These RuneQuest Classic titles will soon be available POD...

MOB

3 hours ago, Falconer said:

I would echo this. Saddle stitch would be preferable for most of these, esp. Snakepipe and Plunder. But totally not complaining, I assume it’s a POD limitation and it is what it is. Super grateful to have these! I never owned 80% of these and could never afford them, so super stoked!

Lulu restricts to 48 pages or less for saddle-stitched.

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

14 hours ago, Falconer said:

I would echo this. Saddle stitch would be preferable for most of these, esp. Snakepipe and Plunder. But totally not complaining, I assume it’s a POD limitation and it is what it is. Super grateful to have these! I never owned 80% of these and could never afford them, so super stoked!

Also, thanks for Gateway Bestiary and RQ1, which were not promised by the Kickstarter, IIRC. Bonus!

I would spring for these if you do them, Rick. Also, Dragon Pass. 😇

I was fortunate to score an affordable copy of the Chaosium Dragon Pass in good condition earlier this year. We're setting up to play it soon. Fascinating to see how much of the Hero Wars material was already fully realised at that early stage.

Top of my totally unrealistic fantasy wish list is Nomad Gods, or even better, an English issue of Les Dieux Nomades. It's been fantastic to have the pdf of the rulebook available but it would be great to have it in playable format (although it technically would be possible on Vassal).

Brent.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ffilz said:

I wish FOES was available also, actually what I REALLY wish was available was the program used to generate the stats for FOES...

I have spoken with David Forthoffer about the program and he is seeing if he still has it, or at least the code for it. Reprinting Foes is way down on our priority list. 

• Like 3

Hope that Helps,

16 hours ago, Falconer said:

Also, thanks for Gateway Bestiary and RQ1, which were not promised by the Kickstarter, IIRC. Bonus!

I would spring for these if you do them, Rick. Also, Dragon Pass.

Setting up POD is being done for a number of reasons, not just for the RQ Classic Kickstarter. A number of older Chaosium titles are going to be available via POD. The Gateway Bestiary came out because a super-generous fan and friend recreated it for us. Yes, he scanned in, OCR'd, cleaned up and re-laid it out and then surprised us with it.

I've spoken about Dragon Pass, the war-game before, but will say it again. Reprinting it would take a lot of effort, and cost a lot to actually print, especially if it was boxed. I will restate the maxim Chaosium used when they discontinued doing wargames: They take twice the effort and sell half as well". I will add to that the additional maxim of "If you want the game you can buy it on eBay".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hope that Helps,

1 hour ago, Rick Meints said:

I've spoken about Dragon Pass, the war-game before, but will say it again. Reprinting it would take a lot of effort, and cost a lot to actually print, especially if it was boxed. I will restate the maxim Chaosium used when they discontinued doing wargames: They take twice the effort and sell half as well". I will add to that the additional maxim of "If you want the game you can buy it on eBay".

I love having the Nomad Gods rulebook in your clean, searchable PDF edition. Have you considered reproducing the WB&RM rulebook in that format? Not the whole game (counters, board and all), just the rulebook?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nick Brooke said:

I love having the Nomad Gods rulebook in your clean, searchable PDF edition. Have you considered reproducing the WB&RM rulebook in that format? Not the whole game (counters, board and all), just the rulebook?

Which WB&RM edition would you like, Nick?

• Like 1

Hope that Helps,

Just now, Rick Meints said:

Which WB&RM edition would you like, Nick?

Whichever would look best. I'm not intimately familiar with different editions: TBH, I only own the Avalon Hill version of Dragon Pass. But Chaosium's Nomad Gods rulebook is so lovely and quirky (with the page colours varying for different kinds of spirits, and the way the typed text meanders between mythology and rules), I kinda hoped WB&RM would look similar. Maybe I'm mistaken.

1 hour ago, Nick Brooke said:

Whichever would look best. I'm not intimately familiar with different editions: TBH, I only own the Avalon Hill version of Dragon Pass. But Chaosium's Nomad Gods rulebook is so lovely and quirky (with the page colours varying for different kinds of spirits, and the way the typed text meanders between mythology and rules), I kinda hoped WB&RM would look similar. Maybe I'm mistaken.

Any ONE of these of interest? 

WBRM-DP-editions.jpg

Edited by Rick Meints
  • Like 5

Hope that Helps,

Looking forward to these a lot. Thanks again, Rick, for making it happen. I've been wanting a physical copy of the GC Pavis & Big Rubble for a while, and it looks like these RQ2 reprints will be perfect for armchair reading. I hope the POD process proves to be financially satisfying, as well as making some fans happy. :)

I've been wondering, as you share pictures of your collection - do you have a favorite item? Is it even possible for you to name just one? :D I imagine it's a little like asking a bibliophile what their favorite book is...

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

3 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

The Gateway Bestiary came out because a super-generous fan and friend recreated it for us. Yes, he scanned in, OCR'd, cleaned up and re-laid it out and then surprised us with it.

Thank you very much, whoever did that!

WBRM-DP-editions-yes-please.thumb.jpg.dbbab4770bd4c4ad59a58f0a14caf1b6.jpg

Rick, a PDF of the first edition rulebook would be super-rad! I’ve always felt like I was missing some Glorantha basics which are taken for granted in RQ. And maybe the Church hex map on RedBubble?

Edited by Falconer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

In "the other place," @scott-martin tells me that for Lore purposes the small white WB&RM booklet would be the one to go for. And as that's the edition that's closest to the Nomad Gods rulebook (which is already available), that's the one I'd most like to see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Crel said:

Looking forward to these a lot. Thanks again, Rick, for making it happen. I've been wanting a physical copy of the GC Pavis & Big Rubble for a while, and it looks like these RQ2 reprints will be perfect for armchair reading. I hope the POD process proves to be financially satisfying, as well as making some fans happy. :)

I've been wondering, as you share pictures of your collection - do you have a favorite item? Is it even possible for you to name just one? :D I imagine it's a little like asking a bibliophile what their favorite book is...

