Fioracitta - Coming Soon...

lawrence.whitaker

3 hours ago, Raleel said:

i noticed it was misformatted a bit in the newsletter. nothing that a knowledgeable person cannot decipher, but a thing none the less if you aren't a computer person.

Likely mangled by the Mailchimp algorithm. I checked the Drivethru link, and the address is correct, but Mailchimp adds some additional coding I think.

• Like 2

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

No questions at the moment (the supplement is well written and structured, and my only question was already answered on the official Errata thread).
What I like is the storytelling through illustrations. If you're reading the "book" (PDF) from cover to cover, then you can follow the story of  a group of Avventurieri (group of adventurers). This reminds me of the Anathym's Saga illustrations from the Core Rule Book .

Edited by Prinz Slasar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Prinz Slasar said:

No questions at the moment (the supplement is well written and structured, and my only question was already answered on the official Errata thread).
What I like is the storytelling through illustrations. If you're reading the "book" (PDF) from cover to cover, then you can follow the story of  a group of Avventurieri (group of adventurers). This reminds me of the Anathym's Saga illustrations from the Core Rule Book .

Look closely at The Lady. Does she remind you of anyone? 

• Like 2

Google has been a boon to me during the writing of this book.

Quite out of sheer laziness, while looking for the floor plans of a famous house of ill repute in Fioracitta, I googled "Italian mediaeval brothel floor plan" for inspiration.

Pages and pages of source material later ...

I didn't get to put it into the sourcebook. But I owe you an adventure module ...

Edited by Alex Greene
  • Like 2

Author of Fioracitta for Mythras and the 2d6 SFRPG setting of Castrobancla.

12 minutes ago, Alex Greene said:

Google has been a boon to me during the writing of this book.

Quite out of sheer laziness, while looking for the floor plans of a famous house of ill repute in Fioracitta, I googled "Italian mediaeval brothel floor plan" for inspiration.

Pages and pages of source material later ...

I didn't get to put it into the sourcebook. But I owe you an adventure module ...

A book just isn’t complete unless it includes the description of a brothel.

• Like 2

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

Since you've mentioned the famous brothel:
Regardless of the fact that Fioracitta is a city from a Renaissance era, it is extremely progressive in terms of LGBTQ and open-minded. In this respect, it reminds me strongly of such "counter culture" places like Cadsandria or Jerry Cornelius novels (both Michael Moorcock).
Gender is fluid. Weddings between same-sex couples are allowed  and it's not a problem to see Ophidians, sometimes dressed like a woman and sometimes like a man, and other stuff.

Fioracitta is full of lust, dandyism and eccentricity.
It's even in the details - e.g. the rule for inspiring fashion trends.

Edited by Prinz Slasar
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Prinz Slasar said:

Since you've mentioned the famous brothel:
Regardless of the fact that Fioracitta is a city from a Renaissance era, it is extremely progressive in terms of LGBTQ and open-minded. In this respect, it reminds me strongly of such "counter culture" places like Cadsandria or Jerry Cornelius novels (both Michael Moorcock).
Gender is fluid. Weddings between same-sex couples are allowed  and it's not a problem to see Ophidians, sometimes dressed like a woman and sometimes like a man, and other stuff.

Fioracitta is full of lust, dandyism and eccentricity.
It's even in the details - e.g. the rule for inspiring fashion trends.

I've had some fantastic roleplaying scenarios based around creating fashion trends: that time the Straw Dogs mercenary band went shopping for banquet clothes in Milan in a Hawkmoon campaign; an outrageous fashion designer based around Jean Paul Gaultier creating the ultimate wedding dress in a Lyonesse playtest; the shopping montage when my Horror on the Orient Express characters had to buy new clobber in Zagreb...

You can have a lot of fun with Fashion.

• Like 2

A personal conclusion: This supplement has some kind of an "Eberron vibe" and is the first Mythras supplement where a setting and complex (!) society is described as truly embedded in magic. 
It's nice to see that not only Folk Magic can be seen as "Common Magic" (in the wider sense), but the other magic disciplines as well. Without losing the obscurity of magic itself.
Each of the magic disciplines forms a sub-culture in the city which is a parallel world of magic, illusion and dark secrets.

My first association is Eberron, where magic is not powerful but everywhere; interwoven with the mundane. Magic is prevalent but it is not that overpowered. The important difference to Eberron is, that in Fioracitta the magic keeps its mystery, and is connected with morale and ethics, so you can always go the Dark path and become corrupt.

Fioracitta is Renaissance Urban Fantasy, but it's more Harry Potter than Harry Dresden.

Edited by Prinz Slasar
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alex Greene said:

That would be interesting to do. What would you like?

Good question and off the cuff:

A little bestiary for wondrous creatures in and around Fioracitta.

More Infos (or secrets) about Lake Lascha and/or Lake Ippalia. The supplement gives some teasers.

Maybe some NPCs regarding the mentioned important organizations.

Further secrets of Fioracitta (e.g. sinister ones, about the old cults, the underground levels of the city...)

Additional magic items or wondrous things similar to the great ones we already have in the supplement.

Give us more about this awesome city.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Prinz Slasar said:

Good question and off the cuff:

A little bestiary for wondrous creatures in and around Fioracitta.

More Infos (or secrets) about Lake Lascha and/or Lake Ippalia. The supplement gives some teasers.

Maybe some NPCs regarding the mentioned important organizations.

Further secrets of Fioracitta (e.g. sinister ones, about the old cults, the underground levels of the city...)

Additional magic items or wondrous things similar to the great ones we already have in the supplement.

Give us more about this awesome city.

Lake Ippalia does have many secrets. is it truly the birthplace of the Longane? The Otter People will aver to that with their last breath. Lake Lascha, too, has her secrets. Both those lakes are connected by the Longane, so they could go together.

The characters could be faced with an adventure which requires them to wander. Where will they go?

There is a whole underground down below the streets. Hidden temples, sewers, aqueducts, cellars full of conspirators, hidden and secret tunnels, and tombs. There are a few above-ground abandoned places, too. Delving into those means delving into the history of the city.

As for the magic items and wondrous things, that would have to tie in with the book, to show their histories, their impact on culture and economics, and so on. They'd not just be there for the sake of it - anyone can do something like put a permanent Bladesharp on a sword. But a sword owned by a historical character, which seems to have a shady curse, is another thing altogether.

I'm sure that if there is a high enough demand for expansions, I can talk to Loz about opening a line of short modules and adventures.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Author of Fioracitta for Mythras and the 2d6 SFRPG setting of Castrobancla.

I'm being a little premature, having only skimmed the material, but on the other hand, I'm premature since I've first heard about Fioracitta ... I'd love to see this expanded to a whole line, maybe Fioracitta even becoming a "backdoor setting core book". Really, from what I've read, it seems to be a setting that gets what I love about the best recent fantasy.

From my first look at Fioracitta, I think we could sure do with a decidated bestiary - I love bestiaries, and would be interested in what kind of beasties would be considered appropriate to the setting.

• Like 2