Jump to content
Fred

Favorite House Rules

Recommended Posts

It looks like it wasn't mentioned yet on this thread, but a house rule I use is that a failure on a Passion roll gives you -20% (instead of -10%). That puts it in line with the other augments mechanics (actually it's such a ridiculous difference IMHO that it almost looks like a typo... if it was really on purpose, add this to the pile of rules where RQG seems to confuse "crunch" with "fiddly").

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, lordabdul said:

It looks like it wasn't mentioned yet on this thread, but a house rule I use is that a failure on a Passion roll gives you -20% (instead of -10%). That puts it in line with the other augments mechanics (actually it's such a ridiculous difference IMHO that it almost looks like a typo... if it was really on purpose, add this to the pile of rules where RQG seems to confuse "crunch" with "fiddly").

The specific penalties are where the balance in my mind comes in. For Runic Inspiration, it's from all further rolls using that Rune until the adventurer can spend a fully day meditating on the rune (rqg229), and for Passions its all further rolls for the duration of the scene (rqg 235). So the percentage penalty to passions is lower but it applies to every single roll the person makes from there on out, runes has a higher percentage hit but only applies to rolls made using that rune.

On this closer reading that I did to answer this comment, I realized I had been using those results for Runes and Passions instead of subtracting 20 from the current roll the player was making rather than in addition to the straight penalty for augmenting in general. Lots of moving parts is lots of moving parts, team.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 10baseT said:
On 7/20/2020 at 8:16 AM, soltakss said:
On 7/19/2020 at 10:50 PM, 10baseT said:
On 7/6/2020 at 8:46 PM, lordabdul said:

"GURPS: Roleplaying in Glorantha"

That would be an awesome thing to see. Do it good sir!!!

It has already been done. I am sure I have a PDF somewhere on my Hard Drive.

Inquiring minds want to know

I can't make it available through BRP Central, as it is under copyright. PM me for a more detailed explanation.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, lordabdul said:

You could take a page out of CoC 7e by doing the following:

  • Having 1 or 2 HP left doesn't do anything particular anymore. If you want, you make add a rule that you need to roll CON (once or every round) to not fall unconscious.
  • At 0 HP left, you're "dying". You fall unconscious automatically. You roll CON every round to prevent dying. Hopefully someone saves you quickly.

If you want to further reduce the lethality, you can state that, at 0 HP, you're only "dying" if you took a "big enough" wound some time during the scene (CoC calls it Major Wound, and you get one if you take more than half your total HP in one attack). Otherwise, 0 HP just makes you unconscious but you can "shake it off"... It's especially appropriate in CoC to differentiate between getting beaten unconscious in a fist fight vs getting killed in a fire fight.

Get the CoC 7e PDF if you want do know more.

I might actually use a version of this. Thanks for the ideas!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On alternate rules systems, I’ve been playing around with an Apocalypse World hack for Glorantha. It’s still pretty rough, a proof of concept really, but close to usable. It consists of some prototype Orlanthi playbooks and a set of basic moves. If you know Apocalypse World or Monster of the Week it should make sense, otherwise not so much.

RuneHack Playbooks

 Reference Sheets 

I stopped working on it because if I was to run a game in Glorantha it would most likely be a Lunar game, which would require a completely different set of playbooks and revamped basic moves. One day maybe.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

Do you realize how confusing it is that we have a Simon Phipps and a Simon Hibbs? Poor form!

Actually it’s Simon Hibbs, Philip Hibbs and Simon Phipps.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

Speaking of "house rules", how has nobody made a hack yet that uses the Runes as straight-up stats with skills as subgroupings?

Obvious approach (heh) for your FATE Accelerated Glorantha game! There's even six of them!

Edited by Akhôrahil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Akhôrahil said:

Obvious approach (heh) for your FATE Accelerated Glorantha game!

it would speed up heroic combat a lot, I admit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

Do you realize how confusing it is that we have a Simon Phipps and a Simon Hibbs? Poor form!

Actually, Simon Phipp ...

2 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:
2 hours ago, simonh said:

Actually it’s Simon Hibbs, Philip Hibbs and Simon Phipps.

Not helping!

Also, Simon Bray, making up the third of the RuneQuest Simons.

I just take credit for anything good that "Simon" says and assume that anything bad is done by the other Simons, it is easier that way.

It also means that I get congratulated on my excellent artwork at times, which is always good. Anyone who has seen my artwork knows what I mean.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, soltakss said:

Also, Simon Bray, making up the third of the RuneQuest Simons.

That still leaves two aspects to be reborn before we have the full set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

Speaking of "house rules", how has nobody made a hack yet that uses the Runes as straight-up stats with skills as subgroupings?

