BRP Imperial China

GianniVacca

Be sure to keep some of the words count for putting some adventures/scenarios seeds that will allow GM and players to grasp and use some of the rules/spells/combat concepts you are introducing in this sourcebook. (kind of quick start basic scenarios )

No reason to keep introductory stuff for a scenario pack that will be published later...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Magic

This chapter will be further sub-divided into

• Battle Magic
  • Daoist Magic
  • Buddhist Magic
  • Muslim Magic
  • Demon Magic

Divination, Geomancy and Exorcism will be supernatural skills à la BRP Rome rather than Powers/Magic-based.

• 2 weeks later...

The current, tentative title is 天下 [Tiān Xià]

How about either of the following? Alternatively they could be titles for additional source books, or sections for additional rules that address the style of play for the genre they cover.

Wǔxiá 武侠 - Wuxia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jiānghú 江湖 - Jianghu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Blurb is up. When do you expect to submit it to Alephtar Games?

Hopefully early 2010.

(by the way, there's no copyright issues with the image is there?)

Copyright laws are notoriously lax in China :)

Copyright laws are notoriously lax in China :)

I imagine they are. I do however try to keep at least the front page "clean" of copyright-issues, so I've replace the image. Tell me if you find something else you rather use where this is no problem. :ohwell:

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

I understand. The picture of the Taoist sorcerer is from a Taiwanese deck of (standard) playing cards... The Water Margin heroes are extremely popular in East Asia, like Robin Hood or the Three Musketeers in Europe, and even probably more so.

The new picture is nice, though.

Cheers.

Guest Vile Traveller

IThe picture of the Taoist sorcerer is from a Taiwanese deck of (standard) playing cards...

It's probably not copyrighted, in that case. Looks pretty old, anyway (although looks can be deceiving). Do you know who the artist is?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Gianni,

About that adventure in the new BRP China book. Something like a Judge Dee mistery maybe?

If you look at the first set of books that Van Gulik wrote, the Judge usually works on three cases at the same time, fairly often in different social strata, and there is always some fighting, either with swords or with bare hands in it. You could just rip the plot from one of the books, or make one up yourself. If you choose one from the Judge Dee books, you are even garanteed that it is a historic case! Although not neccessarily in that setting...

I do not know who I am, but I do know where i'm going!

Hello Gianni,

About that adventure in the new BRP China book. Something like a Judge Dee mistery maybe?

If you look at the first set of books that Van Gulik wrote, the Judge usually works on three cases at the same time, fairly often in different social strata, and there is always some fighting, either with swords or with bare hands in it. You could just rip the plot from one of the books, or make one up yourself. If you choose one from the Judge Dee books, you are even garanteed that it is a historic case! Although not neccessarily in that setting...

Yes, the Judge Dee adventures are absolutely awesome. Van Gulik wrote his first novel as a tribute to the historical novel Dee Goong An, which contains three intertwined cases, and he then kept this constraint for most of the following novels that he wrote.

And van Gulik's novels are indeed very diverse, with detective investigations, philosophical digressions, fights, romance... I wish I could write adventures as good as van Gulik's novels!

• 4 weeks later...

About the intro adventure....

I've been thinking about something like the "Choose your own adventure" books. You could take one of Judge Dee's assistants, and have him or her look for clues, on order or advice from the judge. This way he or she can get into a fight, in which you use fight rules from the system, and visit several distinct social classes. And make friends with the guildmaster of the beggar guild, if possible. And he or she must attend a session in court. After all, he or she is a trusted advisor of the judge.

Does that sound like a usable idea?

I do not know who I am, but I do know where i'm going!

• 3 months later...

Any news on this one ? :)

Working on my Bothanta setting, I could well use some "Chinese ideas" to give the setting some

additional colour and depth, and from what has been mentioned so far I would very much pre-

fer Tian Xia to supplements like GURPS China ...

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Any news on this one ? :)

Still finalising the background part of TX. And after that, Paolo's going to own the publication schedule, not me.

I intend to demo TX in Bacharach -- not too far from Augsburg, is it?

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

And the cover and a new blurb is out:

The Celestial Empire

the-celestial-empire.jpgThe Celestial Empire is an old phrase used in Classical Chinese to describe the Chinese Empire. In the original Chinese writing, the phrase literally reads ‘Heavenly dynasty’ – ‘Large country’, which renders both the size of the country and the fact that the emperor was considered as having directly been mandated by Heaven. This book is thus a historically accurate roleplaying game about Imperial China. Yet history-based does not mean boring: depending on the game master’s inspiration, ‘The Celestial Empire’ may capture the exotic bewilderment of The Journey to the West, the virile excitement of The Water Margin, the investigative astuteness of Judge Dee, or the kinetic fantasy from Hong Kong fiction! Included with the setting is also a fully-fledged introductory adventure and several adventure seeds.

160 pages. The author is Gianni Vacca, aka GianniVacca from the forum. Expected to be in stock at Cubicle 7 from december 2010.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

• 4 months later...

Here is my review of Celestial Empire from my LibraryThing (http://www.librarything.com/work/book/70037020):

An excellent roleplaying resource. It is dense enough with historical and cultural detail to make for a fascinating setting (or rather, settings, because it describes the differences between several dynastic periods in China) without repelling the reader with too much detail. It is an admirable introduction to the classic Chinese setting for Western roleplayers. Information on religions, cults and cultural attitudes are interesting and provide immediate game hooks. The game information about professions, allegiances, spells and monsters is well done. My only criticisms would be that the research (or the quotations at least) relied almost exclusively on the work of British sinologist Herbert Giles, and that no adventure is provided. However this is a very good piece of work, and it inspires me to run an ancient Chinese campaign. (Four and a half stars).

Thanks, Gianni. A roleplaying supplement with just the right balance of background and game information. I will have a review of Chronicles of Future Earth soon (after I have pondered it a little further).

Thanks a lot. And from Melbourne, the place of my favourite Chinese restaurant :)

The research was based on countless books... The reason I almost only quoted Giles's was because of copyright issues.