Secrets of Dorastor (Jonstown Compendium)

soltakss

6 hours ago, soltakss said:

Also, i had to google Hentai to find out what it meant. The images seem rather tame for Dorastor.

It means something different in English than in other languages. In English it means perverse transformation sex, starting from Hokusai's classic octopus masturbation fantasy from 1814 entitled The Dream of the Fisherman's Wife. Monster sex.

In Japanese, and in other languages, it actually means a wide range of perverted stuff, which can be incredibly tame (if you aren't vanilla): "girl on top" is hentai. Under Japanese law, pubic hair is hentai (and was illegal to show). It just means "perverted".

This leads to a confusion when people say hentai.

We're talking "demonic elephant sex" when we're joking about it here, not "a little light bondage"

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/16/2020 at 11:10 PM, Akhôrahil said:
On 7/16/2020 at 9:58 PM, Tyrian Telbenj said:

I'm reading Secret of Dorastor and i find it really usefull becouse i'm mastering a campaign in dorastor...really appreciate...thx

Hope you can tell us more - there seems to be more of them around than one’d think!

Yes, I am always interested in how other people see Dorastor.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

11 minutes ago, soltakss said:

Yes, I am always interested in how other people see Dorastor.

Even when it’s something very different from my own view - I just jumped in my seat at the Neverdead text where there’s a pro-Undead (!) Earth Great temple with multiple Vampire-priestesses (!!) and 200 (!!!) god-talkers there. I mean, not in my Dorastor, but the idea of an obscene little Illuminated Earth cult there is still a nice idea regardless.

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

Even when it’s something very different from my own view - I just jumped in my seat at the Neverdead text where there’s a pro-Undead (!) Earth Great temple with multiple Vampire-priestesses (!!) and 200 (!!!) god-talkers there. I mean, not in my Dorastor, but the idea of an obscene little Illuminated Earth cult there is still a nice idea regardless.

Here is the rationale:

• Neverdead has vast fields and zombie farmers working them.
  • The Cult of Dorastor has a monopoly on grain in Dorastor, so must be collecting the grain.
  • There is a Necropolis in Neverdead and I had a Granary, both are earth-based, so you need an Earth Cult to control them.
  • Dorasta is a ready-made earth goddess who suits the area
  • When an Earth priestess gets old and is about to die, she can pass to the Halls of Asrelia or can become a vampire and continue serving the cult of Dorasta

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

9 minutes ago, soltakss said:

When an Earth priestess gets old and is about to die, she can pass to the Halls of Asrelia or can become a vampire and continue serving the cult of Dorasta

In my book, this would absolutely require Illumination - Vivamort/Nontraya is the archenemy of Ernalda (and I see Land/Grain Godesses mostly as local variations and subcults of Ernalda). Without Illumination, Spirits of Reprisal would hit you like a brick. It’s only one step up from Humakti vampires.

Of course, you have a partially Chaos-aligned Dorasta, which makes this more feasible. But even so, there’s an obvious tension between a fertility cult and vampirism (which is all about stealing life).

Edited by Akhôrahil

On 7/18/2020 at 7:10 PM, Akhôrahil said:

In my book, this would absolutely require Illumination

This is Dorastor, you know!

It’s only one step up from Humakti vampires.

Hur, hur, hur!

I didn't include them in Secrets of Dorastor, as i didn't want loads of grognards complaining that "Humakti can't become undead", but some of the Broos of the Undead Legion become Vampires and take advantage that Vivamort helped Humakt steal the power of Death from Hell and so, Humakt and Vivamort are friendly. The Undying Death is a very small, elite group of Humakti Broo Vampires.

But even so, there’s an obvious tension between a fertility cult and vampirism (which is all about stealing life).

Of course. The Vampire Priestesses of Dorasta do not steal life, the Initiates and lay Members give their life freely to serve the Priestesses.

Edited by soltakss
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, soltakss said:

This is Dorastor, you know!

Mmm, I run Illumination more as an elite state, something the overwhelming percentage of people will never achieve (and probably even fewer chaotics, as mental discipline and intellectual excellence tends to go poorly with chaoticism in most cases), no matter how practical it is. The Lunar Heartlands is almost certainly the most illuminated place in Glorantha, and I can’t imagine more than a couple percent of the population are Illuminated.

