Berlin '61 - Has anyone seen this?

The Tweaker

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both. The cults will appear but not much more on the actual mythos.

Call of Czarthulu? :D

It would be a wierd tact if it turned out that there was some good reasons behind all of Stalin's purgres and all. May Cold War tensions could in fact, be a cover for mythos activity.

Maybe the Cuban Missile Crisis wasn't really about missiles in Cuba at all, but a good cover stroy to hunt for something off the waters of Cuba....

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

• 2 weeks later...

In honor of our first year as a publisher of OGL material and the Holiday Season PK Games is having a sale. The following titles are reduced to these new prices:

Berlin ’61 Full Color Rule Book Print: $29.42 Download: $0.94

Berlin ’61 B&W Rule Book Print: $8.99 Download: $0.89

Berlin ’61: Player’s Manual Print: $6.11 Download: $0.44

Berlin ’61: A Merry Berlin Christmas (Adventure 1) Print: $5.43 Download: $0.40

Forgotten Arcana Book 1 Print: $6.79 Download: $0.44

Forgotten Arcana Book 2 Print: $6.70Download: $0.39

These prices won’t last forever, get yours today. Tell a friend.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the review. It was too kind. I also am not pleased with the magic system and am looking to revise it and make it either more like CoC or something unique entirely.

As for the Kotothian Pantheon stuff, yes it is a bad rip off of Cthulhu style stuff and I was trying to do something similar, yet different. Guess it didnt work so much. I was thinking the big evil truth of alien intelligent entities was necessary to fuel the cults and evil, but I suppose typical demon/devil judeo-christian mythos stuff would work as well, and would allow me to do a less is more approach.

I would love to do B61 for CoC or BRP but the licensing issue is at hand.

But again, I am not getting paid to do this stuff and studied film in college, not writing. So I am still overwhelmed by this all and am pleased to have gotten such a good review.

On a side note, Im not responsible for the binding, as I am sure we are all aware, but none of my copies have fallen apart. The hard back is the best so far, but needs to have the cover resized.

Thanks again.

CS

Thanks for the review. It was too kind. I also am not pleased with the magic system and am looking to revise it and make it either more like CoC or something unique entirely.

As for the Kotothian Pantheon stuff, yes it is a bad rip off of Cthulhu style stuff and I was trying to do something similar, yet different. Guess it didnt work so much. I was thinking the big evil truth of alien intelligent entities was necessary to fuel the cults and evil, but I suppose typical demon/devil judeo-christian mythos stuff would work as well, and would allow me to do a less is more approach.

I would love to see some occult stuff based on real world mythology with the setting. There are some books out there about nazi occultism, which could fit. As you say the demon/devil judeo-christian mythos would probably work very well, and give it a more realistic "feel", instead of foreign gods from other dimensions. It would also make the setting more unique.

I would love to do B61 for CoC or BRP but the licensing issue is at hand.

Berlin '61 for BRP would be great. The fine thing about GORE is that we can easily use it with BRP too though (even though the book states that GORE is needed).

But again, I am not getting paid to do this stuff and studied film in college, not writing. So I am still overwhelmed by this all and am pleased to have gotten such a good review.

You're welcome. Some parts there were really brilliant! :)

On a side note, Im not responsible for the binding, as I am sure we are all aware, but none of my copies have fallen apart. The hard back is the best so far, but needs to have the cover resized.

I'll add an extra note there in the review about the Lulu print. I guessed the hardcover would be the best. How is the colour paperback one though?

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Just so everyone knows, Triff is not on the PK Games staff. But again, thanks for the compliments.

The character sheet he designed is far superior to the one I had. As you can see by his reviews on the layout of both books and the sheet, I am not a graphic designer.

I do my best.

Cheers.

The last Berlin '61 review for now:

A Merry Berlin Christmas (Adventure)

What are the plans for future supplements Barnhart? I saw Encounters Handbook, Red City & Adventure One: The Wall, mentioned in the Player's Manual. Can you tell us anything more about that those? :)

SGL.

