Where are the Deep Ones?

Now that my Call of Cthulhu group is reaching the end of the available 7th edition intro/beginners material, I am plotting out where to go next. I think I am going to run the historical Reign of Terror mini-campaign to take a break from the main story and also as a teaser for The Horror on the Orient Express mega-campaign if we ever get that far. After the Reign of Terror, I was considering running the new Children of Fear content as our first real campaign of interlinked scenarios.

However, I may do something else instead. I've been looking around at what is available for 7th edition, and have yet to see any scenarios featuring the Deep Ones who are so iconic in Lovecraft's literary universe. I would really like to include at least one scenario that faces off my Investigators against the Deep Ones, but I am not sure what is out there. Will I have to wait until a revised Innsmouth supplement becomes available for sale? :)

3 minutes ago, MandilarasM said:

You can also run "Flotsam & Jetsam" which is comprised of four loosely connected scenarios deeply related to the Deep Ones.

I'm currently running it for a group of three players and we're really enjoying ourselves!

You can get it for free as long as you join the "Cult of Chaos" group (https://www.chaosium.com/join-the-cult-of-chaos/).

I thought that Flotsam & Jetsam was about the Deep Ones, but I wasn't sure as I haven't run it yet. I am waiting for the print version of that mini-campaign to be released, @Mike M. :)

27 minutes ago, MandilarasM said:

The pdf files for the scenarios are very well written, have fantastic layout and top notch cartography and handouts.

I believe you can go on ahead and have a look. No need to wait for the print version. The sea calls you... :)

I like having a paper copy handy when I GM, but that will have to wait until "large gatherings" are unbanned in Colorado and our group can meet again in person.

Call of the Deep Ones....

For a time, there was a bunch of stuff with deep ones in them - in fact, I seem to recall forum posts along the lines of 'can we have some scenarios that don't use the deep ones?' ; )

Flotsam & Jetsam primarily concerns deep ones - this will be coming out in book forum in a year or so.

Escape from Innsmouth - is on the slate for updating (next year), and around then I'll probably take a look at gathering some 'Innsmouth/deep one' material together in a supporting book (looking at After the Fall and some other scenarios feat. fish-frog people).

• Like 4

On 7/6/2020 at 9:33 PM, Tranquillitas Ordinis said:

There is also one scenario in "An Inner Darkness" by Golden Goblin Press, if I recall correctly: An Inner Darkness (I do not have this supplement, so cannot say anything)

I can attest to this. "A Family Way" in that collection involves Deep Ones. It's a great scenario, a bit more on the action-y side if that's to your liking. It could work well as either a way to introduce Deep Ones into a campaign or reintroduce them after time away from Deep One-focused scenarios.

• Like 1

Ssssshhhhh!  The Deep Ones are currently managing a tony seaside resort/spa in Malibu where wealthy clients sun themselves, sip green smoothies of unknown composition, and undergo "rejuvenation therapy."  Don't bother trying to join.  You can't afford it.  Would-be investigators might be able to get on as extremely low-level service staff.  The turnover rate is even higher than normal.  Good luck finding former employees.  They all seem to have disappeared.  No, I don't know if the resort's presence has any influence on the general weirdness of the greater Los Angeles metro area.  The Mythos isn't responsible for everything, you know!

• Haha 2