RuneQuest 3E Question

iAmGeek

I'm reading the GW Basic Third Edition rules, and in the section on magic under character generation, it says, "Primitive and nomadic culture adventurers gain 1d3-1 points of spirit magic at 15 years of age, plus 1 point per additional 10 years or fraction thereof."

This is separate from my initial magic points derived from characteristics. Does this mean I get up to two spirit magic spells, or two points worth of spirit spells? (For example, if two spells cost one point each to cast)

Later down the page, it says that civilized characters can potentially gain "1d3-1 sorcery spells at age fifteen, plus one additional spell per five years or fraction." I can't tell whether the writing is inconsistent or what...

Also, what does the "or fraction thereof" suggest? Can you gain a fraction of a spell/spell point or something?

Thanks in advance, anyone who can help. I really appreciate it.

I'll also keep reading the book in case I just overlooked something...

Guest Vile Traveller

Does this mean I get up to two spirit magic spells, or two points worth of spirit spells? (For example, if two spells cost one point each to cast)
It means the latter - e.g., you could get Heal 2 or Heal 1 and Bladesharp 1.

Later down the page, it says that civilized characters can potentially gain "1d3-1 sorcery spells at age fifteen, plus one additional spell per five years or fraction." [...] Also, what does the "or fraction thereof" suggest?
This is because sorcery works differently - there are no spell points, you either know a spell or you don't.

"Fraction thereof" refers to your age. If you are aged 22, you effectively get 1d3+1 sorcery spells: 1d3+-1 at 15, +1 at 20, and +1 because you're between 20 and 25.

I'm reading the GW Basic Third Edition rules, and in the section on magic under character generation, it says, "Primitive and nomadic culture adventurers gain 1d3-1 points of spirit magic at 15 years of age, plus 1 point per additional 10 years or fraction thereof."

This is separate from my initial magic points derived from characteristics. /QUOTE]

I just want to make sure that you aren't confused on this.

The Magic Points derived from the characteristics are used to cast spells.

The points of Spirit Magic in the Character Generation refers to how many spells you have and how powerful they are.

So a character who is 20 years old would start with between 1 to 3 points (inclusive) of Spirit Magic spells.

Assuming they had 3 points then they could have:

1 three point spell

3 one point spells or

1 two point spell and 1 one point spell

If the character has 1 two point spell and 1 one point spell and 13 Magic Points (because their Power is 13) then they could:

Cast the one point spell 13 times or

Cast the two point spell 6 times or

Cast the two point spell 3 times and the one point spells 7 times

Any other combination of casting the spells providing that don't use more than 13 magic points.

Of course if the character drops to 0 MP they go unconsious.

The second (as other people have written).

So you could get Heal (1) and Bladesharp (1).

Not

Heal (6) and Bladesharp (6).

I agree with what has been written by others.

Sorcery works differently. All standard sorcery spells are 1 point. Sorcerers use sorcery skills to increase the effectiveness of their spells. Each sorcery skill is a separate skill.

Thanks, all, for the replies!

Mechashef: I was actually only confused about the acquiring of initial spells, but thanks for the concern and very thorough reply! I've read much more of the magic section now, and it actually never seems to make this any clearer than that one sentence I quoted (for spirit magic, at least).

Anyway, all my questions are now answered. :thumb:

In the rulebook, it says that you can only initially increase certain skills to 75%. Is this including or in addition to your species' base percentage in that skill? It's not clear in this rulebook, but I'm guessing there's some accepted standard or errata somewhere.

DEX-based skills can normally only be increased past 75% by experience, not training. The idea is that you can only train so much and the rest has to be done by yourself. So, if you have Ride at 74% then you can train it, but Ride 75% means you can't.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

No, I understood that part; I was just wondering whether the maximum of 75% percent includes your base percentage. For example, humans get a base percentage of 25 in Scan. Can a player only put up to 50 points in this skill initially, or can he put in 75 points in addition to this?

I'm guessing it's the former, but I wanted to make sure, as I'm sure the BRP rulebook says something about this. It's not made clear in the RQIII basic rules, and one of my players believes it's the latter.