Why don’t Lunar Heroes Create a Glow Spot?

EricW

3 hours ago, Darius West said:

The restriction seems odd.  I mean, the Crimson Bat is the steed of the Red Goddess and she's illuminated...

Maybe's there's some secret regarding the Bat that could be discovered by Illuminates that would be potentially damaging to the cult. The potential to subvert or hijack it or something. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

Maybe's there's some secret regarding the Bat that could be discovered by Illuminates that would be potentially damaging to the cult. The potential to subvert or hijack it or something. 

I think it is much more about being potentially damaging to the Empire.  An illuminate getting control the Bat would be in a great position to start a civil war, and would have no religious restrictions against doing so. 

• Like 2

The Crimson Bat's glow perhaps has a mundane explanation.  As it devours its victims, it is also illuminating them.  Its glow is the souls of its illuminating victims slowly achieving a higher state.  Most Lunar heroes simply don't have the resources on hand to achieve the same effect.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Darius West said:

The restriction seems odd.  I mean, the Crimson Bat is the steed of the Red Goddess and she's illuminated...

It think it makes sense this would be an exception. Illumination provides some protection against detect [motivation] spells. The consequences of traitor turning the bat against the empire in the middle of a key battle could be unthinkably bad for the empire. People entrusted with controlling the bat would surely be subject to continuous extreme scrutiny, they scrutineers wouldn't want anything to interfere with their insight into the loyalty of the bat handlers.

Edited by EricW
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, David Scott said:
21 hours ago, soltakss said:

I thought that had been clarified, that the Extension is stackable but the other spell doesn't have to be.

You're correct, in my mind Temporal and Stackable mix...

I know the feeling. I have RQ2/RQ3/Legend/Mythras in my mind when thinking about RQG and it sometimes gets confusing.

18 hours ago, Darius West said:
On 10/8/2020 at 4:13 PM, soltakss said:

Illuminates are forbidden to join the cult, to prevent them from becoming Priests and gaining control of the Crimson Bat. Of course, they could trade for the spell, given a friendly Issaries Cultist.

The rationale in Cults of Terror was that Illuminates must not be allowed to gain control of the Bat, for fear of what they might do with it.

Maybe the new revelations about the Red Goddess, over the last 40 years, have  tempered that a little, so that "Good Illuminates" are OK.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

The actual text of Cults of Terror is this:

Though not directly mandated by the Goddess, the Red
Emperor has declared that Rune Priests and Rune Lords of the
cult shall not be more than lay members in any other cult.

Cults of Terror p70

PRIMAL CHAOS

The Emperor’s decree against initiation in other cults is largely
based on an understanding of the potential of Chaos. Misuse of its
abilities is frowned upon. No priest or Rune Lord of the Crimson
Bat may have Chaotic features, for if control of the Bat fell into
the hands of a Chaotic, the devastation could be immense.
Philosophically, however, the Emperor allows the individual
to choose. The cult of Primal Chaos is available to Initiates of
the Crimson Bat, but joining the cult will void any chance of an
Initiate’s advancement to Rune level in the Crimson Bat, being
restricted to Initiate forever.

Cults of Terror p74

Being a chaotic <> being an illuminate.

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...