Tales of Sun Country.

Aprewett

Hello, Does the term Militia suit this module, unless it means something different in the setting? When I read the title I am thinking the standard Earth model of this unit. But the book seems to portray them as full time police. Unless I missed something! Not a real problem, it was just putting me in a different mindset as to the PC’s being full time farmers etc and part time police/military, training once a week/month and called up in emergencies.

2 hours ago, Aprewett said:

Hello, Does the term Militia suit this module, unless it means something different in the setting? When I read the title I am thinking the standard Earth model of this unit. But the book seems to portray them as full time police. Unless I missed something! Not a real problem, it was just putting me in a different mindset as to the PC’s being full time farmers etc and part time police/military, training once a week/month and called up in emergencies.

Hi, @Aprewett: I assume you're talking about Tales of the Sun County Militia: Sandheart Volume One on the Jonstown Compendium, my apologies if you meant something else, your post wasn't entirely clear.

The Sandheart militia are as described in that book, unless they vary in your Glorantha. As set out in Tales of the Sun County Militia, the local militia are something of an experiment, sponsored by the Goldbreath dynasty: more professional, with many more "special" recruits and, it seems, longer terms of service. They aren't one of the twelve active militia files detailed in Sun County: the campaign assumes you're serving as full-time militia, though of course Your Glorantha May Vary. (My own Sun County Backgrounds article assumes adventurers may be sent to serve on that remote frontier as a punishment)

The Sun County Militia (other than local units like the Sandheart crew) are more generally described in Sun County pages 42-3, and they serve for just one season every two years (on average), probably via some kind of lottery or rota system overseen by the Sun Dome Temple. But the idea of writing nine farmer scenarios for every militia scenario is rather daunting, and I guess that's why Jon @Incendiary Pig  went with the Sandheart model. Feel free to make any changes you like to improve your own campaign!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Aprewett said:

Does the term Militia suit this module, unless it means something different in the setting? When I read the title I am thinking the standard Earth model of this unit.

Standard earth model of militia in what time period and culture?

7 hours ago, Aprewett said:

But the book seems to portray them as full time police.

So who were the "police" is a bronze age society?

This is a great article on Babylonian policing and justice (free signup required):

https://www.academia.edu/4009149/Police_forces_in_first_millennium_BC_Babylonia_and_beyond_in_KASKAL_10_2013_69_87

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/