Chaosium booth at conventions (I really miss that right now).

Sadly, the current pdfs we have of some of the Gloranthan Classics don't print out well for POD. They were made to look good on a screen. When we create a book we create two versions of PDFs for it. One is for "interactive" viewing on a screen, and the other is for "print ready". They have different settings and requirements. The "Print ready" version is a much larger file (sometimes 10X the size) than the interactive version. I don't have the print ready versions of the Gloranthan Classics because, as I have said several times in other similar topics, those books were done back in the stone age when film was used to print books. I would have to redo the pagemaker (yes, pagemaker) layout to get a "print ready" PDF for them.

As for your last point, I look forward to one of the tribe doing such a page by page analysis and summary. I don't have the time to do it. In the end, the differences are quite small, especially when you are looking at about 1400 pages of material, out of which I would guesstimate there are maybe 50 pages of gaps in material. In the end, there isn't some vast body of material that is only available in the Gloranthan Classics.

Oh, you failed to disappoint me... While my post had a hopeful tone that we could get a "differences" document, I acknowledge all of the above. So yea, it would be cool if someone took the time to point out the page numbers in GC that have material not in RQC, I get that there's little incentive to put in that effort. Who knows, maybe I'll do it.

In the meantime, if you want the material, buy the GC PDFs, and if you find something that you want from them that you can't find in the RQC, print out the page(s)...

Sorry if I didn't sound sufficiently grounded in the reality of the situation... 🙂 I totally understand in this case.

If resources were to be spent on getting old material back in print, there's much more worthy fish to fry, like the RQ3 material that WASN'T rehash. Or old fanzines. Or stuff from Gregg's notes (yea, I can wish all I want that material would be published for RQ1 or RQ2, but yea, it's going to be published for RQG, still, the more of it that comes to light in some way, the richer we will all be).

Actually, I'm super pleasantly surprised we got POD for the RQC... I honestly didn't expect many people would want to purchase RQ1 in print...

Frank

Thanks for the FYI Rick.  I like what I suspect is the extras in the Gloranthan classics that add to the originals from which they are compiled.  I was reading my Gloranthan Borderlands and beyond, I love the stuff in the margins.  That might also be in the RQ classics.

Interesting to learn the RQ classics are newer. Glad you all are having a sale on them in PoD too.  The Pavis and Big Rubble RQ classics are a deal and a half !!

Cheers for now.

On 11/4/2020 at 3:15 AM, tmanmerlin said:

Thanks for the FYI Rick.  I like what I suspect is the extras in the Gloranthan classics that add to the originals from which they are compiled.  I was reading my Gloranthan Borderlands and beyond, I love the stuff in the margins.  That might also be in the RQ classics.

Many of the Borderlands & Beyond marginalia are quotes from the Nomad Gods rulebook, the original version of which is available in PDF from Chaosium. (From memory, some are from the English retranslation of the French edition, but explaining the sequence of events would take too long)