RuneQuest Classics - now available POD, and 25% off until the end of the year

MOB

As someone who has picked up a (not insignificant) number of these POD books I can say they're absolutely gorgeous. I've only ever owned a few fleeting copies of some of the supplements so I have no direct comparisons to make, but what I've seen is quite good. I'd rather emulate the content and some of the layout and have a searchable PDF than have scanned copies that forego all of that for the sake of semi-fidelity.

There are few things more distracting to my eyes than seeing literal cut-and-paste artifacts, but that's just me.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2020 at 8:42 PM, MOB said:

It was probably asked before but for someone who has the Glorantha Classics on his shelves, is there any reasons to buy these books (aside from completionism)?

Edited by DreadDomain

18 minutes ago, Nick Brooke said:

Ease of handling? 😜

😄 It is in fact the reason why I am considering Trollpak (I have the box from RQ3 and the separate supplements) but for the one listed above, I am not sure what justification I have to spend $150 since I already have the excellent Glorantha Classics.

8 hours ago, DreadDomain said:

It was probably asked before but for someone who has the Glorantha Classics on his shelves, is there any reasons to buy these books (aside from completionism)?

The RuneQuest Companion was not part of the Glorantha Classics line. 

The ease of handling is the main thing, that and the original iconic cover art.

19 minutes ago, jongjom said:

The RuneQuest Companion was not part of the Glorantha Classics line. 

Oops, my bad.

19 minutes ago, jongjom said:

The ease of handling is the main thing, that and the original iconic cover art.

Yeah, ease of handling doesn't really cut it. For the covers, Pavis, Lord of Terror, and maybe Griffin Mountain and Big Rubble could draw me in. Not the rest though.

8 hours ago, DreadDomain said:

😄 It is in fact the reason why I am considering Trollpak (I have the box from RQ3 and the separate supplements) but for the one listed above, I am not sure what justification I have to spend $150 since I already have the excellent Glorantha Classics.

The following books are not part of the Gloranthan Classics: RuneQuest 1 Rulebook, RuneQuest 2 rulebook, Apple Lane, SnakePipe Hollow, TrollPak (only the cults are in the Cult Compendium), the three SoloQuests compiled into the SoloQuest Collection, Gateway Bestiary, RuneQuest Companion, and all of the material in the Old School RuneQuest Collection.  

Edited by Rick Meints
  • Thanks 1

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

I have the PDFs of the Glorantha Classics (and one hardcopy of Borderlands and Beyond). From a layout perspective the POD versions are easier on my eyes (10+ years of layout iteration will do that). The other thing (from a PDF perspective) is that the PDFs are indexed so you have the Table of Contents handy. 

The Glorantha Classics have more artwork  in them than the POD versions, but that was true compared with the originals.

The biggest reason I can think to get these is that they're POD, so if something happens to them you can pick up another copy. You'd be hard pressed to pick up another copy of the Glorantha Classics (anecdotal evidence here. You might be located near an underground bunker full of them.)

Edited by craigm
close paren
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

The following books are not part of the Gloranthan Classics: RuneQuest 1 Rulebook, RuneQuest 2 rulebook, Apple Lane, SnakePipe Hollow, TrollPak (only the cults are in the Cult Compendium), the three SoloQuests compiled into the SoloQuest Collection, Gateway Bestiary, RuneQuest Companion, and all of the material in the Old School RuneQuest Collection.  

Thanks, thats very helpful. Of this list only Trollpak inteterests me really (but I may be missing a SoloQuest so I may also go for it).

3 hours ago, craigm said:

I have the PDFs of the Glorantha Classics (and one hardcopy of Borderlands and Beyond). From a layout perspective the POD versions are easier on my eyes (10+ years of layout iteration will do that). The other thing (from a PDF perspective) is that the PDFs are indexed so you have the Table of Contents handy. 

The Glorantha Classics have more artwork  in them than the POD versions, but that was true compared with the originals.

That is another point, I believe the Glorantha Classics look nicer.

3 hours ago, craigm said:

The biggest reason I can think to get these is that they're POD, so if something happens to them you can pick up another copy. You'd be hard pressed to pick up another copy of the Glorantha Classics (anecdotal evidence here. You might be located near an underground bunker full of them.)

And that is also a reason to wait to buy them until I really need them. I have been looking hard for a reason to buy them now while they are discounted but alas, can't find any good reasons...

Thanks for the help.

