Hot Drinks of Glorantha

soltakss

39 minutes ago, soltakss said:

I'd be tempted to ignore where it comes from in the real world.

For example, tea could grow anywhere suitable, not just Kralorela, or ginger does not have to come from the East Isles or Teshnos.

Tea is grown in southern Tanisor, following its introduction from either the colony of Eest or from the False Dragon Ring's Kralorela during the rein of the Middle Sea Empire. I suppose it was grown on Jrustela as well, and I see no reason why Umathela would not have adopted tea, too. On the other hand, I doubt that Ralios or Fronela are suitable to grow tea, and I'd be astonished if Ramalia or some other part of western Maniria grows tea. The Archduchy of Slontos may have had some plantations, and tea being a highland plant, it would have been less prone to having been drowned in 1050.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

On 9/30/2020 at 2:44 AM, Jape_Vicho said:

If I'm not mistaken, hot or temperate was the way to go with beer until very recently, and it was mixed with butter and eggs at least in the middle ages. In my Glorantha, beer and wine are surely warm in Sartar, which is objectively horrendous (especially here in Spain)

I’m not sure. Cellar-cold would be common too - there’s no proper refrigeration, but just a dug-in basement can be reasonably cool, and good both for preservation and a cooling draught in Fire Season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

I’m not sure. Cellar-cold would be common too - there’s no proper refrigeration, but just a dug-in basement can be reasonably cool, and good both for preservation and a cooling draught in Fire Season.

It is easy enough to pack a cellar full of ice and keep it cold all summer long. Having Inora or Valind cultists around make it even easier. You could even bind a Darkness Elemental in the cellar to keep it nice and cool.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 10/1/2020 at 12:27 PM, Sir_Godspeed said:

There are also ways to keep liquids reasonably chilled in clays pots, by pouring water on their outside, for example. iirc.

It traditionally was done by using unglazed clay pots, so water from the inside would constantly be percolating through and evaporating from the outside.

Now in a Gloranthan context, if you could keep an air elemental at the task, you could keep a lot of air movement going and in principle get a pretty good chill in summer.

Alternatively at high elevations in Sartar and elsewhere you seem to get real winter.  Ice can be cut and stored in ice cellars. 

• Like 1

Warm Beer.  Bark teas.  Soups.  Wassails.  Warm fruit alcohols. with herbs and spices.  Salep (made from orchid root).  Something similar to an Api Morado?  Spiced Hot milk.  Butter teas (in Prax and Pent).  Mint Tea.  Barley Tea.  Spiced Soy Milk in Kralorela.  Sage Tea.  Ginger based drinks.

Hot drinks make a lot of sense, as boiling water unites the enemies of Fire and Water in a common cause to kill disease spirits according to the Chalana Arroys.  Most medicinal potions are likely served hot when that is possible.

Edited by Darius West
  • Like 3

Chocolate is mentioned in Trollpack. You can get Chocolate Fried Eggs at Thunderbreath Gobbleguts.

Coffee, (as already mentioned) and sugar are both mentioned in CoP, in the Travels of Biturian Varosh. He must really have good trading contacts to source such rarities. 

Drinking hot drinks was a good way of killing the bugs in the water, as was fermenting and brewing it.
Does Glorantha have this problem? Are there minor disease spirits in the water, or are the water spirits strong enough to keep such things away?

The easiest way is to make drinks up!

Aro-Noa, Sacred Drink of the West

Aro-Noa is a popular drink in Seshnela, but its consumption is regulated as part of the caste system.  

Aro-Noa is a colorful bush with beautiful leaves; steeped in hot water, it produces a sweet but also bitter drink that may sometimes induce visions.

The first steeping is only for Zzaburs, who then pass the leaves on to the Talars, who get the second pressing.  Then the soldiers, and then the commoners get the dregs; each stage reduces the taste and the mystical potency of the leaves.  Some wealthy commoners add various spices to the drink or even mix it with booze of various kinds.  This is frowned on, especially when they use the black market to get hold of higher pressings.