Playing Lunar Witchcraft?

yamsur

I do think a lot of the examples here are straying a bit into illusion territory. While the moon does possess some powers akin to illusion, I feel there should be more focus on cycles, redness, and balance than weirdness, distortions, and illusions. I don't think psychedelic or kaleidoscopic effects should be the norm - the moon is predictable and smooth, mostly, not chaotic or fractured.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Richard S. said:

I don't think psychedelic or kaleidoscopic effects should be the norm - the moon is predictable and smooth, mostly, not chaotic or fractured.

But I do think you do have to think mind-bending.  Madness and Mindblast are Moon effects after all, not Illusion.  Lunes deliver an attack of Madness.  The Moon shows you, to some extent, what's "beneath" the surface, and that may well be fractal or kaleidoscopic or psychedelic.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

Quite likely, as long as they are repeating (it's Air that is so unpredictable).

That's a good point. Air must be utterly frustrating for Celestial seers to chart or predict, possibly adding something to the cultural Othering of the Orlanthi. 

2 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

Air must be utterly frustrating for Celestial seers to chart or predict, possibly adding something to the cultural Othering of the Orlanthi. 

Makes me think that part of Orlanth's "wounding" by the Red Goddess was to bind Orlanth's Ring into a "predictable" repetitive pattern in the Sky.  The Dragonrise event where Orlanth's Ring appears on the "wrong" day, and rises too "fast" may mark a return to a more volatile, unpredictable pattern.

But that's why the Moon magic may look weird or complex, but be correct and predictable once you understand it.

• Like 1