What are the plans for future supplements Barnhart? I saw Encounters Handbook, Red City & Adventure One: The Wall, mentioned in the Player's Manual. Can you tell us anything more about that those? :)

SGL.

Well here is the basics of what is planned. The Encounters Manual has six or so 2-4 page setting/adventure locales with plot ideas, sample NPCs and a general summary of what sort of adventures can take place there. The area include a Orthodox Cemetary, a restaurant and its cannibalistic chefs, a scientific research facility, and other locations in Berlin.

The second part of that book will be similar to a monster manual of sorts, with stats for some animals, creatures and typical NPCs for everyday encounters.

Finally the Encounters Manual has a short scenario called "Midnight Train to Moscow" which is a horror/mystery aboard a express train from Berlin to Moscow.

Which is to lead right into the city guide of Moscow '61 currently called Red City. Red City will cover the basics of the city in 1961 in a way similar to how the core rules for Berlin '61 covered Berlin. It will also have some sample scenarios similar to the style presented in the Encounters Manual.

The Wall is a special adventure that takes place on the weekend of August 13th 1961. The weekend the Berlin Wall is erected over night.

All three of these books are written by me and several co-authors. The first two by my friend Bartosz and several of the other original contributors of B61, while the Wall is written by newcomer Neale Sourna and looks promising.

In addition some basic notes have been constructed for an espionage sourcebook for B61.

Other then that, PK Games is also working on a GORE centric monster book called B-Movie Monsters or Matinee Monsters as we havent really decided on the name yet. (written mainly by Kevin Scrivner)

The release schedule is set to begin probably sometime in February for the first book and then each additional book either every month after or every two months.

Depends on real life.

Sounds good! The sound of the content for the encounters handbook!

Adventure One: The Wall, the numbering, can we interpret the way that The Wall is the first scenario of a campaign? :P

SGL.

If by campaign you mean the beginning of the unravelling of the true conspiracy behind Berlin '61, then you might say that.

If by campaign you mean the beginning of the unravelling of the true conspiracy behind Berlin '61, then you might say that.

But Adventure Two: ... , will not be a continuation picking up where The Wall stops, if I understand you correct?

SGL.

Hasnt been decided yet if 2 will be direct sequal to 1. But if that is what the general consensus is looking for, well I will have to respect my target audience.

The overall arc of the way books will come out is that each book will have a hint at what is to come and eventualy intertwine to unravel the secret behind B61.

But im open for suggestions and submissions

Hasnt been decided yet if 2 will be direct sequal to 1. But if that is what the general consensus is looking for, well I will have to respect my target audience.

The overall arc of the way books will come out is that each book will have a hint at what is to come and eventualy intertwine to unravel the secret behind B61.

I don't know what the general consesus is, but my personal preferense is to be able to go from one adventure to the next with the same group of characters. That doesn't mean there have to be a direct link (though a hint is nice), but that the type of adventure is not so different from the previous that you need a new group of characters.

SGL.

Then you should lke the Encounters Manual and Red City. As one of the adventures in the Encounters Manual will lead directly into an adventure in Red City.

Both introduce new major players in the B61 secret history.

If I write it propely however, I could see a set of 3 or 4 adventures strung together over the events of late 1961.

It was always intended that the second edition of B61 (which is still probably a year or more, most likely more, away) would be updated and named B62. As I would like to have the story advance.

Once I revise the magic system and get out the planned books (B61:EM, B61:RC, B61:TW) I will probably just focus on 20-30 page adventures.

Truth be told, I wrote B61: A Very Merry Berlin Christmas over the course of 4 days, hired the artist and had the art by day 6 (Richard is a great artist at a good rate and with great speed and seems to understand my wants).

I am always looking for contributors who want to put their ideas in B61 and see their names on the books.

Im from the old school of gaming where I believe a good game also needs a good line of support with several sourcebooks. Not like Rifts or D20, but like ICEs MERP or the way Palladium did the original After the Bomb or XXVc.