Looking for a new setting

Trifletraxor

Hi guys!

I've been playing in Glorantha for ages, but I'm now looking for a new historic fantasy setting to game in.

Anyone that has any experience with Harn? How are the supplements, and how easy is it to convert? And the feel of the world?

I also had a look on The World of Khaas, Legendary Lands of Arduin - a systemless 800 pages big book with a systemless setting. Anyone who knows anything about this one?

Or any other recommendations?

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

I'm not a Harn expert, have some stuff and have played a little.

Most of the modules are setting descriptions and on the whole systemless. Harn is a gritty and fairly realistic setting, based on Medieval Europe but does include Tolkien elves, dwarves and a rather different version of orcs. The fantastic elements can be ignored without too much trouble if one so desires.

Harnmaster, the rules, is a D100-like system and conversion should be easy.

Hi guys!

I've been playing in Glorantha for ages, but I'm now looking for a new historic fantasy setting to game in.

Or any other recommendations?

SGL.

I was in the same boat about two years ago, so I created my own Bronze Age historical fantasy setting which contained a lot of ideas I've had floating around for a few years. It's been very popular with my group, in part becuase it was built on the shoulders of giants.

One of those giants is The Known World, the setting for Artesia (comic and game). If you can find Artesia: Adventures in the Known World I highly recomment it as a book. The world is wonderfully detailed, consistent, and logical enough to feel historical, and yet it still feels fantastical. I occasionally hear people say that BRP should have been the system for this setting, but I don't know of any actual conversions. The setting is not nearly as well supported as Glornatha, but that's probably a good thing when you're just starting out.

Personally, I find a lot of fantasy settings to be trite, so I avoid most of them. If you liked Glorantha, then I think you would like The Known World, too.

Harn is also a great setting - as Jarulf says it has a very eurocentric Medieval crossed with Iron Age feeling, from what I've seen. It's very well supported on the web.

Good hunting!

Thalaba

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

I still love Glorantha, although I haven't had the opportunity to play it nearly as much as I'd like.

That having been said, I had a friend who tried selling me on Harn. We fiddled around and started a game, but the world seemed very dull and uninspired to me. (To me, IMO.)

Khaas, which I've read about a lot but never seen (the 800-pager is on my wish list), is supposed to be very over-the-top, not "historic" at all. So if that's what you're looking for, I suspect this product isn't for you.

I don't know how much you want from the setting, and how historical you're looking for. I like parts of Basic D&D's Known World, especially Glantri, which is like a fantasy microcosm of Europe. Darokin is great for that kind of thing, too. There's also Warhammer FRP's version of Europe, and there's plenty of material for it. There's also the 2nd Ed AD&D setting books to look at, Charlemagne, the Musketeers one, and I think there was a King Arthur one. Or what about the 7 Seas world?

OTOH, there's already Pendragon, and BRP Rome. Heck, you could even use Judges Guild's Wilderness maps for Greek City-States, if you wanted. Again, depends on what you're looking for from a setting.

Harnworld is the systemless setting books (with perhaps a few exceptions in stat blocks in some books).

Harnmaster is the d100 system. It's pretty crunchy, but convertible if your a BRP veteran. You don't need to buy any Harnmaster stuff if your not interested in the system.

Harnworld is mostly a very detailed take on the island of Harn. There's very little information on the mainland or the rest of the game world for gaming purposes, although you can get a world map with details like currents, wind patterns, tectonics, etc. Information on the other continents and counties of the world is mostly limited to a blurb in a encyclopedia format. This can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how much freedom you want to expand the world. You can of course do a lot of gaming just limiting yourself to the island.

What about the Conan world of Hyperboria? It is roughly based on historical kingdoms and there is tons of stuff out there as well as good artwork and a plethera of adventure ideas. There are even a couple of BRP conversions right here in the downloads.

Have you taken a look at Val-du-Loup?

