SteelSpyder

No hardcopy version of Pavis & The Big Rubble?

Just noticed that of the classic Glorantha compilations only Pavis & The Big Rubble does not list a non PDF version.  Is there no dead tree version for this book or is it just out of stock?

I sold the last of P&BR about 8 years ago. I did, however, find a few extra copies in the vaults last year. Please private message me if you are interested.

These are from my private collection, and aren't available at retail prices.

• Thanks 1

The Gloranthan Classics (4 volumes) were published between 1999 and 2005. They are tweaked versions of material mainly published for RQ2 (1978-1983) with a small amount of RQ3 (1984-1998) Cult material in the Cult Compendium. Thus, the material is all over 20 years old. Great stuff, but the RQ rules and the world of Glorantha have been evolved since then.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SteelSpyder said:

I just kind of discovered the new version of Runequest and started looking at the previous stuff, I didn’t realize that these combined editions were so old.

Note that the new "RQG" version is still very very compatible with RQ2/RQ3 mechanics -- intentionally so -- and using the older supplements in a new game (or the new supplements under those older core rules, if you're so inclined) is rather easy!  There's an explicit conversion doc free @Chaosium (and printed in the RQG corebook).

Chaosium did this, I think, with the intention that the RQG core book would arrive to a rather large pre-existing environment of playable content.

If you are interested in "retro'ing" your RQG back a bit on the "canonical" timeline to begin at the canonical RQ2 era, there's a fan-produced supplement that extends the "family history" backgrounds, published on the Jonstown Compendium (the Gloranthan "fan content" site on DTRPG).

12 hours ago, SteelSpyder said:

I realized that the new Runequest ( and Heroquest too I suppose) is very backward compatible, which is why I started looking at the old stuff.

Current HQ is largely backward-compatible with most HQ/HW stuff.  It's mechanically-incompatible with RuneQuest, however.

HQ goes back to "Hero Wars" as the foundational game...  I think the lineage is  HW --> HQ --> HQ2 --> HQG --> QuestWorld (brand new, OGL, not yet in print).  Noted designer Robin Laws is the primary designer, working closely with Greg Stafford.

It's a very "narrative" game system, not terribly simulationist/mechanical like the RQ engine is.  It tends to run natively around the pulp/heroic level, less gritty 

Nonetheless, many RQ folks find the Gloranthan content to be entirely worthwhile, and get various HQ products for the Glorantha, and build-out the RQ mechanics (stat blocks, etc) from scratch.

1 hour ago, g33k said:

Nonetheless, many RQ folks find the Gloranthan content to be entirely worthwhile, and get various HQ products for the Glorantha, and build-out the RQ mechanics (stat blocks, etc) from scratch.

With a great many of us using Handwavium to a greater or lesser extent.

3 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

With a great many of us using Handwavium to a greater or lesser extent.

<nods sagely>

The preferred medium of many grognards!

I have two spare original Pavis & Big Rubble softcover books. I am willing to sell one for $150, plus priority mail shipping costs.

The last of the original print run sold out almost 10 years ago. They are only available on the secondary markets, like eBay. Finding one at the original retail price is extremely unlikely. The book cannot easily be reprinted because it was printed in 1999, and was printed via film, not a "print quality" PDF, like books are today.

• Thanks 1

On 6/30/2020 at 2:49 PM, Nick Brooke said:

Speaking of the ease of printing modern books from "print quality" PDFs... any news on printed versions of the RuneQuest Classics?

We will have them available as POD via the Chaosium website later this year.

Edited by Rick Meints
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2