Three New Stars

Bohemond

So we're playing Eleven Lights (spoiler alert) and my PCs have gotten through the Three New Stars quest. And I've got a few questions. Once the PCs create the cult of the 3NS, it says (p.143) they can work magic through the 3NS. Does that only apply to Orlanth's magic? Or can they work magic that would be unique to the 3NS as individual deities. For example, my PCs brought back Oonil the Skilful. Oonil has the Harmony rune, which Oonil presumably uses to work trade and craft magics. Does this mean that my Ernaldan and my Chalanan can now use their Harmony runes to work trade and craft magic? Or does Oonil only allow the PCs to work Orlanth's Mastery magic, for example, through their Harmony runes? Or does this only allow the one Orlanthi PC to work his magic? 

Similarly, they brought back Tanian, who presumably has the Water rune, since he's a god of fiery rain. Can my Helerite now use his Water rune to conjure a rain of fire? 

Another complication--my Chalanan cannot kill people. But the 3NS ritual requires animal sacrifice, and of course the battle of Dangerford requires the new cult to use its magic to kill. Any thoughts about how to handle that? Does the fact that the Chalanan PC is bound to gods with violent magic give him an odd exception to CA's ban on violence? Does it change the magic they get at the battle, like giving them a healing rain of fire? I'm sure that the PCs will have thoughts about this, but I'm curious what everyone thinks

2 minutes ago, Bohemond said:

Once the PCs create the cult of the 3NS, it says (p.143) they can work magic through the 3NS. Does that only apply to Orlanth's magic? Or can they work magic that would be unique to the 3NS as individual deities.

p.104 notes: "Those who participate in the Three New Stars Rites can work magic with Orlanth’s rune affinities. The scope of the magic is limited and defined by the stars the PCs returned to the sky from the Other Side — but this is better than nothing."

So, it's something in between.  Orlanth's rune affinities are Air, Movement, and Mastery, so they should be able to use those again (though I would restrict ability still to use Orlanth's Feats since he is not fully free).  I would allow them to work magic that is based upon the Rune(s) that are unique to the 3 New Stars.  As it says on p.143 "The participants feel a connection, not to Orlanth, but to the Three New Stars, and realize they can do magic through them."

5 minutes ago, Bohemond said:

Another complication--my Chalanan cannot kill people. But the 3NS ritual requires animal sacrifice, and of course the battle of Dangerford requires the new cult to use its magic to kill. Any thoughts about how to handle that? Does the fact that the Chalanan PC is bound to gods with violent magic give him an odd exception to CA's ban on violence?

Well, the Chalanan still has magic since Chalana Arroy is not gone.  Odds are the Chalanan will continue worshipping as per usual.  They might refrain from worshipping or sacrificing to the 3NS.  Or perhaps they offer worship to Oonil only since he has the Harmony Rune, but refuse to make animal sacrifice (perhaps they craft votive statues to Oonil instead?).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bohemond said:

Another complication--my Chalanan cannot kill people. But the 3NS ritual requires animal sacrifice, and of course the battle of Dangerford requires the new cult to use its magic to kill. Any thoughts about how to handle that?

A Chalana Arroy cultist could try to make a different kind of sacrifice, perhaps burning a votive offering, or giving money. If that does not work, then perhaps a HeroQuest is in order to make it work, where Chalana Arroy substitutes another kind of sacrifice for an animal sacrifice.

• Like 3

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

8 hours ago, Bohemond said:

Another complication--my Chalanan cannot kill people. But the 3NS ritual requires animal sacrifice, and of course the battle of Dangerford requires the new cult to use its magic to kill. Any thoughts about how to handle that? Does the fact that the Chalanan PC is bound to gods with violent magic give him an odd exception to CA's ban on violence? Does it change the magic they get at the battle, like giving them a healing rain of fire? I'm sure that the PCs will have thoughts about this, but I'm curious what everyone thinks

depending on your chalana goddess, your chalana cult and how the pc manages that:

why did the CA cultist join a new cult ? Did she ask her priest (or divination) if she can ? What ?! the new cult ask for death ? ==> Spirit of reprisals from chalana (I don't know what kind of reprisal it would be) , banished from the cult or at least a punishment, or a deal (after heroquest) like @soltakss  says.

That is not because you "save" a god that you have to join it. That's your choice (or your fate, and fate is not always good).

Should an already married knight "claim" he wants too the princess he just saved ?

In my glorantha Chalana is a good goddess but their is no choice with death. You cannot "trick" her.

And there is no choice to avoid a death sacrifice for a bloody god except eurmali way (Babester gor and the blood / beer story) or heroquest (to negociate something )

but if the heroquest is a success, you are now able to explain that "thing" is a death sacrifice for your new god. Should chalana understand it as a no-death sacrifice ?

After all are you sure the change is that "the sacrifice does no more require a life" ? It could be seen as "the thing you sacrifice is now a living thing"   huu..