294/420

Khaas, which I've read about a lot but never seen (the 800-pager is on my wish list), is supposed to be very over-the-top, not "historic" at all. So if that's what you're looking for, I suspect this product isn't for you.

Well, no. I found a review of the book which mentioned that it also had the really cool horses from somewhere with burning hooves... So it's definitely out of the picture.

I don't know how much you want from the setting, and how historical you're looking for. I like parts of Basic D&D's Known World, especially Glantri, which is like a fantasy microcosm of Europe. Darokin is great for that kind of thing, too. There's also Warhammer FRP's version of Europe, and there's plenty of material for it. There's also the 2nd Ed AD&D setting books to look at, Charlemagne, the Musketeers one, and I think there was a King Arthur one. Or what about the 7 Seas world?

OTOH, there's already Pendragon, and BRP Rome. Heck, you could even use Judges Guild's Wilderness maps for Greek City-States, if you wanted. Again, depends on what you're looking for from a setting.

I'm looking for a grim & gritty medieval fantasy setting, so no high-fantasy settings like most D&D settings. Preferably with a loot of support material, and not too tied into a system radically different from BRP.

Harnworld is the systemless setting books (with perhaps a few exceptions in stat blocks in some books).

Harnmaster is the d100 system. It's pretty crunchy, but convertible if your a BRP veteran. You don't need to buy any Harnmaster stuff if your not interested in the system.

After having a closer look, I've deceided to go for Hârn. Startet with ordering HârnWorld and several maps. The support looks excellent, lots of "fanon" and the system is d100. Anyone who's allready tried converting it?

SGL.

I'm looking for a grim & gritty medieval fantasy setting, so no high-fantasy settings like most D&D settings. Preferably with a loot of support material, and not too tied into a system radically different from BRP.

SGL.

What you want is Profetien (The Prophecy), but I have not really fully started on that setting for BRP yet. But it falls into that type of category, and being somewhat distant from other fantasy's.

Tea and Madness

No "high fantasy." Does this mean you're ditching supernatural or folklore elements and going pretty straight historical? ICE's At Rapier's Point has detailed info on 17th century Europe. And despite the era's swashbuckling reputation, things don't get much grimmer and grittier than the Thirty Years' War.

No "high fantasy." Does this mean you're ditching supernatural or folklore elements and going pretty straight historical? ICE's At Rapier's Point has detailed info on 17th century Europe. And despite the era's swashbuckling reputation, things don't get much grimmer and grittier than the Thirty Years' War.

If you are looking for some Swashbuckling, I would also like to add that Flashing Blades has a lot of information on the same time period mentioned above: RPGNow.com - The leading source for indie RPGs And there's no magic. And the system is fairly easy to convert to BRP, since BRP is the underlying mechanic, if you look at the system closely enough.

I've deceided on Hârn. d100 system making it easier to convert, most of the setting material is system-less, the setting is a grim and gritty medieval world, and the support material looks excellent, and it's a lot. Lots of good fan-made stuff too. Looks like a good heir to Glorantha for my part, with all its detail. I've ordered HârnWorld and some maps, and downloaded some OOP stuff to start reading. I'm looking forward to my new setting. Jsut have to finish off the old RuneQuest group. There'll be some high gain high risk scenarios coming up. they'll either die or retire as wealthy powerfull men. :cool:

SGL.

Anyone that has any experience with Harn? How are the supplements, and how easy is it to convert? And the feel of the world?

Harn is a superb setting. The main "civilized" areas on island of Harn are roughly equivalent in tech and society to 11th-12th century England, with "barbarian" tribal areas to the north, as well as (IIRC) one or two Norse-style kingdoms. Highly detailed, but with, I feel, plenty of room for expansion. Two features I particularly like:

• The setting is low-magic by default, leaving the GM to increase it as he wishes. IMO, it's easier to add magic than to remove it from a setting without "breaking things."

