Encumbrance

Lloyd Dupont

12 hours ago, weasel fierce said:

Expert added a "proper" encumbrance table.
Carrying up to 0.5 x STR = no penalties.
Carrying up to 1 x STR = -20% movement speed, -1 DEX 
Carrying up to 1.5 x STR = -40% speed, -3 DEX 
Carrying up to 2 x STR = -60% speed, -7 DEX (and dex skills are impossible).

Hi Weasel. I'm familiar with it. Don't like it. Here's why.

Using a STR 20 SIZ25 creature, we have something that's about 2.4 metres by 218 kg, or about 8 ft, 480 pounds

Using RAW, this creature can carry 30 kg without penalty, vs a body weight of 218 kg, or about about 14%. 

At the other end of the spectrum, using RAW start with a STR 10 and SIZ 10 creature. This creature can carry at 0 penalty around 15 kg, which is 25% of their body weight, vs 14% for the stronger creature i used in the first example. Admittedly this system favours stronger characters.

At the end of RAW though, it still doesn't tell me how much I can expect a character to move. Calculating then using that number as a basis for an ENC system seems logical.

Truthfully though, I have no idea what happens with this idea at values below 11 in a STR-10 rule though/ Im not even sure it can be made to work.

I can't say you're wrong but not all environments have ducks, hobbits and faeries right? But you're absolutely right... the system can't crush smaller characters, the same way it shouldn't nerf more powerful ones. I should take a look at that, make it part of figuring out what can happen at values less than 11.

This is all an experiment really. I'm not married to any of it. Just seeing where it goes

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Warframe44 said:

I can't say you're wrong but not all environments have ducks, hobbits and faeries right? But you're absolutely right... the system can't crush smaller characters, the same way it shouldn't nerf more powerful ones. I should take a look at that, make it part of figuring out what can happen at values less than 11.

This is all an experiment really. I'm not married to any of it. Just seeing where it goes

Oh sure, I was just thinking out loud since we're all speculating and theorizing 🙂