Optimistic Glorantha: Eucatastrophic Hero Wars outcomes

jenh

3 minutes ago, Eff said:

"Eucatastrophe" most formally refers to a sudden event, one that is predictable in hindsight but often not in foresight. As such, the most likely candidate for an unexpected save at the eleventh hour is simple- a reassembled Empire of Ganderland, sending forth quack teams of Heroes to help bring the unwinding world beak together. 

I unironically want the Ducks to, like, conduct a Heroquest to raise Ganderland from the sea or something, and live in peace there forever after (eh, well, as much peace as 30s cartoon duck expys can muster). 

It also satisfies my desire for there being a quest to raise some land from the sea, which goes against the general trend of land sinking in Glorantha (the other possible example of land-raising being the dwarves pulling Slon into Pamaltela).

• Thanks 2

On 8/1/2020 at 5:01 AM, Nick Underwood said:

An attempt to save Glorantha from the post-modern pessimism of it's creators? :)

I would double down on (a version of) postmodernism, and look for hope in the local.  How does the community associated with the PCs struggle to survive the everything

2 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

I unironically want the Ducks to, like, conduct a Heroquest to raise Ganderland from the sea or something, and live in peace there forever after (eh, well, as much peace as 30s cartoon duck expys can muster). 

Even better - they attempt to raise Ganderland, and get Kylerela, the Floating Land, instead.  Thus they get peace, etc. and once more are flying (even if it is the land that is flying).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eff said:

"Eucatastrophe" most formally refers to a sudden event, one that is predictable in hindsight but often not in foresight.

Another is the Resurrection of Slontos.  Maybe a response to the Reforestation of Maniria, maybe doesn't happen until post-Flood, but the propitiation and return of the goddess Slonta would provide a New Land.

And of course, the Repair of Slon/Jrustela by the dwarfs should restore a huge block of land that can once more be colonized.

• Like 3

There's the introduction the story A History of My Black Horse Troop in the old RQ Companion which seems to be written in some future age. It refers to "microscopic and sub-atomic Investigation" of the paper, and analysis of leather binding as being "from a creature whose genetic make-up is approximately 57% identical with the present-day horse." That indicates an scientifically advanced society, so there may be hope.

On 8/4/2020 at 12:04 AM, jajagappa said:

And of course, the Repair of Slon/Jrustela by the dwarfs should restore a huge block of land that can once more be colonized.

You would need to get rid of the dwarf infestation before you can start settlement, though. They like their surface bare and empty.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

22 minutes ago, Joerg said:

You would need to get rid of the dwarf infestation before you can start settlement, though. They like their surface bare and empty.

True, but it's a big area to cover, and their magic resources will likely be strained in reuniting Slon and raising the land.  There are quakebeasts and dinosaur hsunchen on Slon which will likely spread over the surface before they can do anything.  Plus windblown seeds, rain, etc. will contribute to lush growth.  Before they have a chance to do anything, Growth and Life will sweep across the surface.

On 8/3/2020 at 9:50 PM, Nevermet said:
On 8/1/2020 at 1:01 PM, Nick Underwood said:

An attempt to save Glorantha from the post-modern pessimism of it's creators? :)

I would double down on (a version of) postmodernism, and look for hope in the local.  How does the community associated with the PCs struggle to survive the everything

It's a great theme for gaming and there is something quietly heroic there. 

Actually isn't it a little like I Fought We Won? I should go read more because (from what little I know) it sounds like a rare Gloranthan event where the little things win out over great cosmic forces... 

Now there's grounds for optimism! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nevermet said:

There are a million IFWW moments scattered through the history of Glorantha and before time.  They just don't usually get remembered and consecrated.

Every initiate into adulthood (at least those following the rites of Heort) experiences this to some degree.  And it is likely repeated in every community during Sacred Time.

14 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Every initiate into adulthood (at least those following the rites of Heort) experiences this to some degree.  And it is likely repeated in every community during Sacred Time.

I love the treatment this gets in Six Seasons. During initiation you get to play out your own mini IFWW as part of re-enacting Heort's journey (now a journey into manhood). Really, it's some of the best scenario content I've read. 

