Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Nozbat

The Hook

Recommended Posts

Annoying.
I did it for an online convention and, I think I could have pretty much ignored it... but the other fellows seemed to feel a need to ham up their 'performance' and it became one of the weirder RPG experiences I've had.

EDIT: I misunderstood the question. I thought it was about being recorded for broadcast online... doing a 'live-play'.
THAT is the experience I found irritating.
As for just playing online, with video. Two of the groups I'm in do it, and it's OK... doesn't bother me. Our local F2F group moved online because of the virus and have NOT been using video, and that has been just as good IMO... though maybe because I've already played with those people in person for years so I can picture them easily in my mind anyway.

Edited by Simlasa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s a bit irritating, but mostly not. My group has been together a long time and we trust each other. We are very lucky. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm okay with it by now. Ran a short rules-lite campaign with Tiny Dungeons, a short campaign with Troika!, and at the moment, I'm playing RQ: Glorantha and the old game I began with, "Das schwarze Auge", with my old group from school days online. We've been using Zoom, Google Hangouts and Skype; for some reason, Zoom seems to have the most consistently good video and audio quality.

However, I'm doing most of this playing with people that I'm very familiar with at the rpg table; I also took part in a two-short with mostly unfamiliar people, and that didn't really work that well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jakob said:

I'm okay with it by now. Ran a short rules-lite campaign with Tiny Dungeons, a short campaign with Troika!, and at the moment, I'm playing RQ: Glorantha and the old game I began with, "Das schwarze Auge", with my old group from school days online. We've been using Zoom, Google Hangouts and Skype; for some reason, Zoom seems to have the most consistently good video and audio quality.

However, I'm doing most of this playing with people that I'm very familiar with at the rpg table; I also took part in a two-short with mostly unfamiliar people, and that didn't really work that well.

I've been using Zoom for sessions with ironically old school friends too. Maybe thats the difference, having people you know over a long time. I haven't played RPGs for a long time and had been relying on the occasional Boardgame to satisfy my gaming lust. In lockdown (although my work has been operating as usual throughout as I work in frontline services)  we've played CoC and RQ which has worked pretty well. I guess it also depends on the technology available but I'd use screen sharing often and use maps which I can draw and add to in real time. It also means I generally would be using my laptop and iPad simultaneously. PM and break-out rooms have been good for individual moments during the session. I've also used email to request written statements for Police interviews.  Really its all about adapting to our strange new world and looking for solutions to issues that arise. Gaining feedback from participants about what works and what was an abject failure is useful.The main issue for me is getting people to talk one at a time and ensuring that everyone is brought into the game.

Next time I'm in Berlin, I must get round to visiting your shop. My wife is German and I'm in Berlin fairly often until recently.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Raleel said:

It’s a bit irritating, but mostly not. My group has been together a long time and we trust each other. We are very lucky. 

Its very different but in some ways a bit liberating. I've found that using video technology allows more frequency for playing short 2 hour sessions. It also brings into stark contrast skills of the GM and the ability to ensure everyone is engaged. Even with existing familiar groups there are some personalities who dominate and often the role I find that I most take is that of facilitator. I have started each session with a quick round of 'where you think you are now' which allows for some analysis of the situation and planning about what they are going to do. Insisting players take notes during sessions and use Action Plans at the end of sessions has also been useful. It provides a link between sessions. Making sure I get feedback , particularly on things that didn't go well has ironed out problems before people get disgruntled.

My main issue has been acclimatising to 20 years of RPG development that I've missed !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Simlasa said:

Annoying.
I did it for an online convention and, I think I could have pretty much ignored it... but the other fellows seemed to feel a need to ham up their 'performance' and it became one of the weirder RPG experiences I've had.

There's nothing like a good ham.. even if I am a vegetarian 

My experience that 'haming" is the default position of a lot of players at conventions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nozbat said:

 

My main issue has been acclimatising to 20 years of RPG development that I've missed !

The good thing about that is that you can, but you don't have to! I've played a lot of different games in the last few months, some old (like "Das schwarze Auge") and some new (like Tiny Dungeons"), some new iterations of old systems (like Mythras), and when the old rules and settings serve well, it's often a good idea just to use them just the way you used them 20 years ago. (Still, I'm kind of a system junkie and alwas want to try out the new stuff.)

Apart from that, would be great to see you at the Otherland in Berlin - drop a line when you're planning a visit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...