No Aldryami pack

Squaredeal Sten

5 hours ago, nabda said:

the aldryami babeester/shargash? link is an interesting complexity.

"Bebester destroyed all of that was left of the world, so that it could begin anew"

Good catch. However, I believe the bit about Babeester Gor killing much of the world is an artifact of Esrolan mythology specifically. I do like any kind of neat connection though, and the theme of "killing to purify/killing out of grief over their dead parent" is present in both.

On another note, if Shargash had a primordial form of a slash-and-burn agricultural deity, then he might conveivably be involved in early Aldryami conception of Taker (not sure how that relates to Oakfed, if at all).

Man

I was going to start a Manirian thread about the Elves today... but now I'm going to read all these links before I do so.  This is what's good about a gaming community: people ask questions and offer answers that stumble into one another in interesting ways.

Thanks for the homework, and Sten, I hope your game goes well :)

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Orlanthatemyhamster said:

I've seen Shannon about on one of the RQ Facebook groups, what about talking to him direct? He can always say no. 

P.S. I would be very interested too.

You could always try contacting him on RPGnet, seeing as he's the administrator there.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 7/14/2020 at 12:41 AM, Runeblogger said:

Shannon Applecline's book Elfs: A Guide to the Aldryami is probably the book you are looking for. Although it was written during the Mongoose RuneQuest era, it is perfectly usable still.

https://index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml?mainid=8710

show-pic.phtml?picid=9764

Thanks, Runeblogger.  It took me a few months but this week I finally got a reasonably priced copy of that book.  It is good stuff on Aldryami motivations and behavior, though not canon.  Now if only Chaosium would find an author to expand on it with ready to play scenarios to bring its observations to life, as  Trollpack does for trolls.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

Thanks, Runeblogger.  It took me a few months but this week I finally got a reasonably priced copy of that book.  It is good stuff on Aldryami motivations and behavior, though not canon.  Now if only Chaosium would find an author to expand on it with ready to play scenarios to bring its observations to life, as  Trollpack does for trolls.

That would be great. Shannon Applecline might be tempted. 😛

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

On 12/20/2020 at 10:43 PM, Sir_Godspeed said:

I'm curious, is there something particularly noteworthy in terms of their motivations, behavior, culture, etc. that goes beyond/against what we see in the Guide? Not to breach copyright, of course, just curious.

I haven't paged through its 110 pages trying to compare every paragraph with the Guide to Glorantha.  And I don't have the GTG memorized.  Anyway  this predates GTG, copyright 2007 vs. 2016.     It's certainly got more material than the page and a fraction on Aldryami in Glorantha Sourcebook, and I haven't even verified that the mythology section matches the Sourcebook in every detail.  My memory for pre-Time Gloranthan gods is pretty leaky. 

Anyway-

A LOT of discussion and extrapolation of the psychology of a mobile, intelligent plant.  Elf  lifesense as a mental link to the forest which includes [but is not limited to]  other Aldryami of all sorts from runners to dryads.  The idea that over time lifesense allows a forest to reach consensus, and therefore elves don't usually make quick decisions.   And most elves will not be familiar with economic concepts like ownership, purchase, and money - but instead live in vegetable communism.

An elf communities section with four communities / villages.  Enough to build on, not runnable adventures.

A big section on Playing the Aldyami, but this doesn't necessarily match RQG stat generation, nor would I expect it to do so across editions.  Aldryami professions, including "good leaf" = 'ambassador' which may not mean what you expect it to mean at first reading.  A short list of plant poisons. A section on Actions & Emotions.   I am sure that this section is not canon and I would not bet that character generation done with it will match any eventual Chaosium RQG Aldryami book, which as far as I know is NOT on the list of future publications.  But it does have a touch of RQG's more extensive background generation compared with, say, RQ2.    If you want your characters to have roots then Aldryami will be your ideal, since these elves can root and photosynthesize in a starvation situation.  It would take a pretty dedicated roleplayer to do these Aldryami the way they are written up.

A section on Aldryami religion which starts with canon but extrapolates - or was done with access to more Gloranthan references than I am familiar with.  (Which would not be hard.)  

There is enough here to bear considerable re reading.

Edited by Squaredeal Sten
correcting grammar
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/21/2020 at 10:09 PM, Runeblogger said:

That would be great. Shannon Applecline might be tempted. 😛

And apparently he was!!! I just found this on Facebook today, posted by him:

A NEW ALDRYAMI MYTH
In the late '90s and early '00s I was working on what eventually became a pair of books about the Aldryami, one for Issaries (and HeroQuest) and one for Mongoose (and their variant of RuneQuest). As part of my preparation for that work, I wrote about 20 short Aldryami myths, most of them in service to theme issues of Tradetalk magazine.
I am now once more starting work on an Aldryami book, this to be the be-all and end-all, for my preferred Glorantha system, Chaosium's original RuneQuest (yay!). And as part of that I've decided to start writing new myths, which I'll post here every few weeks (and maybe someday collect and publish in the Jonstown Compendium, or something, but that's a topic and a tangle for another year).
So here's the first. If you enjoy it, you can pay me back with a writing prompt (in the comments). Tell me a person, place, thing, topic, title, or something similar that you'd like to read an Aldryami myth about. Like the topics for those Tradetalks of times past, they'll help me to approach the myths of the Aldryami from a wide variety of directions, and to consider a wide variety of things. (No promise I'll use all the prompts, but if I do I'll be sure to thank you in credits, and also send you a compilation of the myths I wrote 15-25 years ago. And I'm the most likely to use a prompt if it gives me the scope to write about something big or notable.)
Edited by Runeblogger
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/