10 hours ago, Eddy said:

I know this sounds a bit anal but does anybody know or can estimate the font or fonts used in the early Chaosium products such as Borderlands, Griffin Mountain, Trollpak and even Fungi from Yuggoth. Thanks

I have researched the fonts. It's too complex to make a short answer here. PM me if you have specific questions.

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

On 11/14/2020 at 7:37 AM, DreadDomain said:

Regarding Trollpak: I've did a fast (and not too detailed) comparison between the RuneQuest Classic Trollpak PDF (which is the electronic version of the respective POD) and my RQ3 version of Trollpak and related supplements.

My main impression is, that the RQ3 Trollpak box contains mainly the same information as the RuneQuest Classic Trollpak. The differences I could make out:

• The Sazdorf clan information (history and genealogy) has been moved into the RQ3 supplement The Haunted Ruins.
  • The history in the RQ3 supplment ends in the year 1562, whereas in the RuneQuest Classic Trollpak it goes until 1617 (including the infiltration by Londra and the Wooden Sword).
  • The genealogy in the RuneQuest Classic Trollpak contains some more details.
  • Similar the Sazdorf adventure and the descriptions of the ruins has been moved into the RQ3 supplement The Haunted Ruins.
  • Several of the sections and adventures from the RuneQuest Classic Trollpak have been moved for RQ3 into the supplement Into the Troll Realms (The Caravans, The Moth-Riders, Skyfall Lake, Grubfarm and Flying Trollkin).

So besides getting the information in electronic format it seems, you need the RuneQuest Classic Trollpak POD only, if you want to get the extended history and genealogy of the Sazdorf clan ...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Oracle said:

that the RQ3 Trollpak box contains mainly the same information as the RuneQuest Classic Trollpak.

There was one map from the Sazdorf ruins missing in the original Classic Trollpak books, which finally appeared in the Haunted Ruins.  I don't recall checking to see if it got added when Chaosium republished Trollpak - @Rick Meints can probably comment on that.

2 hours ago, jajagappa said:

There was one map from the Sazdorf ruins missing in the original Classic Trollpak books, which finally appeared in the Haunted Ruins.  I don't recall checking to see if it got added when Chaosium republished Trollpak - @Rick Meints can probably comment on that.

I believe it was the other way around:; in tHR for RQ3, plan was missing for rooms 62 to 77.
Map OK in RQ2 Classic Trollpak page 177.

1 hour ago, 7Tigers said:

I believe it was the other way around:; in tHR for RQ3, plan was missing for rooms 62 to 77.

Yes, you are correct for that set of rooms - had that one backwards.

But tHR also has rooms 87-107, plus the Back Door section 108-129, which are not in original Trollpak, and were not added in the reprint.

• Like 1

Pretty much filled out the collection with Apple Lane, RQ Companion, and Trollpak, which has proven quite useful for a scenario I’m putting together of a long lost 2nd Age Zorak Zoran raiding outpost in Balazar.  May have to get a new copy of Griffin Mountain to preserve the original one I have which is falling to pieces.

Any chance we could see the scenarios mentioned in the prefix of Sea Cave as part of the POD lineup?

Don’t worry, I’m picking up the new stuff as well.  When my local gaming store can get it from their supplier, who doesn’t really seem to have any RQ stuff in stock.  Pegasus Plateau is next on the list, which apparently is in another round of printing per the supplier.

What I like about the old stuff, though, is that the scenarios had a certain flexibility to them that allowed me to slot them into my campaigns where needed.  So Apple Lane could be a small village in far west Balazar closer to Imther and the civilization there.  The Sazdorf holdings could be a barbarian complex in the Troll Hills.  Duck Tower and Pond could be parked in marshy areas just north of the Elf Sea (where they’d be forgotten by just about everyone).  Sea Cave is going on the Elf Sea, and who knows where I could put Miskander’s Tower, or Illyssia’s Grove?  Pretty sure the Howling Tower would go in the Gork Hills, though...

On 11/22/2020 at 2:33 AM, lordabdul said:

7Tigers is kinda like the French Joerg

To be fair, that's the first slip I've seen from @jajagappa, and that's a pretty obscure example!

10 minutes ago, Rick Meints said:

There's a chance

Yes please! sgdmlkzdfjfdlkjrehj (excuse me, just wiping the drool from my laptop)

On 11/23/2020 at 3:47 PM, Oracle said:

Is that the same Miskander's Tower, that plays a central part in the Grey Cane scenario from the Pegasus Plateau adventure book?