Edited by Akhôrahil

18 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

Mmm, I run Illumination more as an elite state, something the overwhelming percentage of people will never achieve

There are not many priestesses of Dorasta, so it is an elite.

In modern Glorantha it may well be an elite thing, but has not always been. There are accounts of Nysaloran mobs running around and making demands, these were thousands of illuminated peasants.

In my Dorastor, several of the rulers were around when Nysalor was alive, so they are highly Illuminated and teach their followers.

• 1 month later...
Another 5* Review for Secrets of Dorastor (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/318512/Secrets-of-Dorastor?affiliate_id=66807). Horrible, Heroic and Dreadful, what more could I ask for? The review is below:

Horrible... Dreadfall... Heroic...
Everything you wanted your Dorastor to be and much that you never new you needed. For my personal use it'll likely be more of a source book than a campaing setting, but Secrets of Dorastor is a great asset in both cases.

• 2 weeks later...
Master Gollum has redone the layout for Secrets of Dorastor in Classic Mode, to look more like the original Dorastor Land of Doom and Lords of Terror formats.

I have added this as a free download to Secrets of Dorastor, so you can access it by checking out your DTRPG library.

Many thanks to Master Gollum for offering to do this.
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Another 5* Review for Secrets of Dorastor, bringing it to thirteen 5* Reviews:
Bought this a while back and have been digesting it. Full disclosure, I was one of the authors early victims in RQ, but if I didn't love the product I wouldn't rate it, just politely ignore it. The book is not ready to play, and that is a strength. instead the author provides information on creatures, personalities and items, together with scenario hooks that any decent gm would be able to see possibilities in. i knew a few things here already, as I had used them in my campaigns having seen how interesting they were (the spirit warriors are a boon to the time strapped gm). Open the book at random to any page (well amost , i just did it and got a full page picture) and you will have interesting details on something, together with clever scenario ideas, many of which are laugh out loud funny in the deviousness. Dorastor is an awful place. Enjoy.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Another 5* Review for Secrets of Dorastor by Leon K, bringing it to eight 5* Reviews and another eight 5* Ratings, making 16 in all:

I am not an unbiased reviewer, as I have dealings with the author, but this is an awsome product and well worth the price.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/318512/Secrets-of-Dorastor?affiliate_id=66807

• 2 weeks later...

The Hardcopy and Bundle for Secrets of Dorastor are now live.

The Eagle-Eyed amongst you might have noticed that there is not a discount for the hardcopy if you have previously bought the PDF. This is intentional, to reduce the impact on DTRPG Customer Services.

However, because I am a nice GM and you rolled 01 on your Bargain skill, or I rolled 100, if you send me a screenshot (soltakss@yahoo.com) showing that you have previously bought the PDF and have also bought the Hardcopy, or have bought the Hardcopy and PDF Bundle, I will send you a $10 Gift Certificate to your DTRPG account. This, of course, comes with some Terms and conditions:

• Only 1 Discount per Order
  • Screenshots have to be complete enough to show the two orders
  • You need to tell me the Email Address that you used for your DTRPG Order
  • If this is abused, I will discontinue the offer

So, if I have 10 sales after the hardcopy has gone live and receive 20 emails saying that people have bought the hardcopy I will make some checks and suspend the offer. I might even send Wally after you ...

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/318512/Secrets-of-Dorastor?affiliate_id=66807

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Requests for a refund of $10.00 for those purchasing Secrets of Dorastor in both hardcopy and PDF have dried up. 

I keep checking my SPAM, just in case, but nothing has come through.

So, a reminder, anyone who has bought the Hardcopy and PDF of Secrets of Dorastor, either separately or together, can email me at soltakss@yahoo.com with a screenshot of the orders and I will send a DTRPG Gift Certificate $10.00 to the email address used for the order.

For those who may be worried whether I can afford this, I am simply using the markup from the Secrets of Dorastor hardcopy for this, so have no fears about that!

• 2 weeks later...

Another 5* Review for Secrets of Dorastor, this one by Scott S, taking it to 9 5* Reviews and 8 5* Ratings, so 17 in all:
Where your SuperWorld characters go to die. This is a womderful product that outshines the previous Gloranthan renaissance.