These RuneQuest Classic titles will soon be available POD...

MOB

53 minutes ago, Rick Meints said:

There's the 1st edition in the upper right, and all the rest are 2nd edition printings.

Yes, as far as the 2nd edition is concerned, I'm aware of:

• The UK Games Workshop edition (top left)
  • The "fat" and "skinny" boxed sets (top middle), although I think there are other variants of those boxes with different Chaosium logos?
  • Some monochrome standalone softcover books (I think there's one red and one green? Are these the 2 below the 1st edition, top right?)
  • And then some mix of softcovers and hardcovers, with an added mix of the old/new logo (probably the ones on the bottom row?)
  • The Kickstarter reprint hardcover

• Confused 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

On 9/18/2020 at 8:17 AM, lordabdul said:

see you have some spare copies of RuneQuest... when I built up my RQ2 collection a couple years ago, I came across some damaged spare copies of boxes (some of which a seller just sent me as free extras because he wasn't going to do anything with them besides throw them away... they were unsellable, being incomplete or empty in addition to being damaged). Anyway, fast-forward to last week-end, when I figured I would turn these boxes into nice frames to put up on the staircase going down to my man-cave:

594096389_95ac577af60e11ea9fbcf23c91aea81f_image_jpg1.thumb.jpg.7ce667873194e0ed97894f2af7bbad1f.jpg

Man, I always loved the RQ3 cover. I still remember when I first saw the deluxe box set in a store in the 80's. It jumped right into my hands.

• Like 1

Lodabdul would have had plenty of time if he had just spent five minutes searching for this previous post of mine from a few months ago:

The RQ1 rulebook was just a single printing, stapled with original Wyrm logo (1978).

The RQ2 Rulebook was indivdually sold in the following formats:

• Color cover, stapled with original Wyrm logo (1979).
  • Color cover, perfect bound in both original Wyrm logo (1980) and Chaosium Dragon logo (1981).
  • Color cover dust jacket for leatherette binding (Reston Publishing) with original Warm logo (1981).
  • Games Workshop perfect bound version with GW logos and alternative cover.

The RQ2 Boxed set was sold in the following formats, starting in October of 1980:

• 2" Box with Chaosium Dragon logo (1980), perfect bound rulebook with brown monochrome cover. Errata on separate sheet of paper. Box has "$26 value" logo. Box does NOT have "4001-X" product number on it. Has Fall - Winter 1980 product catalog included.
  • 2" Box with Chaosium Dragon logo (1981), perfect bound rulebook with green monochrome cover. Errata on separate sheet of paper.  Box has "$26 value" logo. Box has "4001-X" product number on it.
  • 2" Box with Chaosium Dragon logo (1982), perfect bound rulebook with red monochrome cover. Errata on inside front and back cover. Box logo only says "Everything needed to play!". Box has "4001-X" product number on it.
  • 1" Box with Chaosium Dragon logo (1983), perfect bound rulebook with color cover with Chaosium Dragon logo. Errata on inside front and back cover. Box logo removed. Box has "4001-X" product number on it.
  • 2" Box Games Workshop version with GW logos and alternative cover with perfect bound rulebook.

For RuneQuest Classic we redid the RQ1 rulebook as a perfect bound softcover book (upper left), soon to be available via POD. We also did the Leatherette with dust jacket (right side), and a regular hardcover (center). Very soon we will also have it available in perfect bound softcover via POD (lower left).

RQ-classic-rulebooks.jpg

Edited by Rick Meints
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

1 hour ago, DreadDomain said:

I came across some damaged spare copies of boxes (some of which a seller just sent me as free extras because he wasn't going to do anything with them besides throw them away... they were unsellable, being incomplete or empty in addition to being damaged). Anyway, fast-forward to last week-end, when I figured I would turn these boxes into nice frames to put up on the staircase going down to my man-cave:

I now know where where I can send any badly damaged boxes I come across. Well done!

• Like 3

Hope that Helps,

28 minutes ago, Rick Meints said:

Lodabdul would have had plenty of time if he had just spent five minutes searching for this previous post of mine from a few months ago

I wasn't aware of that post, thanks for the info :)    I might update the RPGGeek database, I don't think they have all those editions listed (I wrote my post quickly only from memory... apologies for making you do the work!)

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

On 9/17/2020 at 8:25 PM, jajagappa said:

From an event standpoint, RQ2/3 Apple Lane happens in 1614 (after Starbrow's Rebellion), RQG in late 1625.  You can determine by the age of Brightflower: 13 in RQ2/3 scenario, 24 in the RQG book.

My fault for confusion -- somehow the sense that "classic titles" meant "for the RQ2 reprint" and not "updated for RQ:RiG" slipped my mind.

2 hours ago, Baron Wulfraed said:

My fault for confusion -- somehow the sense that "classic titles" meant "for the RQ2 reprint" and not "updated for RQ:RiG" slipped my mind.

Classic titles does mean the RQ2 reprint, and they are not updated for RQG (but relatively easy to use together since RQG is built off of RQ2).  You could certainly mix and match pieces if desired.

