Fencing skill musings

Susimetsa

I'm very new to the system (having played one of the first editions of Runequest back in late 80's) and unfamiliar with the balances etc. Still, I'm looking to instill some historical colour to rapier fencing. Looking at some of the old masters, I made some arbitrary choices on what their possible strengths might be, but I wind up in trouble when trying to turn them into RPG terms. This means that my ideas of possible talents and bonuses etc. are probably not even close to what they should be.

So, basically, I'd like to hear some input and ideas pertaining to my initial draft:

Fencing styles / schools

Fencing (school) - An advanced skill learned separately for each school. To be rolled at the beginning of an encounter. Possibly repeated if the fencer loses focus for some reason (interruption or serious wound). On successful roll, the fencer gains the advantage(s) listed underneath the school of fencing for that encounter. Only one fencing school can be used at a time.

Di Grassi’s school

“Therefore leauing aside this maner of defence, let each man vse to oppose, one only weapon against the enimies sworde, keeping the other free, that he may be able to strike at his pleasure.”

- Two-weapon mastery - no -20% for offhand use.

Fabris’ school

“No defensive or offensive action can be effected outside of the four guards [...] I have used pictures to illustrate the sheer variety of postures, of positions of the sword, feet and body that can be derived from them.”

- Scientific approach - Lines of attack - 

Thibault’s school

“once we have contact between the blades, we are able to make our approaches against the adversary with assurance, since we are certain always to know in time the designs he intends to use against us, which no are sooner begun than we have already prepared ourselves against them.”

- Destreza approach - Using the circle - part of dance skill bonus to defense?

Fiore’s school

“Here are three opponents who all want to kill this Master. The first aims to kill him with a thrust. The second intends a cut. The third will throw his sword at the master like a spear. If the Master can perform a mighty deed and avoid being killed, then God will have indeed blessed him with great skill.”

- Multiple opponents - 

Ghisliero’s school

His guards are positions from which to attack or defend and his parries are counter-attacks.

- Soldier’s approach - After successful parry, free attack at -40%

Capo Ferro’s school

“Thence it is also seen that defense is the principal action in fencing, and that no one must proceed to offense, if not by way of legitimate defense.”

- Defensive approach - Additional parry at -30%

Köppe’s school

Doctor of medicine and philosophy, a fencing master in Magdeburg

- Anatomical approach - Surgical precision - part of medicine skill bonus to attacks?

Swetnam’s school

"For he that is well instructed in the perfect skill with his weapon although but small of stature, and weake of strength, may with a little moving of his foote or suddain turning of his hand, or with the quick agility of his body kil and bring to the ground the tall and strongest man that is."

- Dexterity and movement - Attacks with rapiers and daggers +DEX

Edited by Susimetsa

It may help you to take a look at  Mythras Imperative (free pdf) or the full Mythras rules.  Formerly Rune Quest 6th Ed., Mythas adds Effects that are invoked based upon relative success levels.  They include subtle tactics, enhanced aim, damage, etc., based upon style if weapon.  I am not trying to steer you away from Renaissance D100, just suggesting a source for ideas that may help you to finesse the feel of fencing.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ThornPlutonius said:

It may help you to take a look at  Mythras Imperative (free pdf) or the full Mythras rules.  Formerly Rune Quest 6th Ed., Mythas adds Effects that are invoked based upon relative success levels.  They include subtle tactics, enhanced aim, damage, etc., based upon style if weapon.  I am not trying to steer you away from Renaissance D100, just suggesting a source for ideas that may help you to finesse the feel of fencing.

Thank you! Looks a bit more complex than what I am willing to throw at first-time players, but it certainly gives me a better idea of how to build up a decent fencing school system.

• 2 months later...

(edit:  sorry for the Necro!)

On 7/27/2020 at 10:24 PM, Susimetsa said:

Thank you! Looks a bit more complex than what I am willing to throw at first-time players, but it certainly gives me a better idea of how to build up a decent fencing school system.

Given that you mention "first-time players," I would honestly skip this element (in any form) for introducing them to RPG's.

Let your newbies get their feet under them with the basics, merely mentioning to them that -- when and if they're interested in more details -- you have some "fencing styles" rules available, if they want to give those a try.

(edit:  also -- as it's a necro from months ago -- have you actually begun play with your first-time players?  How'd it go?  And/or how's your "Fencing Schools" project going?)

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

Thank you for the necro! :D

You are right - in the end I decided to keep it very simple. I did want to include them in some form, however, as one of the players is a period and swashbuckling fan and kind of expected something to do with different schools of fencing. But since they were first-timers, I left out anything too complex and used the idea mostly as "flavour".

We've only had one short session thus far (real life issues keep taking priority) but it went quite well.

After reading the above-mentioned sources and taking hints from wherever I could, here's the current state of the schools (which still needs proper long-term playtesting and balancing):

Di Grassi’s school

“Therefore leauing aside this maner of defence, let each man vse to oppose, one only weapon against the enimies sworde, keeping the other free, that he may be able to strike at his pleasure.”

Two-weapon master - Ignores off-hand penalty of -20%

Fabris’ school

“No defensive or offensive action can be effected outside of the four guards [...] I have used pictures to illustrate the sheer variety of postures, of positions of the sword, feet and body that can be derived from them.”

Scientific approach - shift random hit location to an adjoining hit location

Thibault’s school

“[O]nce we have contact between the blades, we are able to make our approaches against the adversary with assurance, since we are certain always to know in time the designs he intends to use against us, which no are sooner begun than we have already prepared ourselves against them.”

Destreza approach - an additional dodge based on dance skill -20%

Fiore’s school

“Here are three opponents who all want to kill this Master. The first aims to kill him with a thrust. The second intends a cut. The third will throw his sword at the master like a spear. If the Master can perform a mighty deed and avoid being killed, then God will have indeed blessed him with great skill.”

Multiple opponents - free extra parry at -20%

Ghisliero’s school

His guards are positions from which to attack or defend and his parries are counter-attacks.

Soldier’s approach - After successful parry, free counter-attack (at -25%)

Capo Ferro’s school

“Thence it is also seen that defense is the principal action in fencing, and that no one must proceed to offense, if not by way of legitimate defense.”

Defensive approach - off-hand cloak as medium shield (ap/hp 15)

Köppe’s school

Doctor of medicine and philosophy, a fencing master in Magdeburg

Anatomical precision - Damage Bonus 1D3

Swetnam’s school

"For he that is well instructed in the perfect skill with his weapon although but small of stature, and weake of strength, may with a little moving of his foote or suddain turning of his hand, or with the quick agility of his body kil and bring to the ground the tall and strongest man that is."

Dexterity and movement - Attacks with rapiers and daggers: base DEX*2, Roll Fumble twice and choose result

• Like 1