redmoongoddess

Who's the lord of the county of Dorset circa 491?

As the title says.

For context, I'm running an adventure (that spans over a few in-game years) where the lord of Dorset is accused by Roderick of letting a band of Saxton raiders pass through there without harm, so they could invade the county of Salisbury, and steal the babies of an obscure village, that's conveniently the home of the PK (this is a solo campaign).

(Why did they do that? It's a long story, so short version: they were cursed by an Pict witch into being unable to have any children, and thought that the village was where the witch was hiding out, so they raided it and managed to steal the babies, but not find the witch since she was elsewhere.)

Did the lord actually let them through? I don't know if the lord did, but someone high ranking in the county did. But first, I'd need to know who the lord was and if there's any info about him that I could pull from. Thanks in advance!

According to the Book of Estate, you have in 485

• Sir Kynon, Baron of Meadowstream (Dorsette)
  • Sir Tegwared, Baron of WeirstreamT (Dorsette)

In 531, you have the Praetor (duke) Jonathel of Dorsette. It could be his father too.

1 hour ago, Call Me Deacon Blues said:

Praetor Jonathel is mentioned in gpc in 500, I believe. So presumably he became Praetor after St. Albans. Though I could be wrong, isn't a Praetor a Roman city authority? I think he's just in charge of Dorchester, though I could be wrong. 

The issue is that GPC had 'county nobles', each noble in charge of their own county. Dorset is ruled by a Praetor (not an earl) in 4e, which is also where Jonathel comes from. In my own headcanon, Jonathel takes over Dorchester and then unifies whole of Dorset under his rule to ride out the Anarchy, similarly to what happens in Salisbury.

I don't know why, but I have this name, Robustus or something like that, in my mind... In Uther, Sir Gyddno is named as the Sheriff of Dorsette, with the county castle at Durnovaria (Dorchester). And of course there is also Mesalla, the Bishop of Durnovaria.

2 hours ago, Tizun Thane said:

Sir Kynon, Baron of Meadowstream (Dorsette)

This is Wimborne in Dorset, close to Avon River. It would make sense that the Saxons would use the river to row up rather than walk, so this would make Sir Kynon a better candidate than Sir Tegwared (Wareham).

On 9/15/2020 at 3:23 AM, Tizun Thane said:

According to the Book of Estate, you have in 485

• Sir Kynon, Baron of Meadowstream (Dorsette)
  • Sir Tegwared, Baron of WeirstreamT (Dorsette)

In 531, you have the Praetor (duke) Jonathel of Dorsette. It could be his father too.

TY!

On 9/15/2020 at 6:03 AM, Morien said:

The issue is that GPC had 'county nobles', each noble in charge of their own county. Dorset is ruled by a Praetor (not an earl) in 4e, which is also where Jonathel comes from. In my own headcanon, Jonathel takes over Dorchester and then unifies whole of Dorset under his rule to ride out the Anarchy, similarly to what happens in Salisbury.

I don't know why, but I have this name, Robustus or something like that, in my mind... In Uther, Sir Gyddno is named as the Sheriff of Dorsette, with the county castle at Durnovaria (Dorchester). And of course there is also Mesalla, the Bishop of Durnovaria.

I prefer to use County Nobles in this era since IMHO I feel the alternative can become too complicated for players who don't enjoy the politics part of Pendragon. (Also this is a solo campaign btw, and every session is only 2 hours long, so I can't go into too much detail with this sorta stuff or we'll never get anywhere in the story.)

Excuse me for my ignorance, but I assume the Praetor rule came later in the timeline, while right now Dorsette is ruled by just another Earl. However, apparently there's a split between two barons? I can't decide if I want there to be an conflict of territory between those two npcs or an Romaboo who considers himself to be the self-proclaimed Praetor, something that everyone else considers to be pretentious as shit.

2 hours ago, redmoongoddess said:

I prefer to use County Nobles in this era since IMHO I feel the alternative can become too complicated for players who don't enjoy the politics part of Pendragon. (Also this is a solo campaign btw, and every session is only 2 hours long, so I can't go into too much detail with this sorta stuff or we'll never get anywhere in the story.)

In that case, ignore the two barons and just have the Praetor ruling Dorset, as in 4e and implied in GPC.

2 hours ago, redmoongoddess said:

Excuse me for my ignorance, but I assume the Praetor rule came later in the timeline, while right now Dorsette is ruled by just another Earl. However, apparently there's a split between two barons? I can't decide if I want there to be an conflict of territory between those two npcs or an Romaboo who considers himself to be the self-proclaimed Praetor, something that everyone else considers to be pretentious as shit.

Praetor Jonathel is mentioned in Year 500 of GPC, and "Praetor Dorset" is mentioned as one member of the Supreme Collegium in 485 (BoU changed the Logres Supreme Collegium members into churchmen, so this position went to the Bishop of Dorchester instead). Given that Praetor is a Roman title and Dorchester is a Roman civitas/city, it is easier to take this as survival of the Roman titles and customs rather than something resurrected a century after the Roman Empire left.