Chaos Pantheon - Guide to Glorantha Page 153

FungusColombicus

5 hours ago, FungusColombicus said:

are the second rune (mastery) of Ompalam incorrect should it be inverse from what is in the book ?image.png.6dafd0b783f88b116286bf0bbc593b3a.png 

Are you asking about the order or sequence of the Runes?  If so, then I don't believe it particularly matters as those are just his Runes.

But maybe you are asking something else?

Tarot has different meanings for "reversed" or "upside-down" cards.

I *think* that I recall that at one point in Glorantha -- that some Runes that have a top/bottom could be "reversed" for another meaning.  My recollection of that was that it was a HR or other "I'm not paying any real attention to that" detail...

C'es ne pas un .sig

Sorry, that’s my fault. I made a joke about organisation charts and Slavery Runes (inverted Mastery Runes) on a RQCon panel back in the mid-nineties, and it’s still doing the rounds. There is no canonical basis for inverting Ompalam’s Mastery Rune.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Overall, there's no reason why runes can't be at any angle. In books It's a limitation of fonts (unless you want to get fiddly). It's convention that we keep them the "right" way up.    and some are symmetrical so it doesn't matter. It's been long established that there are no alternative meanings for inverted runes. We now have lots of art with runes at all angles. There is a font that has along with the usual mastery run has one on its side, but it looks like an E.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

10 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

Sorry, that’s my fault. I made a joke about organisation charts and Slavery Runes (inverted Mastery Runes) on a RQCon panel back in the mid-nineties, and it’s still doing the rounds. There is no canonical basis for inverting Ompalam’s Mastery Rune.

Exactly my point of my question... wow... 90s... that non canon rumor surely carries some heavy weight.

Thanks for the clarification.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, FungusColombicus said:

Exactly my point of my question... wow... 90s... that non canon rumor surely carries some heavy weight.

"It's always the '90s somewhere in Glorantha fandom. It's just unevenly distributed."

Your original question was very helpful to me personally in terms of figuring out how Orlanth works in the southern corner, so far from Dara Happan chauvinism and the suns northerners know. When they think of an Evil Emperor, they think of someone different. Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

singer sing me a given

7 hours ago, David Scott said:

Overall, there's no reason why runes can't be at any angle. In books It's a limitation of fonts (unless you want to get fiddly). It's convention that we keep them the "right" way up.    and some are symmetrical so it doesn't matter. It's been long established that there are no alternative meanings for inverted runes. We now have lots of art with runes at all angles. There is a font that has along with the usual mastery run has one on its side, but it looks like an E.

I understand your point and you are correct... as with most of writing methods you can write in almost any geometric arrangement. YET, in some cases particularly with non alphabetical writing (scripts) that is not the case. Take the futhark runes as example, depending if the rune is pointing right or upside down it could mean something different.

To be perfectly honest my question was a mix of curiosity and the old rumor read somewhere.

My questions was perfectly explained by @Nick Brooke about the "non canon rumor" perfectly.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

Once you say something, it is canon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

2 hours ago, FungusColombicus said:

if said by a serious panelist in a public environment... is like having the gods making a pronouncement... I AGREE... should be canon.

A what now?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, FungusColombicus said:

Exactly what I meant...
image.png.63b4f271a6ee389c28fae7292f0af82d.png

1 hour ago, FungusColombicus said:

serial panelist is such that in his lifetime participated in earnest in more than 3 panels. Depending on the contain of the panel it may be consider antisocial.

Quite different from what I meant.

I can't tell if these are jokes as well, but the "serial" misinterpretation was made in jest.