Camping scenarios and advice

Dear people of good will,

I was asked to prepare a 1-2 sessions scenario for camping with five friends, that happens in a few weeks. It is the first time I am doing this, so I would like to use your vast knowledge and ask for some recommendations/ advice. Firstly, do you know any CoC scenario that could fit particularly well the anticipated atmosphere of sitting around the campfire, in the night, next to a lake and a forest, under the bare sky with a full bloody moon, etcetera etcetera? So far I have looked at the convention scenario "Camp Sunny". Secondly, if you have ever done anything similar, would you have any advice or tricks for sessions like that? I feel that there is a great horror potential in the camping setting that could enhance the roleplaying experience.

As an example of my own ideas, I have a plan of hiding a handout outside of the camping area, forcing some players to leave the campfire (obviously the only source of light) when searching for it.

Edited by Tranquillitas Ordinis

Horror on Buffalo River would be a good fit, though it's only available if you are running convention games.

Otherwise, grab an OS map or trail guide of your camping area and see what's about. Do a little research about the area, chances are there are old ghost stories or legends that you could tap into. Lastly ask your player to prepare their own ghost stories to tell and take turns giving each other the heebie-jeebies 

• Thanks 1

Proof of Life, while not a camping scenario has a lot of important locations and events occur in the woods near the rural town in which it is set. While as written that town is Foxfield, you can easily change this to something more local to where you are. You can find the scenario in New Tales of the Miskatonic Valley.

For similar reasons, it may also be worth looking at Blackwater Creek from the Keeper Screen pack.

• Thanks 1