Aquelarra Support?

rsanford

20 hours ago, g33k said:

The Iberian Tribunal book for ArM3e?

That was my thought, though I have to imagine that differences in tone are what will make Ars Magica usable.  House Jerbiton, right?  Maybe a little Flambeau? (hee-hee)

!i!

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

18 minutes ago, Ian Absentia said:

That was my thought, though I have to imagine that differences in tone are what will make Ars Magica usable.  House Jerbiton, right?  Maybe a little Flambeau? (hee-hee)

Iberia gots LOTS of Flambeau, what with the Reconquista & all (and the origin-story of the Founder).  And the Jerbiton notion takes some pretty clear cues from the arts that flourished in Moorish Iberia, when the 3 cultures of the People of the Book blended under the patronage of the Caliphs there...

The thing that made Iberia tribunal-book stand out, IMHO, was that it was the apex (or nadir, depending on POV) of ArM's "a demon behind every evil plot... and every other random tree" phase.  The WW editors gave the author a remit of "MOAR D3MONZ!" and then added more and more beyond the ms.

Notoriously, one NPC had the skill(specialty) of "Craft Sex Toys (painful ones)."   Because transgressive, I guess.

C'es ne pas un .sig

55 minutes ago, g33k said:

The thing that made Iberia tribunal-book stand out, IMHO, was that it was the apex (or nadir, depending on POV) of ArM's "a demon behind every evil plot... and every other random tree" phase.  The WW editors gave the author a remit of "MOAR D3MONZ!" and then added more and more beyond the ms.

Le sigh.  That was my concern.  I don't have a copy of Aquellare yet, but my impression has been that it takes society and magic rather more soberly than the erstwhile White Wolf.

And, right, Spain got the House with the French name because...the fiery nature of the Spanish?

All right, maybe ArM wasn't a great suggestion.

!i!

Edited by Ian Absentia

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

• 3 weeks later...

Good evening:

I've been DM'ng this game since it came out in the 90s (left RPGs behind for long time, and came back some years ago)

This is, by far, my favorite game. Not because the quality of the system, but because the depth of the setting.

I don't think Nocturnal will have the resources (material and inmaterial) to go on publishing Aquelarre, nor that Chaosium will put more on their plate, but I have hopes of other ways of this game going on in the US and english world. The spanish publisher (Nosolorol) has recently launched a couple Kickstarters of their own translating their own children RPGs into spanish. They have done a good work tranlating english language RPGs the other way around so... may they resurface Aquelarre in english by themeselves in the future (BTW, the game is being launched at the end of this year, if COVID allows it, in Italian)

Leaving publishing companies aside, there are TONS of fan-made material out there. Google translator makes a better deal munching into english, but using it to translate that materials SPA->ENG you get a fairly understandable result that must just be polished a little before use.

i.e. http://www.sinergiaderol.com/aventuras/av-aquelarre.html <--- 107 adventures here

After G+ closed, I set a MeWe group where I have been posting about the spanish books, corrected character sheets, the issues with the translation and so

www.mewe.com/join/aquelarre_rpg_in_english

I don't want to undermine BRP forums, but wou will be welcome there

About rules use, you can ask any doubt that should arise, and I will do my best to help

About the game itself, one thought; dont take everything in it "by the book". I've been playing my own adventures for years, and most of them involve NO magic, no irrational creatures at all. Just the grit and dirt of living in medieval ages

knight-vs-snail-e1386515728531-650x313.jpg

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Alabak2002 said:

Leaving publishing companies aside, there are TONS of fan-made material out there. Google translator makes a better deal munching into english, but using it to translate that materials SPA->ENG you get a fairly understandable result that must just be polished a little before use.

i.e. http://www.sinergiaderol.com/aventuras/av-aquelarre.html <--- 107 adventures here

After G+ closed, I set a MeWe group where I have been posting about the spanish books, corrected character sheets, the issues with the translation and so

www.mewe.com/join/aquelarre_rpg_in_english

FIrst off thanks for the links both the fan made stuff and the MeWe site! I tried downloading some of the fan made stuff but WIndows ask me what app to use to open them? THey are adventures correct? What do you use?

