Kallyr Starbrow's Final Fate in Boldhome

Glorion

As far as I know there is no "official version" of the final fate of the body (and soul?) of Kallyr Starbrow in Boldhome after the Battle of the Queens, which should be an essential moment in any Sartarite campaign after the Dragonrise. So I want to provide one that people can use if they want, especially since it fit so perfectly into my house campaign. Also it gave my players, some of whom are getting itchy about my tendency to run published stuff with a narrative that has to be adhered to, more flexibility. As I only had a paragraph or two from the Sourcebook to work from, I was able to both give the players total free reign *and* follow the official timeline religiously! This summary, written by one of the players, of our latest session comes right after our doing the Duel of Dangerford and the Battle of the Queens, summary posted to the RQG public blog a few weeks ago, which seems to have gotten good reviews. Mostly self explanatory, but the campaign site can be explored for further explanations now that all the many needed spoiler warnings have been added. None needed for this! http://gloranthagame.pbworks.com/w/page/140572533/Fire Season 1626 Session 4?fbclid=IwAR1j7ao7IWtnGV8_As84xsNtQaJwVGA8bdeozmYg8i1ObHfSfljxK1OVeiE

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

BTW, as to the possible "evil in Pavis" Queen Leika referred to at the end, which an assassinated Lhankor Mhy scholar thought it was conceivable that Argrath was involved in, see the article on page 57 of Questlines II, published in 1998, from a Glorantha Con Down Under in Australia, written by Michael Raaterova.

Edited by Glorion

7 minutes ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

To balance both sides of the pond, next time will be "we shall fight (The Bat) with growing confidence and growing strength in the air". 🙂

And while we're at it, I may as well post the link to two members of our party's participation in Kallyr's quest, no spoilers. A handy prequel.

http://gloranthagame.pbworks.com/w/page/139626948/Sea%20Season%201626%20Kallyr's%20Quest

The official version is that Kallyr is dead at the end of the Battle of Queens and Resurrect spells all fail. Her corpse is brought to Boldhome where it lays in state. It does not decay, so her followers hope she might just get up, even though the seven days pass. But Kallyr does not return and even her supporters cannot contact her spirit. Eventually her body is burned, although it causes a near riot between tribes. None of the other tribal leaders are acceptable to the others, and none are strong enough to force the others to accept them, and so the Interregnum begins.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

The official version is that Kallyr is dead at the end of the Battle of Queens and Resurrect spells all fail. Her corpse is brought to Boldhome where it lays in state. It does not decay, so her followers hope she might just get up, even though the seven days pass. But Kallyr does not return and even her supporters cannot contact her spirit. Eventually her body is burned, although it causes a near riot between tribes. None of the other tribal leaders are acceptable to the others, and none are strong enough to force the others to accept them, and so the Interregnum begins.

Which is also the version I did, I just filled in a lot of details and got my players involved. Jeff, did you read it? I tried to base the session in our campaign on the official version in the Glorantha Sourcebook word for word, and I think I succeeded. Jeff, do you agree? BTW, I did include the bit about her body not decaying, which I attributed to the efforts of the healers. Didn't make the summary.

Edited by Glorion

In 'our' version (aka the Beer With Teeth series of linked games) Players were able to break the block Lunar Special Forces types had created stopping her resurrection and She's back baby! Of course this leaves Lekia in a interesting spot as she had a good go at burning the body.  However this is very much our games varying due to player interference. 😄 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Thaz said:

In 'our' version (aka the Beer With Teeth series of linked games) Players were able to break the block Lunar Special Forces types had created stopping her resurrection and She's back baby! Of course this leaves Lekia in a interesting spot as she had a good go at burning the body.  However this is very much our games varying due to player interference. 😄 

Thereby giving Argrath a Big Problem. Back in the '90s and into the Oughties there was a profileration of Kallyr Starbrow apocrypha on Glorantha blogs, arguing that the heroquest was a success not a failure, it was Kallyr not Argrath who lit Sartar's flame, and Argrath got the princedom by having her assassinated. Rejected as heresy by our Chaosium elders, and now gone underground. YGMV, you could go that way, but my suspicion is that is not where you are going.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Glorion said:

Thereby giving Argrath a Big Problem. Back in the '90s and into the Oughties there was a profileration of Kallyr Starbrow apocrypha on Glorantha blogs, arguing that the heroquest was a success not a failure, it was Kallyr not Argrath who lit Sartar's flame, and Argrath got the princedom by having her assassinated. Rejected as heresy by our Chaosium elders, and now gone underground. YGMV, you could go that way, but my suspicion is that is not where you are going.

I was around back then and still have all my old stuff from then and the signed copy of the old copy of King of Sartar. 🙂   ( I was even on the mailing list/digest) as was one of my co-gms. So yes...we're running with that

5 hours ago, Thaz said:

I was around back then and still have all my old stuff from then and the signed copy of the old copy of King of Sartar. 🙂   ( I was even on the mailing list/digest) as was one of my co-gms. So yes...we're running with that

The Kallyr Underground emerges! Luvvit. I go back a ways too. Was one of the original playtesters for RQ3, my name is on Elder Secrets, though I only just wrote one or two things, the Black Elf writeup mostly.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Glorion said:

The Kallyr Underground emerges! Luvvit. I go back a ways too. Was one of the original playtesters for RQ3, my name is on Elder Secrets, though I only just wrote one or two things, the Black Elf writeup mostly.

I didn't get anything into rq3 but I was one of the original HW backers and got my name in some of them. Which was sad as I hated the system (I'm super happy other people love it though). It's taken me till now to get my name on a RQ Chaosium title 😄 <awaits hard copy of PP with increasing excitement>  

17 minutes ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

Somewhat dumb question, inspired by watching the first couple episodes of "Warrior Nun".

Can the Starbrow be transferred to somebody else?  I assume no, since it's never mentioned afterwards.  Seems a bit of a shame 

She acquired it on a Heroquest, and it's part of her forehead, so even if it was possible, I'm sure the populace would have risen up in arms led by Mayor Thom if Leika had tried to cut it out before burning the body.