Red Book of Magic /Sorcery expansion

svensson

The Red Book of Magic is a compilation of all published Rune and Spirit magic spells for RQG up to Gods & Goddesses of Glorantha (or whatever the name is right now). It will be released along with the GGG, possibly in the same box, and will not deal with sorcery at all AFAIK. Sorcery will be better covered in a future supplement focused on western Genertela, which I think is sadly no more than some notes at the moment.

• Like 4

I'm pretty sure @Richard S. is right about RBoM not being a "sorcery" book at all.

It began life as Chaosium's internal reference doc, for them to make sure they knew all the official Rune-magic & Spirit-magic spells in RQG, that they were drawing on the same version of the spell (not an older version from RQ2 or RQ3 days) etc etc etc.

Eventually, they realized it was only a polish-and-layout-and-art-commission away from being publishable... so that's what they are doing.

Sorcery will apparently get its expansion when Chaosium expands the West, where Sorcery is much more common.

Question though, for Richard -- where did you hit on the info that RBoM may be in a "box" or other set with GGG?

C'es ne pas un .sig

43 minutes ago, g33k said:

Question though, for Richard -- where did you hit on the info that RBoM may be in a "box" or other set with GGG?

I forget where I saw it, but I heard that GGG would be a multi-book set, and RBoM may come with it since it's a pretty natural supplement for a book of magical organizations.

7 hours ago, Richard S. said:

I forget where I saw it, but I heard that GGG would be a multi-book set, and RBoM may come with it since it's a pretty natural supplement for a book of magical organizations.

Huh.
The Gods books are confirmed as a duology, I think (IIRC there was even brief discussion of making it into 3, but AIUI they're back to talking about 2 books).

Never before heard of RBoM being included with those as part of a set!

Any comments, @Jeff ?

C'es ne pas un .sig

5 hours ago, g33k said:

Isn't the Brown Book of Zzabur the canonical title ?

Blue Book of Zzabur

Written by Zzabur himself in True Script, this book is a first-hand record of creation, inscribed upon the flayed, yet still-living skins of his ancient foes. The Blue Book requires great labor and study even to read; the intellect must be attuned through rigorous logical self-discipline (Solace) and other strictures so that it is not annihilated by the knowledge contained within the book. This book is the core source text for all zzaburi wizardry. No complete copy exists in the world today.

https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com/home/gloranthan-documents/glorantha-2/history-of-malkioni-thought-brithini-and-first-age/

On 8/24/2020 at 8:01 AM, Akhôrahil said:

Blue Book of Zzabur

Written by Zzabur himself in True Script, this book is a first-hand record of creation, inscribed upon the flayed, yet still-living skins of his ancient foes. The Blue Book requires great labor and study even to read; the intellect must be attuned through rigorous logical self-discipline (Solace) and other strictures so that it is not annihilated by the knowledge contained within the book. This book is the core source text for all zzaburi wizardry. No complete copy exists in the world today.

https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com/home/gloranthan-documents/glorantha-2/history-of-malkioni-thought-brithini-and-first-age/

So, what'd be the point of printing that if most of us won't be able to read it???

The flayed living skins might drive the price up a bit... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Guide on page 53 gives info on The Writings of Zzabur:

• The invocation & Curse: This book is a series of spells and curses to the Srvuali and Burtae
  • The Red Book (made from the skins of Red Vadeli): This book details the origins of the cosmos and the Runes.
  • The Blue Book: This book is a series of genealogies.
  • The Brown Book (written on the skins of foes): A pre-gods war history, Includes many of the most powerful spells ever used.
  • The Original Peoples: another history book
  • The Families Book: This book is a series of genealogies.

and don't forget the self written Abiding book.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

• 3 years later...