Jump to content

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, jackleg2010 said:

My current collection, not including my PDFs Legend, RQ2,and the Gold Book. Oh, and GORE. Do I have enough? And why do I want more? ūüėÜ

15983217080634468585915764093124.jpg

You would still probably find the Big Gold Book useful!

* Woops I stand corrected - you already have the BGB.

Edited by rsanford
Link to post
Share on other sites

You probably want to add RQG -- the current edition.  Probably in print, because it's a Glorious book!  Probably the full slipcase, because the Bestiary is equally Glorious, and why not get the full slipcase set for the minor incremental extra cost over RQG core + Bestiary.

If you have no interest -- even "negative interest" -- in Glorantha itself, then maybe just the corebook in PDF; but the new RQG edition has some interesting new mechanics, if you are gathering interesting BRP/d100 mechanics.  Look in particular at all the ways Runes are used, and Rune Pools.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2020 at 7:29 AM, g33k said:

If you have no interest -- even "negative interest" -- in Glorantha itself, then maybe just the corebook in PDF; but the new RQG edition has some interesting new mechanics, if you are gathering interesting BRP/d100 mechanics.  Look in particular at all the ways Runes are used, and Rune Pools.

But don't look too hard if you ever want to release a BRP-variant game.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chaot said:

I see the most important book up there in the top left!

Advanced Sorcery is a good book to add. I would recommend Call of Cthulhu too. Lots of fun things to steal from that.

Arguably "the most important book" would be a copy of RQ2/RQClassic (or RQ1, if you prefer; but nothing "branched off" from RQ1, everything branched off from RQ2), as the foundational work; but the OP says they have it in PDF, so...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, g33k said:

Arguably "the most important book" would be a copy of RQ2/RQClassic

Only because of its early publication. The BRP rules hit its apex with Elric!

;)

Edited by Chaot
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Chaot said:

Only because of its early publication. The BRP rules hit its apex with Elric!

No RQ = no BRP rules to ever hit an apex.

Elric! would've been a mod of the AD&D ruleset, after TSR used Moorcock's stuff in Deities & Demigods.



Bow down and give thanks for RQ!

ūüėĀ

Edited by g33k
apologies to jackleg2010 for hijacking the thread!
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2020 at 9:40 AM, Chaot said:

Only because of its early publication. The BRP rules hit its apex with Elric!

;)

Hopefully not. It would be kind of sad if BRP reached its apex in 1993. That would be a very long downward slope since then :).

Still Elric! was stunning for the amount of good stuff crammed into a very tight package.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DreadDomain said:

Hopefully not. It would be kind of sad if BRP reached its apex in 1993. That would be a very long downward slope since then :).

Still Elric! was stunning for the amount of good stuff crammed into a very tight package.

Oh, I dunno.  The Eloi and Morlocks had a long successful run descending the evolutionary ladder.

Just avoid Aunt Fang's casserole at the annual family picnic.  You never know who might be in it.  (BTW, have you seen Cousin Ennis, recently?)

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2020 at 7:40 PM, Chaot said:

Only because of its early publication. The BRP rules hit its apex with Elric!

;)

WoW! I guess we disagree on that. I think the Elric! was one of the low points of the BRP  rules. A bunch of characteristics that meant little and every PC with a skill above 100% in their primary weapon. 

15 hours ago, DreadDomain said:

Hopefully not. It would be kind of sad if BRP reached its apex in 1993. That would be a very long downward slope since then :).

I suspect it reached it's apex back in 1985. RuneQuest, Stormbringer, Worlds of Wonder, Questworld, Superworld,  Call of Cthulhu, Ringworld, Elfquest, Thieve's World  and Pendragon were all out by then. Chaosium was never as innovative as they were up until then. Post 85, Stormbringer kinda faded from the scene only getting occasional support, RQ sort of fizzled out under Avalon Hill, then the RQ4 sex scandal and splitting up of the company into three separate entities, followed by Chaosium pretty much focusing almost exclusively on CoC with the, a occasional reprinted of older stuff. So yeah, a very very long downward slope.

It's only relatively recently that Chaosium's been doing innovative stuff again. RQG and CoC7 are both innovative and mark the first real changes to the game system from Chaosium in decades.

Quote

Still Elric! was stunning for the amount of good stuff crammed into a very tight package.

Almost all of which was sourced from previous products such as Strombringer, CoC, and RQ.  

Edited by Atgxtg
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

WoW! I guess we disagree on that. I think the Elric! was one of the low points of the BRP  rules. A bunch of characteristics that meant little and every PC with a skill above 100% in their primary weapon. 

Two aspects I also dislike. I fact having characteristics not improve/influence skills is probably something I dislike the most in some BRP games.

8 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

I suspect it reached it's apex back in 1985. RuneQuest, Stormbringer, Worlds of Wonder, Questworld, Superworld,  Call of Cthulhu, Ringworld, Elfquest, Thieve's World  and Pendragon were all out by then. Chaosium was never as innovative as they were up until then.