• The world of Harn does not advance. The developers stopped the world at, IIRC, the year 700, thus leaving it's future to the GM and players. They'll never cut your campaign out from under you. :)

I prefer Renaissance settings, but I think Harn is a great piece of work. :thumb:

Harn is a superb setting. The main "civilized" areas on island of Harn are roughly equivalent in tech and society to 11th-12th century England, with "barbarian" tribal areas to the north, as well as (IIRC) one or two Norse-style kingdoms. Highly detailed, but with, I feel, plenty of room for expansion. Two features I particularly like:

• The setting is low-magic by default, leaving the GM to increase it as he wishes. IMO, it's easier to add magic than to remove it from a setting without "breaking things."

• The world of Harn does not advance. The developers stopped the world at, IIRC, the year 700, thus leaving it's future to the GM and players. They'll never cut your campaign out from under you. :)

I prefer Renaissance settings, but I think Harn is a great piece of work. :thumb:

Good to hear. It looks very detailed, and I like the "feel" I get from the setting so far. I'm not that happy with the world stopping at year 700 though. Glorantha had something similar, and when you play through several groups, you kindoff end up with a lot of different "futures". I'm having a look at the HarnMaster 3 core rules now, to see how I'll convert the system.

SGL.

I'm not sure there is all that much to convert really, BRP can do a basic Harn pretty much out of the box with the options of your choice.

Magic is completely different to what you find in BRP so you'd need to look at that. Religions and miracles are probably closer (as I recall) but also need some extra love.

Other than that, just creature stats and a few special weapons.

Guest Vile Traveller

ICE's At Rapier's Point has detailed info on 17th century Europe. And despite the era's swashbuckling reputation, things don't get much grimmer and grittier than the Thirty Years' War.

Ooh, ooh, Thirty Years' War?! I once spent quite some time gathering information on that era for a game, but unfortunately no players were interested at the time. I had no idea ICE did this, I'll have to check it out. :D

Ooh, ooh, Thirty Years' War?! I once spent quite some time gathering information on that era for a game, but unfortunately no players were interested at the time. I had no idea ICE did this, I'll have to check it out. :D
Also well worth looking at is TSR's A Mighty Fortress - yes it's for AD&D, but it's none the less an excellent sourcebook for Europe in the sixteenth and seventeenth century.

Cheers,

Nick

I agree. Both At Rapier's Point and A Might Fortress have lots of historical and cultural info that would be valuable for such a campaign. Their mechanics won't convert to BRP, but the professions and classes will help you figure out what sorts of skills and abilities your characters should have. There's little or no magic (and witches tend to have short lifespans), so you won't have to mess with that unless you're interested in a fairy tale sort of game (this was the era when Charles Perrault's classic tales were being compiled). BRP probably already has rules for primitive black powder firearms. The toughest part might be simulating fencing, but Jason Durall is working on a set of fencing rules for his Interplanetary scientific romance game.

Want horror? Werewolves are the monsters de jour, particularly in France, while evil child-snatching hags tend to dominate in England. Werewolves from folklore aren't invulnerable like their movie counterparts, but they don't have to wait for the full moon to do their stuff, either. And there are plenty of ordinary mean, nasty wolves around as well in the wake of the wars. Hags are associated with ancient, isolated groves and pools and may be pagan deities who've fallen on hard times since the advent of Christianity. Fairies aren't noble Tolkeinized, Disneyfied creatures. They're malevolent shape-shifting beings who resent human intrusion, and they're everywhere. Unlike the fantasy games and literature we've become used to, in folklore there aren't hard and fast differences between "good" elves and "bad" elves or between fairies, goblins, dwarves, pookas, etc. And regardless of whether they're gorgeous or hideous, they really are out to get you.

Ars Magica has a lot of great supplements that capture the era. Could be worth looking at, despite the drastic difference in game systems and the obvious high magical elements.

"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking."

~Albert Einstein~

Also well worth looking at is TSR's A Mighty Fortress - yes it's for AD&D

Actually all the 'green book' series of historical settings from TSR were much superior to their trite fantasy books.

They are probably available on eBay.