I did think about it because the category of skills greatly correspond to the Power Runes. Replacing all categories with Runes Skills and use the skills as we do with HQ specialisations.
Agility -> Movement
Manipulation -> Stasis
Communication -> Harmony
Discretion -> Disorder
Perception -> Illusion
Knowledge -> Truth

Fight -> Mastery
Magic -> Magic
Heroic abilities -> Infini

15 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

Obvious approach (heh) for your FATE Accelerated Glorantha game! There's even six of them!

15 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

it would speed up heroic combat a lot, I admit

This could do the trick for a oneshot or a quest playing as another characters/gods. I usually do it with Herowars rules because it's the simplest Glorantha system

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MJ Sadique said:

I did think about it because the category of skills greatly correspond to the Power Runes. Replacing all categories with Runes Skills and use the skills as we do with HQ specialisations.
Agility -> Movement
Manipulation -> Stasis
Communication -> Harmony
Discretion -> Disorder
Perception -> Illusion
Knowledge -> Truth

Fight -> Mastery
Magic -> Magic
Heroic abilities -> Infini[ty]

wouldn't it be better to use Death for fighting and Life for ... something else? Mastery isn't really appropriate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

wouldn't it be better to use Death for fighting and Life for ... something else? Mastery isn't really appropriate.

Yeah, Mastery should cover heroic abilities based on what Jeff's been saying recently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2020 at 12:52 PM, Qizilbashwoman said:

Speaking of "house rules", how has nobody made a hack yet that uses the Runes as straight-up stats with skills as subgroupings?

Because that's kind of what HeroQuest is about, if you tilt your head a bit? Or do you actually mean "straight up RuneQuest with all the combat and skill crunch, only with Runes instead of DEX/INT/POW/etc"?

Edited by lordabdul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, lordabdul said:

Because that's kind of what HeroQuest is about, if you tilt your head a bit? Or do you actually mean "straight up RuneQuest with all the combat and skill crunch, only with Runes instead of DEX/INT/POW/etc"?

The latter would definitely work - there’s an old Free League RPG that uses elements as characteristics for a world where it’s far less motivated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

wouldn't it be better to use Death for fighting and Life for ... something else? Mastery isn't really appropriate.

At first, it why I think but Combat mean attack (Death & Luck), parry (Fertility -opposed to death-) and dodge (movement); Also hand to hand or natural weapon does not use a weapon (death). So combat cannot be Death alone 'cause you cannot use death rune to dodge (flee from) an attack...

In the end, it cover more the generalities of combat like the Rune of Magic is a global rune for rune of sorcery, the theism rune, the animism rune...

Moreover the triplet Mastery-Magic-Infini are the core conditions Runes; To describe combat Magic and special heroic abilities, Death+Magic+mastery or Death+Magic+Infini are not a great triplet. The choice I made is a Design choice to get a good Glorantha Vision/Feeling.

5 hours ago, Richard S. said:

Yeah, Mastery should cover heroic abilities based on what Jeff's been saying recently.

As Mastery ("The all-purpose Rune" ) mean "Master of..." which mean command / control so appropriate for skills or anything; As Master of Men, it describes a hero and The Infini is the mark of heroes ans gods also appropriate for heroic abilities. In term of runes, conditions runes cannot be used alone for heroic abilities or others things (At the player scale), the choice of Jeff is indeed the best of but not the only one ... as you need another rune after the Mastery one !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, lordabdul said:

Because that's kind of what HeroQuest is about, if you tilt your head a bit? Or do you actually mean "straight up RuneQuest with all the combat and skill crunch, only with Runes instead of DEX/INT/POW/etc"?

* I was thinking about a hack of RQ rather than HQ; HQ exists (and I like it but it's different from what I'm thinking about)

* the hack is nebulous but would involve tying skills to Power runes more directly. I'm thinking not only about secondary Runes as above, but about, for example, Life as your stamina as well as a cultic bonus to your healing/planting skills; Orlanthi warriors don't just tag into Ernalda as a minor cult member just because it's "expected".

* Death Rune as combat makes Storm Bulls and other Death Rune worshippers immediately scarier, but Mastery rune lets you do ... something special per deity? Plus you have your spells. Orlanthis are good fighters despite no Death rune.

* Plus some things are gonna get you a bonus: Sun has bonus to horse riding (but no other riding) and to phalanx combat (pike, etc.). As a top of the head thing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only house rule in the game I run regards passions.  At the end of each session players can select 2 different passions rated less than 80 to shift up or down 1d6.

on the player side I've found that middling passions don't tend to move much, and I wanted to give my players a way to sculpt their characters' inner life a bit outside of using their passions for augments.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2020 at 4:44 PM, Qizilbashwoman said:

* I was thinking about a hack of RQ rather than HQ; HQ exists (and I like it but it's different from what I'm thinking about)

* the hack is nebulous but would involve tying skills to Power runes more directly. I'm thinking not only about secondary Runes as above, but about, for example, Life as your stamina as well as a cultic bonus to your healing/planting skills; Orlanthi warriors don't just tag into Ernalda as a minor cult member just because it's "expected".

