Problem with the search function

Richard S.

I think there's either something wrong with the search function or some data just got deleted. I was trying to search "Aeolian" and only got two results, both from within the last few days. I know for a fact there should be more hits for that word.

On 8/27/2020 at 7:13 PM, Richard S. said:

I think there's either something wrong with the search function or some data just got deleted. I was trying to search "Aeolian" and only got two results, both from within the last few days. I know for a fact there should be more hits for that word.

I just tried the same search and got 6 pages of results. Maybe just a database hickup when you searched?

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

12 minutes ago, Trifletraxor said:

I just tried the same search and got 6 pages of results. Maybe just a database hickup when you searched?

I thought I would try a little detective work myself oh "master of beetles" and as I am in the middle of a Heortland project that I have been working on for a while I entered in this word “Heortland”, and found only two pages where once there were very very many.

Cheers

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

Thirded; or is that fourth'ed?
2 pages of results on Bill's search, 3 (total!) results on  Richard's (he reports 2, but I also see the search-term as a found result)

Google finds almost 400, and 128, respectively (Googling for  <searchterm> site:basicroleplaying.org)

Different users finding different results strikes me as a permissions issue, off the top of my head...

Have Mod's maybe had an accident with hiding some results, e.g. trimming topics that drift?

C'es ne pas un .sig

3 hours ago, Tranquillitas Ordinis said:

I have a probably related problem: the "open letter to chaosium" thread has disappeared from the CoC forum. This link does not work, I just get a message "Sorry, you do not have permission for that!"

Gah.

Now /that/ one smacks entirely of Chaosium deciding not to host the topic on their "official forums."
I saw another such topic "suddenly vanish" from a thread.

Not a fan of that sort of decision.

C'es ne pas un .sig

11 hours ago, Trifletraxor said:

Sadly not, I got three results in this account. I suspect you are logged in as admin. As @Scotty moderator I got 6 pages. There looks like some kind of permissions problem.

• Thanks 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

On 8/29/2020 at 2:14 AM, Tranquillitas Ordinis said:

I have a probably related problem: the "open letter to chaosium" thread has disappeared from the CoC forum. This link does not work, I just get a message "Sorry, you do not have permission for that!"

Not a software issue. I followed the link and the thread has been hidden by a moderator.

On 8/29/2020 at 9:51 AM, David Scott said:

Sadly not, I got three results in this account. I suspect you are logged in as admin. As @Scotty moderator I got 6 pages. There looks like some kind of permissions problem.

I've been searching the AdminCP without finding a reason for this. We're due for a major software upgrade next Friday, hopefully it will bring with it a better search engine. It's always been kind of sucky.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

On 8/29/2020 at 10:51 PM, Tranquillitas Ordinis said:

I do not think this was moderator's decision to delete/hide the thread, since there was nothing outrageous posted there. It was a discussion about future Chaosium releases, with even company members adding their input. So I suspect it might be a bug, that some content can not be accessed by regular members, as David Scott pointed out.

Title of thread changed to something less tendentious. Chaosium editors are active and responsive on these forums.

Edited by MOB
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/27/2020 at 10:13 AM, Richard S. said:

On 8/31/2020 at 12:39 PM, Trifletraxor said:

I've been searching the AdminCP without finding a reason for this. We're due for a major software upgrade next Friday, hopefully it will bring with it a better search engine. It's always been kind of sucky.

Well, upgrade in-hand!  Re-testing...
Not looking good on this issue, @Trifletraxor .
"Aeolian" now finds *FIVE* hits for me.

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 4 months later...
42 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Can someone have a go with searching. I've rebuilt the index and it works for my personal account.

Had a go, got what I looked for, YAY! Except I looked for my mojo and the engine found it under the bed... weird!

• 1 month later...
On 2/9/2021 at 9:54 AM, Scotty said:

Can someone have a go with searching. I've rebuilt the index and it works for my personal account.

I works... I think?
I went back to the prior term I tested with, "Aeolian".

Google "aeolian site:basicroleplaying.org" = "about 160 results"

Native BRPC search for "aeolian" = "Found 136 results"

That 24-hit discrepancy seems odd ... but maybe Google / BRPC are counting threads-vs-posts a bit differently ... ?

Anyhow.  A vast improvement, for sure!

Also, Scotty:  please make sure the engine stops indexing underneath Barbarian-Beds.   NONE of us need to see that stuff...

• Haha 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

36 minutes ago, g33k said:

Also, Scotty:  please make sure the engine stops indexing underneath Barbarian-Beds.   NONE of us need to see that stuff...

Scotty ignore that last comment. Some of us might be very interested, indeed!

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, g33k said:

Google "aeolian site:basicroleplaying.org" = "about 160 results"

Native BRPC search for "aeolian" = "Found 136 results"

That 24-hit discrepancy seems odd ... but maybe Google / BRPC are counting threads-vs-posts a bit differently ... ?

The internal search uses the database, Google searches the pages, so all the replies will be included.