It certainly was a golden age but with CoC, KAP and RQ all back home, with Glorantha and RuneQuest more synonymous than ever, with the innovations of both CoC and RQ, with KAP on the verge of getting its ultimate and final Greg edition, with the glorious quality of the books they are now producing, including a never before seen consistent and strong art direction for Glorantha and the sheer amount of stuff available, by Chaosium or through fan programs, I would say the apex is now and rising. And I did not even mention other quality BRP lines like Mythras.

8 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

Post 85, Stormbringer kinda faded from the scene only getting occasional support, RQ sort of fizzled out under Avalon Hill, then the RQ4 sex scandal and splitting up of the company into three separate entities, followed by Chaosium pretty much focusing almost exclusively on CoC with the occasional reprinted of older stuff. So yeah, a very very long downward slope.

To be fair RQ3 only started to fizzled out after Strangers in Prax but yeah that era was hard on BRP. And I would have loved seeing RQ4 in print. Alas.

8 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

Almost all of which was sourced from previous products such as Strombringer, CoC, and RQ.  

Sure. My comment was more about the tightness of the package rather than any innovations it brought.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, DreadDomain said:

 I would say the apex is now and rising.

Well all hope. But I wouldn't say the current era has surpassed the early-mid-80s yet. 

Having stuff "all back home" isn't really true. Sure the company name is the same, but the people running the show aren't the same, nor, sadly, could they be.  

14 minutes ago, DreadDomain said:

To be fair RQ3 only started to fizzled out after Strangers in Prax but yeah that era was hard on BRP. And I would have loved seeing RQ4 in print. Alas.

Oh it started to fizzle out long before that. Most of the problems were due to AH running the show.

14 minutes ago, DreadDomain said:

Sure. My comment was more about the tightness of the package rather than any innovations it brought.

Okay. I'm still not all that sure I agree with you though. I pretty much consider Elric! to be mediocre all across the board, "tightness" included. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Atgxtg said:

Well all hope. But I wouldn't say the current era has surpassed the early-mid-80s yet. 

Having stuff "all back home" isn't really true. Sure the company name is the same, but the people running the show aren't the same, nor, sadly, could they be.  

Oh it started to fizzle out long before that. Most of the problems were due to AH running the show.

Cool, let's agree to disagree on all accounts then.

1 hour ago, Atgxtg said:

Okay. I'm still not all that sure I agree with you though. I pretty much consider Elric! to be mediocre all across the board, "tightness" included. 

A very reasonable position. To be clear, even if I praised the tightness of the package, Elric! Is not my preferred iteration of BRP (you already named a few reasons to which I subscribe). My favoured would be a RQ3/RQG hybrid... but it only exists in my head...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DreadDomain said:

Cool, let's agree to disagree on all accounts then.

Certainly. It's mostly a matter of opinion and fine details anyway. 

1 hour ago, DreadDomain said:

A very reasonable position. To be clear, even if I praised the tightness of the package, Elric! Is not my preferred iteration of BRP (you already named a few reasons to which I subscribe). My favoured would be a RQ3/RQG hybrid... but it only exists in my head...

At one time I used to run a hybrid of RQ3 and Stormbringer. RQ had a lot of stuff that SB lacked, and it wasn't all that tough to port over and adapt the Stormbringer magic system to RQ. And that was pre-Elric!. Post Elric! it would be even easier.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

A bunch of characteristics that meant little and every PC with a skill above 100% in their primary weapon. 

I would frame it a little differently but I list both of those as positives. It also got rid of hit locations, strike ranks and fatigue and codified spot rules for nearly every occasion!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Chaot said:

I would frame it a little differently but I list both of those as positives.

I don't. Id characterstics don't mean much then there is no reason in tracking them in the first place; ever PC having a combat skill over 100% just covers for the weaknesses in the combat system.

57 minutes ago, Chaot said:

It also got rid of hit locations, strike ranks and fatigue and codified spot rules for nearly every occasion!

No, Stormbringer and CoC had already done all of that, years ago.. Elric! just copied and pasted from previous work. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Chaot said:

I would frame it a little differently but I list both of those as positives. It also got rid of hit locations, strike ranks and fatigue and codified spot rules for nearly every occasion!

Out of the main options, the only ones I dislike are "characteristics do not influence skills" and "combat skills in the 200% and above" aside from that, I very much liked Elric!. That being said, I prefer:

  • Hit locations over Major wounds table
  • Strike ranks over DEX ranks
  • Fatigue rules over no fatigue rules
  • Fixed armour over rolled armour
  • Rules for disarming, closing, disengaging, aiming, knockback, charging, etc over generic attacks.

So for most of those (the last one depends on specific editions), I prefer RQ over Stormbringer/Elric/Magic World. But I still like them anyway.

 

Edited by DreadDomain
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DreadDomain said:

Out of the main options, the only ones I dislike are "characteristics do not influence skills" and "combat skills in the 200% and above" aside from that, I very much liked Elric!. That being said, I prefer:

  • Hit locations over Major wounds table
  • Strike ranks over DEX ranks
  • Fatigue rules over no fatigue rules
  • Fixed armour over rolled armour
  • Rules for disarming, closing, disengaging, aiming, knockback, charging, etc over generic attacks.

So for most of those (the last one depends on specific editions), I prefer RQ over Stormbringer/Elric/Magic World. But I still like them anyway.

 

I can not say it a better way.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...