* OKay I did some searching and the files presented are in RAR format which is not recognized by WIn 10. However you can download a RAR tool app for WIn 10. I did so and it appears to be working fine. Now I have to figure out the best way to translate the documents. Any thoughts?

These are SO USEFUL for us English speaking Aquelarre GMs not yet ready to write their own adventures!

Edited by rsanford
  • Like 1

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

That is a compilation of adventures that fans wrote over the past 25 years. There you'll find a few from me 😉

Inside the compressed files you can expect to find an assorted selection of file types... Word, PDF, RTF ...

So...patience is the first tool you'll need :)

As I said, I had some success putting files through Google translate (the option that allow you to feed it a whole file) https://translate.google.com/?tr=f&hl=en#view=home&op=docs&sl=auto&tl=en

Max file size is 10 MB

Then you'll have to tweak the results, because, you know, synonims, spanish idioms or even errata in the original that will mess with the meaning. But, since you're not reading a medicine treatise, and gamers all around the world share a way of thinking, you'd be able to infer the meaning. In case of doubt, ask for help. We are usually available in the MeWe chat, or just PM me.

I've been thinking of translating some with the help of other users (1) and compile them somewhere... i'll just drop the gauntlet, if someone is interested

///This reminds me of the Old days when I started peeking into the RPG world. If your mom tells you RPGs are useless, tell them they're worth years of foreign language classes. I learnt the different meanings of "bolt" shuggling through a Warhammer RPG xerox copies (that I ended ditching for the then-just-released Aquelarre)

1 ///There is a user on MeWe that ran Aquelarre sessions on GenCon online and will run some in the future. I'll try to lure him into that but it's better if people feels the work is worth the time

• Like 1

On 8/9/2020 at 11:13 AM, Alabak2002 said:

Good evening:

I've been DM'ng this game since it came out in the 90s (left RPGs behind for long time, and came back some years ago)

This is, by far, my favorite game. Not because the quality of the system, but because the depth of the setting.

I don't think Nocturnal will have the resources (material and inmaterial) to go on publishing Aquelarre, nor that Chaosium will put more on their plate, but I have hopes of other ways of this game going on in the US and english world. The spanish publisher (Nosolorol) has recently launched a couple Kickstarters of their own translating their own children RPGs into spanish. They have done a good work tranlating english language RPGs the other way around so... may they resurface Aquelarre in english by themeselves in the future (BTW, the game is being launched at the end of this year, if COVID allows it, in Italian)

Alabak2002 the amount of material you linked to is truly amazing and going to take a long time to go through. Yesterday I translated all the adventure titles and downloaded each adventure (one by one). Next step is to translate each one and convert it to zip. BUT... Are there any particular adventures or campaigns that stand out to you that we should translate first?

It's hard to tell, since I have not read most of them. BUT

You have the author name behind the title. Go for anything by Aquelarre authors Ricard Ibañez or Antonio Polo 

Una noche en la Abadía is a fine adventure and looks gorgeous in the spanish version (I adapted the oroginal PDF and there's a POD version available through Lulu.com)

La Niebla is a three part campaign I've heard good things about

There are two of my authorship there (look for "Luis Gil") The first, El Monte de las Ánimas is a short and lightweight adventure I wrote in the 90s that can be used to introduce players to the game and mechanics. It's better if you read the short story it's based on (a XIX century spanish classic widely available in english)

I'm very proud of how the second (El Aquelarre del Tiempo) looks. Not that much on how it played on the table at the end, but everybody enjoyed it. I should someday make some changes to it based on the couple playtesting sessions IK ran myself. Like editing out the recommended use of pre-generated PCs. But, hey... have a look at it and make it yours. I'd love to see it turned upside down if it gets translated into english (I keep all source files). On a side note, it's a mash-up of Aquelarre and a Spanish TV series that told about a government time-travel agency, the Ministry of Time, that protects psnish History from being tampered. That may ring a bell, since the (not that original) idea was the "inspiration" of NBC "Timeless". There was a settlement out of court :P MdT is available through Netflix. The adventure is also, as a great looking Lulu´s POD

