Guide to Glorantha or Glorantha Source Book

Gman

8 hours ago, Gman said:

Hello all, I just ordered the Guide to Glorantha and have been slowly reading it.  Does the Guide contain everything in the Source Book or do I need to get that too?

The Guide to Glorantha is the Encyclopedia of Glorantha you'll have all Glorantha infos on it but it is a massive one : 5.7 Kg (just measure it with the case). Good for a GM at home to prepare a scenario or do some bodybuilding, not for a scenario at your friend house !!!

The sourcebook is light in comparison : 900g with two hundreds pages about a lot of thing and a good theogony with a lot of Illustrations : Ideal for quick look and a play session. You may  even let it in the hands of players using the bookmarklet to tell them where to look. Unlike the RQG books, there is no rules so no real-game-spoilers.

The Glorantha Sourcebook collects most of the articles that made the authors of the Guide fall in love with Glorantha in the first place. There is very little overlap (possibly some Elder Races or Theogony text, I haven't analysed it in detail). There is lots of stuff that is available nowhere else, not least the maps (of mythic ages and Lunar history) and illustrations (including divine genealogies and some utterly awesome full-page pics). I refer to the Sourcebook all the time when I'm prepping my RQG sessions, and share stuff from it when I'm running games. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MJ Sadique said:

The Guide to Glorantha is ... all Glorantha infos on it ...

Not quite.

It's a very high-level view of Glorantha.  There's a LOT of fine detail missing from the Guide.

It has at least something on just about everything -- and plenty that's available nowhere else -- but it doesn't have everything about anything at all.

So to speak.

Edited by g33k
  • Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

If you want one, you’ll want the other. The overlap is small (mostly just the Elder races stuff), and the overview of mythology in the Sourcebook is a perfect companion piece for the Guide. The Sourcebook also has a lot of deep background that is very valuable for Sartar or Lunar games. 

Edited by davecake

23 hours ago, davecake said:

If you want one, you’ll want the other.

Absolutely agree.

i was surprised by how much in the Sourcebook was not in the Guide, between 20% and 30% by a very rough calculation.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

5 hours ago, soltakss said:

i was surprised by how much in the Sourcebook was not in the Guide, between 20% and 30% by a very rough calculation.

Do you mean a 20-30% overlap of duplicated material?  Or that only 20-30% of the Sourcebook was not also in the Guide?

!i!

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

I think one of the important points regarding the Glorantha Sourcebook and the Guide to Glorantha is the respective year of reference.

Guide to Glorantha: 1621 ST

Glorantha Sourcebook: 1625 ST

This means, that the Glorantha Sourcebook contains information about four years, which never made it into the Guide to Glorantha. But even information about years covered by both books is much more detailed in the Sourcebook.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2020 at 2:22 PM, Ian Absentia said:

Do you mean a 20-30% overlap of duplicated material?  Or that only 20-30% of the Sourcebook was not also in the Guide?

When I did a quick scan, it looked as though that was new material, not in the Guide or previous supplements. I might be wrong, though, I often am.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Is this sort of thing helpful? A rough comparison between the two on page count

Rough comparison of Glorantha Sourcebook contents & Guide to Glorantha contents : Comparison,

If anyone would like to correct any of this please do.

Edited by David Scott
tidied up the three links
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

7 hours ago, David Scott said:

Is this sort of thing helpful? A rough comparison between the two on page count

Rough comparison of Glorantha Sourcebook contents & Guide to Glorantha contents : Comparison,

If anyone would like to correct any of this please do.

That "Conparison" doc (3rd link) is really useful for responding to this question.  It was much more than I had expected from the brief outline offered above...

Thank you!

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig