Great Hammer

anto0622

A Rule question
In the rules are Great Hammer stated to have 5 HP, do some one know why this is so low, compared to War hammer 10HP and Maul that should be a tool variant of Great hammer but with 12HP.
I can change it but I wonder why it’s so low and the thought behind it?

Did you read the description on page 210?

Hammer, Great: A two-handed hammer, usually with a reinforced haft and a dense wooden head bound in metal. Price: 15 L.

It's basically a croquet mallet with metal strips down the side of handle, and with a tin can covering the head. (Okay, for Glorantha it likely has a copper can wrapping it)

In contrast, the War Hammer and Maul have cast/forged metal heads (or stone as an option for the Maul). The War Hammer is close to a short bec-de-corbin or ice axe, and the Maul is essentially a sledge hammer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_hammer#Design

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Baron Wulfraed said:

Did you read the description on page 210?

It's basically a croquet mallet with metal strips down the side of handle, and with a tin can covering the head. (Okay, for Glorantha it likely has a copper can wrapping it)

In contrast, the War Hammer and Maul have cast/forged metal heads (or stone as an option for the Maul). The War Hammer is close to a short bec-de-corbin or ice axe, and the Maul is essentially a sledge hammer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_hammer#Design

I don’t think you can outright reference the medieval warhammer, which had a super-specific anti-armor purpose. Although I don’t know exactly how a bronze age one would look...

17 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

I don’t think you can outright reference the medieval warhammer, which had a super-specific anti-armor purpose. Although I don’t know exactly how a bronze age one would look...

Still page 210 though

Hammer, War: A weapon based after a hammer, this often has a spike at the impact point rather than a flat head, and is used as a pick instead of a hammer. A nasty weapon, ideal for punching through armor.

The medieval just provides both the pick/spike, and a small flat hammer end (though some may have cross-slots on the flat to produce a multi-point head)

I suspect a bronze-age version is cast, rather than forged.

22 hours ago, Baron Wulfraed said:

A two-handed hammer, usually with a reinforced haft and a dense wooden head bound in metal

Still difficult to justify 5 HP in contrast to a quarterstaff, which has 8 HP.  At least on build alone.

Perhaps it takes into account that it's awkward to parry with?  But I'm not convinced, as then Mauls and war hammers would seem high to me (who has *no* experience, beyond EVA foam swords, which whilst excellent fun are hardly informative!)

• Like 1

On 10/5/2020 at 1:00 PM, Stephen L said:

Still difficult to justify 5 HP in contrast to a quarterstaff, which has 8 HP.  At least on build alone.

Perhaps it takes into account that it's awkward to parry with?  But I'm not convinced, as then Mauls and war hammers would seem high to me (who has *no* experience, beyond EVA foam swords, which whilst excellent fun are hardly informative!)

Ah, a Quarterstaff is 6-8 feet long... so 1.3-1 HP per foot (2m ~= 6.5feet => 1.23 HP per foot). There is no awkward mass distribution creating a weak point just below the head -- and it likely bounces and flexes on impacts.

The Great Hammer is 5 feet long, so 1 HP per foot (equivalent to a long 8ft Quarterstaff). And it likely needs the reinforcements just to keep the head from snapping off -- especially if a parry catches it between the head and the hand grip, as the mass of the head will try to continue its motion.

The Singlestick at 3 feet, gets  1.33 HP per foot, so in a way, it is the more durable weapon of the three. 👹

On 10/4/2020 at 10:52 PM, Akhôrahil said:

Check out Koryvantes web-site for Bronze-Age reproductions of various armour and weapons, including a nasty 'beaked' hammer/war-pick, which looks like it would punch through armour quite easily.

• Like 1