Belintar and brythini

Jape_Vicho

This is just a silly idea I had this morning, as I have been reading a lot of things gloranthan, mainy the Prince of Sartar comick and some lore about the lands west of dragon pass, but, is it possible that Belintar was a Brythini/malkioni? I don't get the exact difference between the two yet, are all non-human or only the brythini?. But the thing is, Belintar, an odd and mysterious fellow of blue skin and inmense magic power that arrives from the sea... Also the thing about needing to possess new bodies after the current one decays looks like a way of solving the ever-feared death for a brythini that broke his caste's codes and this lost his immortality. 

I have looked on the internet but no forum or wiki seems to make a connection between the two, so either it is a very stupid idea or an innovative breakthrough, most probably the former, but I wanted to know what some people that really know about the lore thought about it as it can get a bit frustrating to just read from the authors and I don't personally know anyone this deep in the lore.

Cheers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

:50-power-truth::50-sub-light::50-power-truth:

Eyh man, that's not a dumb theory at all! I'm sure some people will find reasons to dismiss it, but I don't know any particular reason why it'd be impossible. 

The blue skin might only be a PoS comic thing, I'm not sure if Belintar's "true form" is ever revealed in other media, and blue skin is of course present in other groups as well (some Orlanthi with Helering ancestry, and the Veldang of Pamaltela, though they'd look like sub-saharan Africans to us, I believe, and probably other groups), but again, it's a deliberate mystery who he is.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

The blue skin might only be a PoS comic thing, I'm not sure if Belintar's "true form" is ever revealed in other media,

He appears similarly in the Guide although his skin there is said to be bronze.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jape_Vicho said:

This is just a silly idea I had this morning, as I have been reading a lot of things gloranthan, mainy the Prince of Sartar comick and some lore about the lands west of dragon pass, but, is it possible that Belintar was a Brythini/malkioni?

It's possible, given that New Malkonwal may not have been very far away before it vanished.

• Thanks 1

Belinthar being a god learner superweapon is a pretty common theory.

15 hours ago, Leingod said:

I mean, according to Homer, the color of the sea can be described as "bronze."

We probably shouldnt trust a blind men on truthfully describing what color something is.

2 hours ago, Borygon said:

Belinthar being a god learner superweapon is a pretty common theory.

We probably shouldnt trust a blind men on truthfully describing what color something is.

Superweapon in that it was a creation of the god-learners, not one of them?

:50-power-truth::50-sub-light::50-power-truth:

I think you have a plausible theory there. To clear up the Malkioni vs. Brithini question, the Brithini are immortals who adhere to strict caste laws, and don’t recognize gods as worthy of worship. 

“Malkioni” is more of an umbrella term for all Westerners in Glorantha, including the Brithini. They recognize the Invisible God over all others, and practice some kind of caste system. They are all technically human, but the Brithini are so weird and ancient that they seem inhuman to others. 

• Like 3

On 7/9/2020 at 10:49 PM, Jape_Vicho said:

This is just a silly idea I had this morning, as I have been reading a lot of things gloranthan, mainy the Prince of Sartar comick and some lore about the lands west of dragon pass, but, is it possible that Belintar was a Brythini/malkioni? I don't get the exact difference between the two yet, are all non-human or only the brythini?. But the thing is, Belintar, an odd and mysterious fellow of blue skin and inmense magic power that arrives from the sea... Also the thing about needing to possess new bodies after the current one decays looks like a way of solving the ever-feared death for a brythini that broke his caste's codes and this lost his immortality. 

I have looked on the internet but no forum or wiki seems to make a connection between the two, so either it is a very stupid idea or an innovative breakthrough, most probably the former, but I wanted to know what some people that really know about the lore thought about it as it can get a bit frustrating to just read from the authors and I don't personally know anyone this deep in the lore.

Cheers.

Good idea, something very similar has been mentionned in the past but not so exploited a Brithini or John Carter Warlord of Mars. It was in RuneQuest Con Compendium p72.

Audience : I always thought the Pharaoh was a refugee God Learner,  like Delecti was a refugee E. W.F.
Nick Brooke : Oh, yeah, he could be. I've heard Greg say that he was a heroquester, maybe from the past. A First or Second Age Heroquester who screwed up on the Heroplane, as many do, and got chucked out at the wrong place.
My pet theory is that he's John Carter, Warlord of Mars ...  Or, the alternative is that he's a Blue Vadeli. He comes from the sea. He's got this very nasty thing he does with  other people's bodies. That's a very Vadeli kind of way to behave.

A Heroquester will be more Canon but I really like the John Carter Warlord theory. But a lost Malkioni Sorcerer from the Outer Atomic Explorers could be a good choice...

• Like 2