(Shame about the Harry Potter dragon...) 

Different from my previous one.

So the Dwarves hijack the Boat Planet with their fleet and steer it directly over the Red Moon.  Then they fire up harpoons, turn the Boat Planet into a pulley, and sink the harpoons into the Red Moon and attach the other end of the line to their giant winch near Magasta's hole; they then hoist the Red Moon up with the other planets, thus binding it to the heavenly system.  This ends her conflict with Orlanth for the Middle Air.    

Argath metaphysically deflates and is revealed to be Garrath Sharpsword in a Scooby Doo style mask; he and Harrek flee the narrative to hide in Pamaltela, where the Doraddi are forced to admit they've never killed these people before and kill them, then decide that was probably a mistake and they won't do it again.  The gods, knowing what would have otherwise happened, form a giant circle and basically use Harrek and Argath's souls to play hackey-sack forever.  

The Dwarves raise Kallyr from the dead as a Cyborg and she lights the flame of Sartar... because they hid a bunsen burner under it. She is actually their puppet to keep Sartar from causing trouble again.

Pavis emerges from his hiding, ready for his kunitori - the Herdmen are turned back to normal humans, who slaughter the Morokanth.  They are aided by the Elves and now Prax is reforested and the Praxians must flee into the wastelands or be killed by the Elves.  The valley of Pavis becomes farmland to support the City of the Man Rune.  Prax is taken over by Elves and former Herd Men.

Trolls attempt to flood Dragon Pass with gold but priests of Issaries and Etryes use it for a grand rite which boosts the economy to a higher level.  The cities of Dragon Pass boom and flourish.

Argenteus uses the same trick that destroyed Elven forests to basically burn the Chaos regions of Dorastor to the ground.  He then eats a thin mint and explodes.  With the Red Moon gone, no new Moonson emerges and the Lunar Empire breaks into successor states that squabble among themselves on who loves the Red Goddess more.  Some of them are controlled by White Moon cultists.  One is ruled by the Chosen of Glamour herself.  Red Sister runs another one.

Five Arkats battle each other in Ralios until the Rokari take a shot at one of them and they agree that they've found a mutual murder obsession - time to destroy the Rokari movement; they unite Ralios, invade Seshnela and destroy it, laiughing like maniacs.  This eventually requires them to fuse together and fight Rokar himself.  Who troll-Arkat eats.

While illuminated individuals play a significant role in Glorantha and the Hero Wars, they seem mostly to take advantage of the insight to get tips and tricks to hit harder and/or get others to hit for them. There aren't, in my limited knowledge of the lore, many examples of people understanding their way out of problems. Though the Lunar Empire and their illumination is meant to reconcile Chaos and not-Chaos, that seems on a practical level to actually come down to shoving the Chaos off onto those who aren't sufficiently "us" and not being bothered by that.

In my next game I will put a focus on those gods, heroes, myths, and people that are not about hitting things, or manipulating others to hit things, and see how far, for example, Chalana Arroy can heal the body and the spirit not only of people but of Glorantha.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jenh said:

While illuminated individuals play a significant role in Glorantha and the Hero Wars, they seem mostly to take advantage of the insight to get tips and tricks to hit harder and/or get others to hit for them. There aren't, in my limited knowledge of the lore, many examples of people understanding their way out of problems. Though the Lunar Empire and their illumination is meant to reconcile Chaos and not-Chaos, that seems on a practical level to actually come down to shoving the Chaos off onto those who aren't sufficiently "us" and not being bothered by that.

In my next game I will put a focus on those gods, heroes, myths, and people that are not about hitting things, or manipulating others to hit things, and see how far, for example, Chalana Arroy can heal the body and the spirit not only of people but of Glorantha.

It has always struck me as strange that Jar-Eel, who has the *Harmony* rune runs around assassinating people.

She certainly seems a prime target for Chalanna to do for her what she did for Elmal.

3 hours ago, metcalph said:
5 hours ago, John Biles said:

It has always struck me as strange that Jar-Eel, who has the *Harmony* rune runs around assassinating people.

No different from Foundchild who serves harmony by killing animals.

Yes, by killing agents of Disorder and rebellion, she supports Harmony.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here