My local gaming store just got my copy of Pegasus Plateau, so maybe some spoilers in this discussion for those who don’t have it.

Looking over the scenario, my guess would be yes.  And looking at it more closely I might guess that some of the content has been ported directly in but updated.  Kind of like with the new Apple Lane scenario, where stuff from the original round of stuff in the 70s/80s shows up as history in the current round of scenarios.  In which case I’m even more curious to see the original scenario that led to a chunk of the upper tower getting blown out like Helm’s Deep in the LOTR movies.  Alchemy, b!+€#3$!  Now that sounds like a fun scenario.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Reminder that the 25% discount on these POD RuneQuest (and POD Call of Cthulhu) titles lasts another two weeks - until Dec 31st.

Edited by MOB
  • Thanks 1

CoPCoT.png.76e89e67e58e6703f0e5a86e441a853b.png

After being unavailable in physical format for more than 30 years, Cults of Prax and Cults of Terror are now available again, Print-On-Demand. These are fully-remastered softcover editions, true to the original printing. And, along with our entire range of Print-On-Demand titles, are 25% off until December 31st.

Here's what critics have had to say about two of the most ground-breaking RPG products ever published: 

Cults of Prax

"It is testament to the monumental nature of the book that, even though it was originally released in 1979, it has yet to meet its match in depth and clarity. It is a foundational RPG text (and not just because it might be the first splatbook...)."—Vintage RPG.

“A vastly innovative product, one of the best looks at religion ever in an RPG (still)."—RPG Historian Shannon Appelcline (Designers and Dragons).

"A true classic of the early days of the hobby. …quite rightly considered one of the best treatments of religion in a fantasy RPG ever written and it's certainly one of the most inspirational."—Grognardia.

"Cults of Prax was extraordinary. It not only defined what Glorantha was, it demonstrated what was possible in gaming. It moved the bar from moving miniatures around a table and rolling dice to a shared novel. The depth. The erudition. Just stunning."—Andrew Logan Montgomery, Exploring the Otherworlds of Fiction, Magic, and Gaming.

"Arguably the most important supplement ever for both Glorantha and RuneQuest."—Reviews from R’lyeh.

"I cannot rate this book too highly, it makes an already excellent, imaginative, and highly playable FRP system into a masterpiece that richly deserves a place at the forefront of the hobby. 10/10."—White Dwarf #23 (quoted in Reviews from R’lyeh review).

"The best extant cosmology designed for use with any FRP that has been published."—Different Worlds #7 (quoted in Reviews from R’lyeh review).

"If you play RuneQuest, you want this book. If you are a serious Game Master in any fantasy system, you would do well to look it over… And remember: Gods don't have to be effective to be important. Belief is the thing, and the interactions of social groups and differing beliefs in Cults of Prax is good fantasy reading if you don't game at all."—Steve Jackson, Space Gamer #27 (quoted in Reviews from R’lyeh review).

"Cults of Prax is nothing like Gods, Demigods & Heroes (or its successor, Deities & Demigods), for example, which managed to reduce real world religious/mythological figures to mere game constructs; Cults of Prax does the opposite, elevating game constructs to something approaching credible, if clearly fantastical, belief systems."—Grognardia.

"This is a book that should simply be treasured by gamers."—Bud’s RPG Review (video review, in two parts – part one, part two.)

Cults of Terror

"Not merely a landmark in role-playing history, it’s a giant."—Ron Edwards, Adept Play.

"If you play RuneQuest, or even if you just want to see what an excellent game aid can be, you'll buy Cults of Terror."—Space Gamer No.42.

"Essential reading."—Oliver Dickinson, White Dwarf #34.

"A work of art... the book is frankly fantastic. The cults are all interesting, workable, and playable, 36 years after being printed. Cults of Terror is and remains classic and an industry standard that many have tried to copy but none have beaten. I can't recommend this book highly enough."—Bud's RPG Review (video review, in two parts - part onepart two.)

• Like 1

On 11/15/2020 at 7:28 AM, DreadDomain said:

That is another point, I believe the Glorantha Classics look nicer.

And that is also a reason to wait to buy them until I really need them. I have been looking hard for a reason to buy them now while they are discounted but alas, can't find any good reasons...

That is really bad, I caved and bought a load of them today. I think I might be a bad person...