These RuneQuest Classic titles will soon be available POD...

MOB

6 hours ago, DreadDomain said:

Edited to ask: I thought the Chaos gods would not feature in Cults of Glorantha. Has that changed?

I don't know what gave you that impression. All the Chaos gods you'd expect are in the manuscript for Cults of Glorantha. I'm pretty sure Jeff has shared the list somewhere... (goes sniffing around) Ah! There you go:

It's from a thread you contributed to, not sure how you missed it.

Edited by Nick Brooke
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Nick Brooke said:

I don't know what gave you that impression. All the Chaos gods you'd expect are in the manuscript for Cults of Glorantha. I'm pretty sure Jeff has shared the list somewhere... (goes sniffing around) Ah! There you go:

It's from a thread you contributed to, not sure how you missed it.

Thanks for the link! Maybe I remember something from even earlier? Maybe I was just confused? And you may be overstating my "contribution" to the thread good sir, (I made a comment to a piece of art on page 17 or something).

In any case, this is good news so thanks for bringing me up to speed!

15 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:
  • Sun County
  • Shadows on the Borderlands
  • Troubled Waters (the mini-campaign from the back of River of Cradles)
  • Strangers in Prax
  • Dorastor

I agree. These are the supplements worth reprinting. Personally, I'd buy Sun County and Strangers in hard copy. For the others I have the originals in good enough condition. I might well get the PDF of Shadows to better run those awesome adventures.

On the other hand, I'd gladly pay for a sturdy RQ3 hardback. I don't play RQ3 anymore, being quite happy with the current edition (RQG), but I gladly go back to reading RQ3 rules, for the sake of comparison, rules tinkering, houseruling and mere idle speculation, just as I do with RQ2. However, while for RQ2 I have the sturdy RQ Classic hardback so that I can leave my fragile originals alone, for RQ3 I have to pick up either the flimsy booklets of the "Deluxe" (?) boxed set, or the 1993 softcover with the weak binding falling apart.

So, if someone manages to find the time to put together a nice and sturdy RQ3 hardback I'll be grateful and buy it.       

• Like 4

Thanks for the clarification on release dates Rick. I assume you mean ordering direct from the Chaosium website? I notice the starter set doesn't seem to be advertised on there at the moment (red book of magic is though). I am ordering from a UK gaming shop so it's interesting their estimated date is late September when it could be much later. I will keep a close eye on it and if this is the case I will consider cancelling and ordering direct from Chaosium if it means getting the set much sooner in the UK. Thanks again. 

6 minutes ago, davey68uk said:

Thanks for the clarification on release dates Rick. I assume you mean ordering direct from the Chaosium website? I notice the starter set doesn't seem to be advertised on there at the moment...

They don't put product on their web site until it is actually available. The starter set will be released in PDF and physical box at the same time when the boxes are in and ready to ship from a sufficient number of locations. Chaosium generally prefer to have it available everywhere before selling it, but the current shipping problems meant that Australian customers had to wait for physical RBoM. This might happen again.

1 hour ago, davey68uk said:

Thanks Phil. Sounds very much like I need to wait for it to appear on the Chaosium website. Based on Ricks comments I'll likely get it (physical box set) quicker if I order direct rather than wait for my gaming store to get stock. 

As you have surmised, we do not take pre-orders on products on the Chaosium.com website. The Starter set has been printed and is currently being shipped to all 5 of our warehouses. We'll announce its availability via our Ab Chaos newsletter. You can subscribe to it via our website. Ab Chaos comes out about once a week.

• Thanks 3

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

On 8/11/2021 at 6:11 PM, smiorgan said:

On the other hand, I'd gladly pay for a sturdy RQ3 hardback. I don't play RQ3 anymore, being quite happy with the current edition (RQG), but I gladly go back to reading RQ3 rules, for the sake of comparison, rules tinkering, houseruling and mere idle speculation, just as I do with RQ2. However, while for RQ2 I have the sturdy RQ Classic hardback so that I can leave my fragile originals alone, for RQ3 I have to pick up either the flimsy booklets of the "Deluxe" (?) boxed set, or the 1993 softcover with the weak binding falling apart.

So, if someone manages to find the time to put together a nice and sturdy RQ3 hardback I'll be grateful and buy it.

I am pretty much the same. There are still a few bits and pieces I prefer from RQ3, and they are too minor to bother with, but there are a lot more bits from RQG that I prefer over previous editions. Having said that, I love going back to RQ3 rules if only to read, to reference but also to pick an aspect here and there. You see, RQ3 is not my first RPG but it's the one that locked me into the hobby and it's also the one that locked me into Glorantha. Without it, I might not be here.

To be honest, all the stuff discussed here as potential reprints, I have on my bookshelves. Still I would buy them again (and benefit from the the PDF as a bonus). Like I bought the RQ2 reprints even if I have the Gloranthan Classics.

Anyway, I'll let it rest while Chaosium assesses what makes more sense.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 8/10/2021 at 5:01 PM, Rick Meints said:

If someone has an interest in working on RuneQuest Classics and similar, please feel free to message me. The main skill needed is use of InDesign. As for putting any RQ3 titles through the JC as fan projects, that isn't going to happen. Please note that we are willing to pay for people to do layout.

I would be extremely interested in seeing the re-issuance of Runequest Cities and would be willing to work, gratis, on such a project.  It is, perhaps, the most useful and interesting sourcebook and most used sourcebook i have ever owned and have used it to map any fantasy cities I have needed for any system.

15 hours ago, wombat1 said:

I would be extremely interested in seeing the re-issuance of Runequest Cities and would be willing to work, gratis, on such a project.  It is, perhaps, the most useful and interesting sourcebook and most used sourcebook i have ever owned and have used it to map any fantasy cities I have needed for any system.

Not going to happen, as this was a licensed product from Midkemia press.

You ccan still order the 1980ies original as pdf directly..

Edited by Joerg

Telling how it is excessive verbis

• 10 months later...

For anyone who doesn't know, the complete text of Strangers in Prax was pulled from pdfs, and corrected and triple-checked. The images too. All done by a worthy team of volunteers in early/mid 2022. A LOT of work, but worth every moment. I would still be more than happy to continue that project and also co-ordinate getting SiP laid out in a ready for print product as a gift to Chaosium just cos I loved that supplement so much.

I'd recommend adding a new appendix of the main protagonists simplified down into RQG, and new suggestions for tactics etc. This would be totally possible to do, even with the sorcerers. (All that needs to be done is write about what the spell effects are and how often they can be cast, and how much they cost. Because the sorcerers are all GMCs, so as long as they are consistent that's all that's needed.) So yeh, basically what do the sorcerers do, and when. Here's what the effect is and here's what it costs them. Anyway, up for it, as and when Chaosium want

Edited by Ian A. Thomson
  • Like 6

------------------------------------

Former Issaries Inc. 'Pavis Expert'

Some of my creations and co-creations: https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/browse?keyword=Ian Thomson