Etyries cultist at an Issaries temple.

Manimati

10 hours ago, metcalph said:

You could extend this I think to Irrippi Ontor and Lhankor Mhy, Buserian and Whoever-the-Carmanian-Knowledge-God-is.

Theoretially it should also be possible for Yanafal Tarnils and Humakt although the requirements each cult is likely to impose upon the other will probably be lethal hazing.

For Irrippi Ontor/Lhankor Mhy, it could be, because Cults of Prax says that they share many spells (like Etyries/issaries do) although Mindblast seems to be an Irrippi Ontor exclusive spell.

On the other hand Yanafals Tarnils and Humakt seem to have severed their relationship, as evidenced by the irreconcilable differences in sword shape preferences. They don't want to have anything to do with each other. 

That's an important issue since Lunar adventurers in 1625  Dragon Pass have difficulties regaining their rune points unless they can (ab)use the lunar subcult trick. 

Etyries/Issaries (yes but might need some bargaining)

Irrippi Ontor/Lhankor Mhy (possible)

Hon-eel/Ernalda (very likely in my opinion)

Yanalals Tarnil/Humakt (I would not allow it my game but YGWV)

Chalana Arroy/Deezola (I would not allow it because Deezola has no prohibition against violence)

I hope the the forthcoming cults book will shed more light on that question.

5 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Again, on the "nothing is ever as straightforward and simple as it should be" principle, of course these relatively benign religions are frequently persecuted unfairly as being Rebellus Terminus sympathisers at heart. If your scenario needs them to be, and not if it needs them not to be.

Not even sure it's unfairly. "We're neutral, except for when Orlanthi ask for help" is... not all that strong a position.

• Like 1

I can see Issaries cultists being really condescending to Etyries, treating her as just another Subcult of Issaries. Etyries cultists, on the other hand, emphasise her nature as Pathfinder for the Lunars, how she achieved enlightenment and so on, with the Issaries people saying "Oh, isn't that nice?"

As for Lhankor Mhy/Irrippi Ontor, that is more of a rival cults, vying for the same knowledge, with Irrippi Ontor having access to some of Lhankor Mhy's Library, but not vice versa.

For Humakt and Yanafal Tarnils, it is a bit different, as Humakti think that Yanafal Tarnils cheated when Humakt's comp[anions ran off to chase the Young Elementals (I think) away and Yanafal Tarnils and his Companions attacked Humakt on his own and fought him to a standstill. They also claim that he cheated, as he was brought back to life in the battle, so he was killed and returned rather than just fighting to a standstill.

All of these Lunar Cults have, in my Glorantha, marked differences between them and their parent cults, as if the cultists have deliberately gone out of their way to do things differently.

• Like 3

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

• 2 weeks later...

To follow up on that thread, I have written up the Etyries subcult of Issaries. One of my players just rolled up an Etyries merchant character to play in our Sartar campaign.

Runes: Harmony, Mobility, Moon

Myths: Etyries acknowledges all the myths of her father. She also has myths about playing the same role for the Red Goddess as Issaries plays for Orlanth. She is a “natural”, meaning that she has reached illumination by herself, without being taught.

Holy days: same as Issaries

Initiate membership: same as issaries. 
Note: illumination is not taught by Etyries. Cultists must attain it by themselves.

Rune magic: Same as Issaries
 Add Enchant Silver to Enchantments.

Naturally, Etyries rune magic is subject to the lunar Cycle.

Note: Etyries rune points can be regained at a Issaries temple. Some negotiations might be needed to gain access to the temple, and sartarite Issaries cultists might ostensibely show their displeasure about an Etyries cultist attending.

Priesthood: (although they are traditionally called priestesses, priesthood is also open to males)
Trader Priestess = Same as Trader Prince

Merchant Priestess = Same as Merchant Priest
Note: Like Garzeen Priests, Etyries Merchant Priestesses are bound by the promise to attempt to reassemble the body of Genert when encountering hyenas. However, illuminated Merchant Priestesses may chose not to honor that promise.

Associated cults:
The Red Goddess: provides Reflection
The Seven Mothers: provides Regrow Limb

Distinctive signs: Etyries cultists dress in whatever way they wish, however they traditionally wear a red feather, on their hat, in their hair, or on their helmet.
A red feather is also often attached to their staff, or to their weapon.
Silver is the favored metal of Etyries, her cultists wear as much silver (or silver plated) equipment as possible.