If you mean any one ITEM (sorry for the reflection on the glass) it's probably the original Jaquays painting used for the Griffin Mountain cover. It's labelled as "Harmony at Twilight" and it hangs on my office wall:

griffin-mountain-painting.thumb.jpg.7f2ceed2f8177f6fd63c7cc1541b8f2b.jpg

• Like 8

Hope that Helps,

5 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

I have spoken with David Forthoffer about the program and he is seeing if he still has it, or at least the code for it. Reprinting Foes is way down on our priority list. 

Oh, that would be cool. Understandable that reprinting Foes would not be a priority. A scan WOULD be cool since it would allow printing out a single page to be used at the table and marked up as critters take damage.

Frank

3 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

Now you're just showing off :D      (but keep doing it! it's awesome!)

the original Jaquays painting used for the Griffin Mountain cover

Nice! Now my framed box covers look lame! (although I do have a spare WB&RM map that I will frame next, once I find a wall to put it on).

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

If you mean any one ITEM (sorry for the reflection on the glass) it's probably the original Jaquays painting used for the Griffin Mountain cover. It's labelled as "Harmony at Twilight" and it hangs on my office wall:

Harmony at Twilight?  What's the sequel called? "Adventurer's feast by Moonlight"?

On 9/23/2020 at 2:14 PM, lordabdul said:

Nice! Now my framed box covers look lame! (although I do have a spare WB&RM map that I will frame next, once I find a wall to put it on).

The WB&RM map looks cool when hanging on the wall. This is hanging immediately to the right of the Griffin Mountain painting in my office. It's three hole punched because Greg used to carry it around in a binder with his campaign notes.

1999714622_WBRM-framed-map.thumb.jpg.244241d77b8e2d447f6a78137eef5d20.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Hope that Helps,

42 minutes ago, Rick Meints said:

The WB&RM map looks cool when hanging on the wall. This is hanging immediately to the right of the Griffin Mountain painting in my office. It's three hole punched because Greg used to carry it around in a binder with his campaign notes.

Awesome! What about those corflu'ed areas and added names like Wolf Hills or Donalf Flat?

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

Cool! And thanks for posting a high enough resolution picture that I can add this to my "maps" folder.

On 9/23/2020 at 2:23 PM, Rick Meints said:

Setting up POD is being done for a number of reasons, not just for the RQ Classic Kickstarter. A number of older Chaosium titles are going to be available via POD. The Gateway Bestiary came out because a super-generous fan and friend recreated it for us. Yes, he scanned in, OCR'd, cleaned up and re-laid it out and then surprised us with it.

It's great to have the Gateway Bestiary available via POD. It's among those I'm surely getting (Trollpak, however, is top of the list!) 

7 hours ago, lordabdul said:

Awesome! What about those corflu'ed areas and added names like Wolf Hills or Donalf Flat?

This is Greg's personal RuneQuest campaign map. There are lots of things he added over time, some of which he later removed. There are dozens of these notes, changes, and additions on the map. It was given to me already framed, and I have never taken it out of it to look closer.

• Like 5

Hope that Helps,

• 6 months later...

I play Runequest 3 since the early 90s, in its german WdS Edition. I'd be super happy if I could get the Deluxe Book in POD (even PDF would be great...) I just added some 2nd Edition POD Books to my collection, but having the english Core Rules on my bookshelf would be SO great. (Didn't you publish them on rpgnow in the early 2000s? I didn't know of it back then...

We had been playing DSA (a german P&P RPG) since 1988, but its 2nd Ed. did not satisfy our needs so we went to our local "Fantastic Shop" in Düsseldorf. They recommended us the (then) new german edition of Runequest and "anything Chaosium" so we bought RQ, Pendragon and Call of Cthulhu (its rulebook was as thin like a todays Quickstart... I still have those books 😉 ). My GM and other players switched to 2nd ed. AD&D in 1993 and a some point I was the only one interested in D100 gaming, so I started playing AD&D too... But I kept my whole collection of Chaosium stuff (and updated to Mongoose RQ and Mythras later, but we never played it regularly. Even the new Call of Cthulhu didn't help.) Now the Stars are Right 😄 A new german edition of RQG is on its way and my spouse and a friend of mine (who is an archeologist) are interested in trying it out and give RQ a chance... I am exited 🙂 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Mhinas said:

I play Runequest 3 since the early 90s, in its german WdS Edition. I'd be super happy if I could get the Deluxe Book in POD (even PDF would be great...) I just added some 2nd Edition POD Books to my collection, but having the english Core Rules on my bookshelf would be SO great. (Didn't you publish them on rpgnow in the early 2000s? I didn't know of it back then...

Ideally it would be great to have everything we have ever published available as PDF and POD. Unfortunately, that takes time and money and we seldom can justify delaying new projects to focus on old ones. Back in the early 2000s Chaosium did take the RQ3 rulebook, chopped it up into a series of 4 books, and had them on DTRPG in a generic format, but it was a crude effort. Most people today want something far nicer than crude scans that are not searchable, and also want a nice POD version, not a poor photocopy. I wish we had more volunteers to help with such PDF/POD projects, but we seldom find them. It's very rare that someone has a good enough scanner, good OCR software, a good copy of the original to scan, the time, and the skills to use those things to get these sorts of "nice to have" projects done.

• Like 4

Hope that Helps,