Sign in to follow this  
soltakss

Secrets of Dorastor (Jonstown Compendium)

A snip at $25.00 for 259 pages, it comes out as a Bargain on the Brooke Scale.

From Nick's Scenarios: "Complexity: medium to high – a massive collection of material compiled from many years spent running RuneQuest games in Dorastor, including many self-consciously gross old-school elements – tips sadistic gamemasters can use to upset munchkin players, rules for “hyper-critical” hits, and a boyish enthusiasm for violated orifices, succubi and acid damage. The author writes with oblivious relish about this disturbing material."

Secrets of Dorastor is a campaign pack set in the fabled land of Dorastor, in Greg Stafford's Glorantha.

Inside you will find:
  • A gazetteer of over one hundred places, with a map of Dorastor and nearby areas and maps of key places in Dorastor
  • Descriptions of forty personalities, both of Dorastor and the surrounding Borderlands
  • 25 types of Monster, of animal, vegetable and mineral types
  • Write-ups of 9 Organizations
  • RuneQuest write-ups of 8 Cults, including adapting the cult of Humakt to Dorastor
  • New abilities for Illuminates and a description of Illumination and its various Schools
  • 15 Magic Items
  • Encounter Tables of all the important areas of Dorastor
  • Sample Campaign and Scenario Hooks
  • Extended RuneQuest rules for High Level Adventurers
  • Tips for playing High Level Adventurers and NPCs

Based on the write-up of our Dorastor Campaign, with a great deal of extra material, this covers the land and people of Dorastor and its Borderlands.

WARNING: Dorastor is the most horrible part of Glorantha, a cursed land full of terrors. Secrets of Dorastor deals with extreme horror, with topics including violence, cannibalism, seduction, forced matings, ritual sacrifice and the liberal use of acid. Please do not purchase this if these themes might cause offense.

SecretsOfDorastorCoverImage.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Of course, it isn't all about violated orifices, succubi and acid damage. It has poison as well.

I deliberately did not include the Sisters of Pain, an order of Krarsht courtesan assassins, who use a combination of courtesan techniques and sweat acid to slay their targets.

• Like 4

I'm already excited for the scenarios & campaigns followups, esp. Tower of Lead!

("Tower of Night" from LoT finally sees the light of day?)

• Like 1

For those of us not blessedcursed enough to already own DLoD, how significant is that material to this product?

How much effort should one put into getting the older content?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, g33k said:

For those of us not blessedcursed enough to already own DLoD, how significant is that material to this product?

You really want D:LoD and Cults (or even better, Lords) of Terror.

• Like 2

On 6/26/2020 at 4:08 PM, Snugz said:

I'm already excited for the scenarios & campaigns followups, esp. Tower of Lead!

("Tower of Night" from LoT finally sees the light of day?)

Yes, it will be my own version, as I designed it, only for the Players to decide that it looked far too dangerous and went somewhere else.

(I am not sure if it will be this year, I have to find the scenario in my mouldy old stack of paper documents, first.

22 hours ago, g33k said:

You don't need Dorastor Land of Doom or Cults of Terror, as Secrets of Dorastor has all you need for a Dorastor or Riskland Campaign.

Where I described something that is included in either supplement, I have referred to the Page Number and have not repeated the description. There are a few of those.

So, if you want to see how Dorastor Land of Doom described those areas or people, then it is useful.

Also, I have listed the personalities from both supplements, as they are useful NPCs, but not described them. I suppose I could have included them as RQG Conversions, but that wouldn't have been right, in my opinion.

18 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:
22 hours ago, g33k said:

You really want D:LoD and Cults (or even better, Lords) of Terror.

If you can get hold of them, then they are all great.

Dorastor Land of Doom has more on the Renekotling Clan, a mini campaign and has descriptions of some areas.

Lords of Terror has some good chaos Cults, including small writeups not in Cults of Terror.

Both have very powerful NPCs that can be used to further terrorise Adventurers.

Cults of Terror was a masterpiece when it came out and still has really good stuff. It is also available in the RQ Classic range. Alternatively, the Cults Compendium should contain them.

So, for extra material they are really useful.

In fact, I would go so far to say that you should get them as additional material to supplement Secrets of Dorastor!

19 minutes ago, Frp said:

Love the sidebars with 'authors comments'.

Thanks.

I cut a lot of them out, for space reasons. However, I am planning a freebie with all the Author's Comments that I cut out of Secrets of Dorastor.

• Like 4

Well, I have had my first review for Secrets of Dorastor.

Five Stars: If you have any interest at all in Dorastor, then BUY THIS BOOK! Yes, book. This monstrosity is over 250 pages, chock full from beginning to end. Quality stuff. And the secrets! But I cannot share those, so let me mention just a few of the great things about Secrets of Dorastor. Scenario Hooks: There are text boxes sprinkled throughout with ways to entangle adventurers into the creatures and features of Dorastor. Imagine if a Master Gamemaster laid out his or her brain for all to see and learn from. Okay, maybe don’t imagine that, but imagine if he or she shared knowledge with you. All the tips and tricks for running a campaign in Dorastor are here. New, New, New: Crazy number of new creatures, spells, and items. It says 15 magic items on the back, but the author must have left a zero off the end. For example, there is a Treasures section near the end, with all sorts of new magic items, besides all the Things and items scattered throughout. Most have the taint of chaos you would expect of anything found in Dorastor, but there are some truly great things that can be found anywhere in Glorantha as well. Artwork: I am a fan of artwork and Secrets has plenty, old and new. It was nice to see some of the old pieces of art in here. Anyways, if none of that has you interested in purchasing Secrets of Dorastor, then I don’t know what will. I am very happy to have bought this product and I look forward to future purchases from him.

If anyone spots any typos and mistakes, then please let me know here.

There is no need for a different thread, posting here will do.

I am planning on maybe weekly updates, depending on the number of issues found. Hopefully there won't be many.

Finished the book and greatly enjoyed it!

I spotted a few typos here and there, but nothing that obscured the meaning of the text. 

(I totally would have signed up with the Shadowmages, too.)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Frp said:

Finished the book and greatly enjoyed it!

Thanks.

14 hours ago, Frp said:

I spotted a few typos here and there, but nothing that obscured the meaning of the text. 

If you can point them out then I can fix them. I've got some from various people, here and there.

14 hours ago, Frp said:

(I totally would have signed up with the Shadowmages, too.)

It seemed like a good idea at the time, but the PCs totally abused it.