Chief priestesses: whenever several Merchant Priestesses are applying for the same position, preference is always given to illuminated applicants.

Edited by Manimati
typos + added runes+ lunar cycle+ bold
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Manimati said:

To follow up on that thread, I have written up the Etyries subcult of Issaries. One of my players just rolled up an Etyries merchant character to play in our Sartar campaign.

Runes: Harmony, Mobility, Moon

Myths: Etyries acknowledges all the myths of her father. She also has myths about playing the same role for the Red Goddess as Issaries plays for Orlanth. She is a “natural”, meaning that she has reached illumination by herself, without being taught.

Holy days: same as Issaries

Initiate membership: same as issaries. 
Note: illumination is not taught by Etyries. Cultists must attain it by themselves.

Note: Etyries rune points can be regained at a Issaries temple. Some negotiations might be needed to gain access to the temple, and sartarite Issaries cultists might ostensibely show their displeasure about an Etyries cultist attending.

Priesthood: (although they are traditionally called priestesses, priesthood is also open to males)
Trader Priestess = Same as Trader Prince

Merchant Priestess = Same as Merchant Priest
Note: Like Garzeen Priests, Etyries Merchant Priestesses are bound by the promise to attempt to reassemble the body of Genert when encountering hyenas. However, illuminated Merchant Priestesses may chose not to honor that promise.

Associated cults:
The Red Goddess: provides Reflection
The Seven Mothers: provides Regrow Limb

Distinctive signs: Etyries cultists dress in whatever way they wish, however they traditionally wear a red feather, on their hat, in their hair, or on their helmet.
A red feather is also often attached to their staff, or to their weapon.
Silver is the favored metal of Etyries, her cultists wear as much silver (or silver plated) equipment as possible.

Chief priestesses: whenever several Merchant Priestesses are applying for the same position, preference is always given to illuminated applicants.

How can they tell who is illuminated?  divination?

4 hours ago, Manimati said:

Btw, Etyries was included in the old RQ3 Gods of Glorantha book, so her Rune magic is known from that.

She had:  Exchange Spells (an ability to exchange spirit magic spells between two individuals), Path Watch, and Reflection (but Reflection was subject in its own way to the Lunar cycle).

Her spirit magic was: Countermagic, Extinguish, Farsee, Glue, Ignite, Mobility, and Repair.

She did not have the ability to Create a Market, though (one reason why Issaries cult members do travel across the Empire).

52 minutes ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

How can they tell who is illuminated?  divination?

Illuminates can recognise other Illuminates. Fortunately, the Lunar Empire has an abundance of them.

Here's the first Illuminated ability listed in Cults of Terror:

Ability To Sense Illumination - once the person is Illuminated, he always will recognize other Illuminates. This is not a skill or sense, rather the Illuminate’s special knowledge permits him to deduce the presence of another Illuminate from physical evidence, gesture, intonation, etc., which non-illuminated persons would not have cause or way to understand.

(In the draft I've seen for Cults of Glorantha, different Illuminates can get different powers - but this remains one of the more common powers) 

Edited by Nick Brooke

21 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

She did not have the ability to Create a Market, though (one reason why Issaries cult members do travel across the Empire).

It's possible that within the Empire, Issaries is seen as an associated cult of Etyries that creates those static, old-fashioned, fuddy-duddy markets. His daughter, though, knows how to make them do things that were never dreamed of in the Old Economy...

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Nick Brooke said:

It's possible that within the Empire, Issaries is seen as an associated cult of Etyries that creates those static, old-fashioned, fuddy-duddy markets. His daughter, though, knows how to make them do things that were never dreamed of in the Old Economy...

That seems very likely.  (Besides, where's the profit for the Empire if you're always creating a "neutral" ground???)

• Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 1:09 AM, Manimati said:

Chalana Arroy/Deezola (I would not allow it because Deezola has no prohibition against violence)

Deezola is Lunarised Ernalda (well, technically Dendara, who is roughly Solarised Ernalda), not Chalana Arroy. Her healing magic is very similar to Ernaldas (so quite good, but not as good as CA), and she also has some Earth magic (weaker than Ernaldas) and some association with rulership. 
Hon-Eel seems like Lunarised Ernalda, but she is really more Esrola- she is a grain goddess. 
Old publications described Deezola as having been a priestess of Arachne Solara with healing and Earth powers - I don’t think she has ever been linked with CA in any official publication? Though it’s true the 7M did used to be the only other cult with reusable resurrect.