More resources:

This is the blog the authors are trying to keep alive http://rerumdemoni.blogspot.com/ You'll find adventures and background articles there

Spanish facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/320854464591436 We post random nonsense there and comment any news about the game

Edited by Alabak2002
  • Like 1

I've played Call of Cthulhu on and off through the years, across several editions. It took Aquelarre getting mentioned on Chaosium's site to get me to register an account. The initial forum post about Aquelarre made mention of it having it's own sub-forum here, which is literally the moment I registered. That has yet to materialize but I hope it does. I would really love to see this get supported somewhere. It is such an awesome game! Highly recommended, especially if you're already a fan of BRP-ish systems.

2 hours ago, digitalsedition said:

The initial forum post about Aquelarre made mention of it having it's own sub-forum here, which is literally the moment I registered. That has yet to materialize but I hope it does.

I hope BRP. org admins pick this and set a sub forum for Aquelarre soon. You should be already lobbying for it, though ;D

9 minutes ago, Alabak2002 said:

I hope BRP. org admins pick this and set a sub forum for Aquelarre soon. You should be already lobbying for it, though ;D

It's possible this very thread is "lobbying for it."  I mean... a single thread, or two, probably doesn't justify a whole new subforum (or does it?).

But there's clearly interest...

Really, though, Chaosium is just doing some distribution &c; it isn't "their" game:  it's Nocturnal's (at least in English).  I don't know what Nocturnal is doing, or is capable of doing, in this regard...

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

It's my understanding that Nosolorol is the current publisher of Aquelarre in Spain. Nocturnal Media is responsible for the kickstarter that got Aquelarre translated to English. Nocturnal Media hasn't had an update on their website since 2018, which made me a little curious. So I did a little digging. It would appear that Stewart Wieck (the Owner of Nocturnal Media) passed away suddenly after a light fencing practice in 2017. Stewart was the leader of 18 active kickstarters, Aquelarre being one of them. Because of that unexpected tragedy it took a campaign that started in 2015 till Feb 2020 to actually see books ship to people.

So I looked into Nosolorol a bit and they have a couple active kickstarters themselves. For game translations. A look on their website and you can see a lot of familiar titles translated to Spanish. There are quite a few books for Aquelarre, maybe they will themselves start a campaign to have more translations made. If there is enough interest. 

Edited by digitalsedition
  • Like 2

probably doesn't justify a whole new subforum (or does it?)

A sub-subforum would be fine for me. Just one place where all future (hopfully) threads lay together

About Chaosium part on this; they've done more than I expected, helping Nocturnal to take this to good end and they have no obligation to take it further. I just hope the sales are good, and they see this as good investment.

Then, If they don't consider it worth they time and money, and Nocturnal is unable to continue marketing the game, a last resource exists. The license reverting to spanish publisher

There are quite a few books for Aquelarre, maybe they will themselves start a campaign to have more translations made

Nosolorol is more than capable to put Aquelarre in english by themeselves. They have done good translations of great RPGs into spanish and can do same thing the other way around. I'm thinking of the good job they did with Pendragon (BTW the current edition of which in US uses the spanish illustrations). Perhaps a future partnership should be attempted, with Chaosium/Nocturnal taking care of marketing out of spanish borders

Chaosium y'all listening? Your fans would love you EVEN MORE if you translated some of the heavy hitter adventures and campaigns for Aquelarre!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Gattamelata said:

Same goes for me. Registered today for two threads on Aquelarre in english. 

Y’all are going to have to excuse us Non-Spanish speakers as we are still new to Aquelarra. I fully anticipate it becoming one of the more popular game discussions on the site.

• Like 1