* Death Rune as combat makes Storm Bulls and other Death Rune worshippers immediately scarier, but Mastery rune lets you do ... something special per deity? Plus you have your spells. Orlanthis are good fighters despite no Death rune.

* Plus some things are gonna get you a bonus: Sun has bonus to horse riding (but no other riding) and to phalanx combat (pike, etc.). As a top of the head thing.

This actually sounds quite interesting!  I presume you begin with the Rune/Skill associations in the RQG core rulebook... then need to further tie the rest of the skills to Runes, too.  Or get rid of any that don't fit, or something...

I do encourage you to keep working on this idea.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2020 at 9:49 AM, GAZZA said:

I loathe the resistance table - it only makes sense if all characteristics are intended to be logarithmic in scale, which they clearly aren't

Actually they clearly were in prior editions of RQ and BRP, if you look at the old SIZ table, and mostly still are if you look at the stats for animals and other creatures. 

On 7/18/2020 at 9:49 AM, GAZZA said:

Logically, if you have STR 2 versus STR 1 you should have the same chance of success as STR 10 versus STR 5, but you don't.

That's only one logical way to look at it, based entirely upon the idea that attributes are proportional, but it isn not the only way. While it is supported by the points you brought up with RQG carrying capacity, magic points and such, it doesn't hold up well once you factor in animal stats. A horse or brown bear are more than three times as strong as a man, and weight much more than three times as much. So the stat progression is clearly not linear or proportional. The damage modifier progression of +16 for +1D6 and weapon damages and armor values don't seem linear either. 

The ptrouble is that stats try to follow two different progressions. A mostly linear one for characters,and a non-linear one for larger creatures to keep the numbers under control. 

 

My biggest gripe with the resistance table is that it's kinda archaic and randomizes some things that probably shouldn't be. For instance a man who could lift a 40 pound rock on one day, might not be able to on the next.

On 7/18/2020 at 9:49 AM, GAZZA said:

Mind you I still use it, because I don't have any other better ideas for a simple comparison with a random factor

There are other approaches but it requires some sort of scale for attributes and some sort of agreement as to what the relative chances of success should be. For instance if someone is twice as strong should they have twice the chance of winning a tug of war, or would it be automatic? 

On 7/18/2020 at 9:49 AM, GAZZA said:

, but the only reason it works at all is because usually the compared values are all around 10 or so.

No, it would work just the same if all the usually compared values were around 20 or 30. The main reason why it works is because the the usually compared values are all within 8 points of each other due to most character attributes being generated on a 3d6 or 2d6+6 bell curve..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, g33k said:

This actually sounds quite interesting!  I presume you begin with the Rune/Skill associations in the RQG core rulebook... then need to further tie the rest of the skills to Runes, too.  Or get rid of any that don't fit, or something...

I do encourage you to keep working on this idea.

Yeah I kind of just wanted to get rid of the stat focus (size, strength) and make it Rune focused. I'm still not quite working it out, but it immediately makes Death rune cults scary as hell to make Death the murderin' stat. It also means access to spells like Bladesharp and cult skills like 1h sword really important for cults like Orlanth, and suddenly the importance of Pike and Shield and the use of cavalry is immediately obvious for Yelmalio.

It makes you really lean into your cult affiliations.

Not quite figured out all the Runes, because I feel like I haven't got a complete handle on each of them, especially Moon and Storm. Or Mastery, which might be the source of the Orlanthi fearsome battle prowess? It's not Storm Bull cultists alone.

I also definitely don't have the maths for really balancing this. I'd say that you'd have to build your character's runes up to fit your chosen cult at start, but that doesn't mean you can't also have fighting abilities. The issue is when your Death rune starts to climb up there and you are supposed to be an Eirithan. That's Waha's job in Prax (well, also Storm Bull, I guess).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Late to the party (been way to busy planning cattle raids and contests to be posting for the past couple of months),  but here is a fave HR of mine. I notice a lot or Home Rules gravitate to fixing rules (their are exceptions, see the above Rune discussion, of course I think Runes are a great rules and mood setter fix by themselves). I love me the HRs that set the scene and move the story. Here is a fave of mine I gave in another forum ...

   7 hours ago,  David Scott said: 

Stoves are late Bronze age (if at all). They seemed to be little more that better organised fire pits that contained the fire a bit better, or had a shelf with a hole to support a pot. Lack of chimneys meant rooms were smoke filled (still a problem today).

Always loved Thunder Rebels use of bags of wind that the grandmothers would wield every morning to chase away smoke from the cooking fires, miasma, bad airs and odours and to bring in the their free friends. the fresh breezes! Truly a great way to wake up in a communal stead.

 

Edited by Bill the barbarian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...