Another up vote for Six Seasons in Sartar

GAZZA

I finally got around to reading it. To put this in perspective, I'd been informed that SSoS had a useful "summary method" of running RQG NPCs rather than have to use full stat blocks for all of them - and that alone was the main reason I purchased it.

Ironically I'd say that was actually the weakest part. Oh don't get me wrong, those rules are there, and they're useful... but they're not (IMHO) substantially time saving over a full stat block anyway. If you were looking for something that, for example, meant you didn't have to track location hit points for Random Broo #3, you won't find that here.

But you should absolutely buy it anyway.

I can think of no higher praise for the campaign within than to note this: I wish I hadn't started my existing RQG game, so that I could instead have my players experience this campaign instead. And one way or the other I will find a way to make that happen - whether by having them make alternate PCs, or by adapting the scenarios somehow to serve the existing PCs (who are from varied backgrounds and will be in their mid 20s by the time of the events, so this isn't necessarily straightforward).

This is a tour de force, and the standard by which all other RQG supplements should be judged. Kudos to the authors, and to anyone who has yet to check this out, do yourself a favour and grab a copy for yourself, you won't regret it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, GAZZA said:

I'd been informed that SSoS had a useful "summary method" of running RQG NPCs rather than have to use full stat blocks for all of them

It wasn't really a stand out for me either but I really liked that each Runes had a specific personality trait attached to it. It really gives texture to the characters.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Fred said:

I know they are very different in build and format, but which one of the other two  (Smoking or Pegasus?) do you prefer in terms of quality of adventures and storytelling? Role-playing and mood is more important than battle for my players. Which book made you more excited to run stuff as a GM?

This is the first of them I've bought and read. There are however several places that the other Jonstown stuff have been reviewed; off hand I don't have the link, but it should be on the recent activity page.

47 minutes ago, GAZZA said:
15 hours ago, Fred said:

I know they are very different in build and format, but which one of the other two  (Smoking or Pegasus?) do you prefer in terms of quality of adventures and storytelling? Role-playing and mood is more important than battle for my players. Which book made you more excited to run stuff as a GM?

This is the first of them I've bought and read.

Quick nota bene, Six Seasons in Sartar and other Jonstown stuff isn't official Chaosium stuff; TSR and TPP aren't part of the Jonstown Compendium. :)

As for Fred's question, I much prefer TPP over TSR. The adventurers feel much more at the center of the action, to me. The title adventure of TSR is perhaps the most interesting story published thus far, but I feel the adventurers are more along for the ride, than making active choices.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

1 minute ago, Crel said:

Quick nota bene, Six Seasons in Sartar and other Jonstown stuff isn't official Chaosium stuff; TSR and TPP aren't part of the Jonstown Compendium. :)

As for Fred's question, I much prefer TPP over TSR. The adventurers feel much more at the center of the action, to me. The title adventure of TSR is perhaps the most interesting story published thus far, but I feel the adventurers are more along for the ride, than making active choices.

Ah, yes, thank you for the correction. Regardless I haven't read (or purchased) either; my own campaign is set in 1616 so I've more or less given most of the RQG stuff a miss so far as essentially "not particularly relevant for my current time period". SSoS was an exception because I'd heard it had some useful stuff in it to steal; I was quite surprised to find that the actual campaign setting itself was so good.

1 hour ago, GAZZA said:

Ah, yes, thank you for the correction.

No worries, the mistake's not rare.

I will note that many of the new adventures do seem to me like they'd fit fine in older time periods, at least if you're in Sartar. The new material's less supportive if you're in Prax (though there is some stuff).

Anyway, hope you're enjoying your campaign!

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

3 minutes ago, Crel said:

No worries, the mistake's not rare.

I will note that many of the new adventures do seem to me like they'd fit fine in older time periods, at least if you're in Sartar. The new material's less supportive if you're in Prax (though there is some stuff).

Anyway, hope you're enjoying your campaign!

Seems to be going OK, but yeah - I'm in Prax for the most part. However I am intending to get all of the newer stuff - it's just a priorities situation (and honestly I want more of the supplements for RQG than I want more adventures, at the moment).

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I hate to come late to a party!!!!  Really, there should be some sort of magic that alerts authors when people are talking about their book.

I wrote, edited, and yes (sorry) illustrated "Six Seasons in Sartar."  As you probably already know the hardcover is out and available, LOL.  Like i said, a month late to the party.  

GAZZA, thank you.  Really.  That made my night tripping across this by accident.  You are right about the stat block thing; you can just give things a CR and go from there, like Broo CR 3.  But yeah, RQG is still detail oriented.  If any of you like, go back to DriveThru and you will find a free (yes FREE) HQG/13G adaptation book that has a cinematic set of RQG rules to streamline things a tad bit more...but still.  There is only so far you can push it before it isn't RQG any more.

Anyway, thanks to all of you.  I am now a couple of books away from being a Gold bestseller (only the second JC Book to do so) and I owe it to you guys and threads like this one.  So really, thank you.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 9:54 PM, Crel said:

The title adventure of TSR is perhaps the most interesting story published thus far, but I feel the adventurers are more along for the ride, than making active choices.

I agree.  TSR had very interesting NPCs.  But too much of "NPC#1 has a long talk with NPC#4 while the PCs sit around..."

Scenario writers please take note: don't fall too much in love with your NPCs!