Overall, the timeframes for RQ2/3 works is roughly 1614 (Apple Lane) to 1621 (The Cradle).  The HQ line of works is roughly 1618 (Sartar books) to 1624 (the 11 Lights campaign covers the whole timeframe).  RQG bumps us up to 1625+.

Edited by jajagappa

14 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

Classic titles does mean the RQ2 reprint ...

Well... there's Classic and then there's classic, you see.  One of 'em will specifically refer to the Kickstart'ed RQ-reprint editions (or the 4 vol's of Moon  Design's), but it's also perfectly valid to discuss "classic RQ campaigns & adventures like in River of Cradles" (which of course is NOT a Classic title, despite being a classic title... ) .

I mean... I know you realize all this, obviously.  But there's plenty of newbies who can easily get confused about what is being meant; and even the grognards must be occasionally be excused for using a word in its original English sense, instead of the jargon of RQ-grognardism.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

2 hours ago, lordabdul said:

I wonder why Chaosium is re-issuing the RQ2 classic resource pack in a collected edition, when they had them as separate booklets since the RQ2 Kickstarter. Is it not practical to do POD with low page counts?

Usually we sell things in the format and package that we we think will sell best. Consider this: If we did them as 5 separate items we would have to pay for printing 5 covers instead of one, and pay for increased binding costs. If you would prefer we charge say $8 each for them, so you could pay $40 for them instead of $25 for all five in a single book, which do you think would sell better? Which do you think would earn us more money?

• Like 2

Hope that Helps,

On 9/17/2020 at 4:30 AM, DreadDomain said:

... I fail to see why there is no point to make GoG available but Cults of Prax is ...

CoP was already funded via the RQ Classic KS, and had a commitment from Chaosium.  It was a "Done Deal."

The RQ3-era GoG has no such funding.

Much more significantly, though:  starting a project now would certainly produce the RQ3 GoG book *AFTER* the RQG "CoG / GaGoG / whatever-it's-called" came out.

If there's ever a RQ3-reprint KS, the way there was for RQ2, then I expect the RQ3 supplements will be stretch goals, the way they were for the RQ2 Classic KS project.

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 9/17/2020 at 4:24 AM, Rick Meints said:

Quite the stack...

Side note: At the beginning if the video I used the original William Church maps created for the RQ2 rulebook. You might notice that a lot of the letters on the map have a yellowing to them because they were pasted on. The smaller names were put on with letraset letters.

New-POD1.jpg

I love the softcover format. They look like the late '80s softcover reprints of old CoC boxed sets! An artifact from an alternate history where AH RQ3 never happens and Chaosium reprints RQ2 titles around 1989...

I would love to have these in fresh, clean editions as my originals of many have reached the point of disintegration, not to mention the horror of my teenage friends (and maybe myself ) having written notes in the margins 😮......and Trollpak is long lost 🙁. However, the cost of getting any print material shipped from the US is prohibitive and I have only bought hard copy material that is available through local distributors. It is wonderful having pdf copies available directly from Chaosium but there's no substitute for the real thing.

Rick, I'm not sure how it works, but is it feasible to have POD products delivered through local fulfilment companies, like Aetherworks who I believe are responsible for Chaosium distribution here in Australia? I realise that I probably have a weak understanding of the shipping and fulfilment arrangements but was wondering how international customers might be able to access these reprints affordably.

Thanks,

Brent.

On 9/16/2020 at 9:29 PM, SilverSeraph said:

Looks so nice.  All but 5 or 6 look big enough to make a good HC book.  Could saddle stitch also possibly be an option for the ones that were originally in that format?  I.e. Cults of Prax, Cults of Terror etc.  That's such a good format for the gaming table because they lay flat more easily.

At any rate, thanks so much for this.  Really looking forward to them.

I would echo this. Saddle stitch would be preferable for most of these, esp. Snakepipe and Plunder. But totally not complaining, I assume it’s a POD limitation and it is what it is. Super grateful to have these! I never owned 80% of these and could never afford them, so super stoked!

Also, thanks for Gateway Bestiary and RQ1, which were not promised by the Kickstarter, IIRC. Bonus!

On 9/16/2020 at 5:09 PM, Rick Meints said:

That just leaves Sun CountyStrangers in Prax, Shadows on the BorderlandDorastor, and Lords of Terror. We might reprint the first three, and maybe do the last two as a combo reprint, but I haven't spent any time thinking about that. I would like to get the Troubled Waters scenario from River of Cradles reprinted, but I wouldn't reprint the rest of the book since Pavis and Big Rubble are both available again.

I would spring for these if you do them, Rick. Also, Dragon Pass. 😇

18 minutes ago, Falconer said:

I would echo this. Saddle stitch would be preferable for most of these, esp. Snakepipe and Plunder. But totally not complaining, I assume it’s a POD limitation and it is what it is. Super grateful to have these! I never owned 80% of these and could never afford them, so super stoked!

Also, thanks for Gateway Bestiary and RQ1, which were not promised by the Kickstarter, IIRC. Bonus!

I would spring for these if you do them, Rick. Also, Dragon Pass. 😇

RQ1 was part of the kick starter, Gateway Bestiary was not. I guess I need to go purchase that PDF (or did I miss a kick starter update or something?).

I wish FOES was available also, actually what I REALLY wish was available was the program used to generate the stats for FOES...