Suggestion for reprints of RuneQuest classic scenarios with RQG conversions

Paid a bod yn dwp

Goodman Games have made a successful line with their classic reprints of D&D modules. They include reproductions of the original adventures plus a conversion to the latest edition of D&D. 

Would love to see something similar implemented for the RuneQuest classic series. Be great to have the Classic adventures updated to RQG in a nice hard back format complete with the original reprint. 

Edited by Paid a bod yn dwp
  • Like 2

Yes, I agree.

However, I have seen the RQ3 reprints of RQ2 material and the associated backlash. RQ Classic was the RQ2 material made available again and was very popular, by all accounts.

Would the fans accept another lot of RQ2 material made available but with RQG stats? Maybe, maybe not.

There is definitely a market for RQ3 material being reissued.

I am not sure what benefit redoing RQ2/RQ3 stats for RQG would have, as it is an awful lot of work and fans are so picky when something isn't done exactly right.

Personally, I am happy using RQ2/3 stats with RQG as they are and just accepting that they are slightly different.

• Like 3

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

1 hour ago, soltakss said:

Personally, I am happy using RQ2/3 stats with RQG as they are and just accepting that they are slightly different.

Same here. The players don't get to audit my monsters' stats. Why waste time converting them with decimal precision?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paid a bod yn dwp said:

Would love to see something similar implemented for the RuneQuest classic series. Be great to have the Classic adventures updated to RQG in a nice hard back format complete with the original reprint. 

I have thought about this and discarded the thought. As Nick says, the players will never know and the game works rather well without having to change very much at all. Add in the passions and runes to taste and then have at it.

• Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

5 hours ago, Paid a bod yn dwp said:

Goodman Games have made a successful line with their classic reprints of D&D modules. They include reproductions of the original adventures plus a conversion to the latest edition of D&D. Would love to see something similar implemented for the RuneQuest classic series. Be great to have the Classic adventures updated to RQG in a nice hard back format complete with the original reprint. 

This isn't on our production schedule, and I doubt it will be any time soon. Firstly, we don't have the current bandwidth, so we would have to farm this out. Secondly, farming it out would not be that easy because very few people enjoy converting stat blocks. Thirdly, even if we did farm it out to someone willing to do the work and could do it well, we wouldn't do a single book with basically the whole book done twice. Griffin Mountain would be 500 pages! We would just "dual stat" the book.

In the end, the most likely thing to happen would be a volunteer working with Chaosium to convert the stat blocks to RQG, which we could then make available as a free or low cost PDF. We could even do all of them collectively as a POD book. Any volunteers to do the stat conversions?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

20 minutes ago, Rick Meints said:

This isn't on our production schedule, and I doubt it will be any time soon. Firstly, we don't have the current bandwidth, so we would have to farm this out. Secondly, farming it out would not be that easy because very few people enjoy converting stat blocks. Thirdly, even if we did farm it out to someone willing to do the work and could do it well, we wouldn't do a single book with basically the whole book done twice. Griffin Mountain would be 500 pages! We would just "dual stat" the book.

In the end, the most likely thing to happen would be a volunteer working with Chaosium to convert the stat blocks to RQG, which we could then make available as a free or low cost PDF. We could even do all of them collectively as a POD book. Any volunteers to do the stat conversions?

This would be cool - there are going to (hopefully) be more DMs new to the game showing up like myself and the wealth of older material is either hard to get or simply offputting as its not for this edition, something to make it all pretty much pick up and play from a mechanics perspective would be great.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

If it isn’t possible/feasible to do a reprint with dual stats then this would be a really useful alternative. I would happily pay for a nicely done POD book....would obviously need to do the RQ3 Gloranthan adventures as well :) 

Having said that I think Goodman Games has shown there’s a healthy market for a product that stays faithful to the original print whilst at the same time bridging the gap with the current edition. 

Conversion wise I guess it’s not too much of a difference between RQG and RQ2, but it’d still be handy to have a well conceived conversion at the ready. Likewise I think it’d be great to have access to RQG character generation backgrounds for the earlier timeline of RuneQuest classic. The less barriers to play the classic adventures the better. 

Edited by Paid a bod yn dwp

7 hours ago, Psullie said:

why not just create a web wiki of NPC's that could be community edited?

At a guess -- because it'd violate (c).  These things aren't public domain.

Also, Chaosium doesn't want to get into edit-wars, reverting wiki's, etc...

(RE-edit (dunno what happened to prior one):  I am not Chaosium.  I don't speak for them.)

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

4 hours ago, Paid a bod yn dwp said:

Having said that I think Goodman Games has shown there’s a healthy market for a product that stays faithful to the original print whilst at the same time bridging the gap with the current edition. 

Goodman Games has shown that there is a healthy market for a game that is as least 10x bigger than ours. What works for D&D doesn't always hold equally true for RQ. 

• Like 2

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

23 hours ago, svensson said:

I'd like to see a high end Lunar team in the same vein as the Lunar Coders in Strangers in Prax.

And I'd like to see a post-Lunar update to Prax and the Rubble.

As far as I know the latter is already in the works (by David Scott for Prax and by Robin Laws for the Rubble).

See

• Like 1

On 8/6/2020 at 10:30 AM, Rick Meints said:

I'd volunteer to do that for you Rick