Pavis Priesthood turnover since 1610

Graeme P

Perhaps where they landed is all part of the plan... kind of like leylines of magical power which flow from chunk to chunk.

Of course there is a map deep in the Flintnail Temple showing where they all were planned to have landed.  Small groups of Mostali surveyor teams still go out from time to time to obtain field data to compare to the plan (and occasionally move them to where they should have landed).

• Like 1

On 2/1/2023 at 12:54 AM, Ian A. Thomson said:

There is so much complex and rich background lore that some is bound to be contradicted by accident. Plus a lot is open to interpretation. Maybe the statue exploded and big chunks went everywhere? 🙂

I like that maybe just the magic that held the statue together simply failed, like an earth golem's spirit leaving the soil it possessed and the statue broke or crumbled as it fell and parts bounced, rolled, etc.?

image.png.5bae32fd969f234d70572048f34644e2.png image.png.e448bbfe67eb27b39bbc5b54b74bd579.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

I like that maybe just the magic that held the statue together simply failed, like an earth golem's spirit leaving the soil it possessed and the statue broke or crumbled as it fell and parts bounced, rolled, etc.?

Nice, and there could be kinetic energy involved too, so some parts were more mobile

------------------------------------

Former Issaries Inc. 'Pavis Expert'

Some of my creations and co-creations: https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/browse?keyword=Ian Thomson 

3 hours ago, Ian A. Thomson said:

there could be kinetic energy involved too, so some parts were more mobile

Especially the higher sections some 1000' up. Though from the sketch it does look like it crumbled... maybe sat down, exhausted and threw its arms out to the side to try and catch itself as the spirit/whatever left the statue and it was falling. Curious if any larger sections of the statue are still above grade visible in the rubble or did a good bit of the statue become embedded in the ground as it fell? I have the idea that its like mining into the side of a cliff. If the statue was 1000' tall and the chest was 1/6 that in thickness the quarry height to top of chest would be 166' high less any amount that settled into the ground if it were soil or mud? Would the ground have been wet when the statue collapsed? If the river was boggy as shown in the sketch the statue could easily have sunken 30-50' into the bog? 

Would a dwarven Daughter of Pavis been around from the time the statue collapsed and have controlled the quarrying operations? How much of the statue is still minable in say 1600? Would not a good bit be under water or was that cleared as the seasons changed and the level of the river receded?

It might be that there is a new entity in Pavis say 1604 that wants to build or rebuild a complex within walking distance 2-300 meters from New Pavis and hires some dwarves to construct a defendable compound? Protecting that from marauding broos and trolls could be an interesting scenario? It might be a good way to prepare a group of adventurers for the mage coming much later to the Arm of Pavis?

I have to ask, is this the Griffin Gate in the background from the Legacy of Pavis III? If so I hope they have detect assassin/ambush ability?

Also is the spell something like pass-wall and is it still taught to the Pavis priests? I like the idea of the darkness suppression as well? Maybe its works against Thanatar darkness somehow as well as troll magics and shades?

image.png.eac7d36b0f3d40a00e8836e50ec2257c.png image.png.9f208bf2f89835b84b54e400ffda754b.png image.png.b9652386c69ea6dc6ea40b8cb43ad4e6.png

• Like 1

Looks like Griffin Gate to me :) Very griffiny

And of course they do! That's the Grey Company!

Please tell me exactly where that reference is and I can go and look at the context 

Some of my creations and co-creations: https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/browse?keyword=Ian Thomson 

57 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

Sorry the cover clip is Legacy of Pavis III. The other bit on spells is from Pavis Gateway to Adventure p366.

OK cool. Yes I know the cover well. I was art director :)

That's some new stuff then

I am reviewing later official material to avoid contradicting major things as best I can, but am mostly bouncing only off the original source material

So vague references to things like that I will be ignoring

There are already magic doors in the original series, which will be expanded on this time round (They were one of the things I was asked not to say too much about due to the discussion about possibly creating an official Pavis Grand Plan series at the time)

Edited by Ian A. Thomson
  • Like 1

On 2/1/2023 at 5:54 PM, Ian A. Thomson said:

There is so much complex and rich background lore that some is bound to be contradicted by accident. Plus a lot is open to interpretation. Maybe the statue exploded and big chunks went everywhere? 🙂

That seems perfectly reasonable to me Ian.  Think how big the statue was...  Now it collapses in a heap.  Parts could go anywhere.  Imagine the racket it caused!  I'm surprised there isn't a Maran Gor Holy Site on the spot given how much the earth must have shaken.

Now as a resident Pavis Expert, when are we gonna have a long talk about Iffinbix? 😉

Edited by Darius West
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Darius West said:

Now as a resident Pavis Expert, when are we gonna have a long talk about Iffinbix? 😉

I have a bundle of sketched ideas, but sometimes things change during development. You could always start a discussion thread and see what juicy ideas appear

I seem to recall the idea that this sorcerous cult strongly promoted a healthy breakfast?

Did the statue remain completely undamaged in its wrestling match with Waha? There may be some chunks fallen off in that struggle, too, which might have ended up at North Quarry. Possibly with pieces of Waha mixed in.

• Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

3 hours ago, Ian A. Thomson said:

I have a bundle of sketched ideas, but sometimes things change during development. You could always start a discussion thread and see what juicy ideas appear

I seem to recall the idea that this sorcerous cult strongly promoted a healthy breakfast?

We are getting into off topic stuff.  I'll PM you Ian.

• Like 1

I realize its not fitted to this thread exactly but its an interesting illustration by SED? The jolanti in the background seems quite large compared to the wall, maybe its a friendly giant? Is that Pavis to the left or is it a Daughter of Pavis? Also center bottom and left of center it looks like maybe dinosaurs are being used to move the stone. Who is the big guy in the 2nd clip to the left of the dinos, again he's a biggin. Weird to have found this after the above posts.

image.png.b08bc8558168a4ca72c115013ab7a6dd.png image.png.a6e6826cdc93f3ce10d753b8aa5549ba.png

3 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

The jolanti in the background seems quite large compared to the wall, maybe its a friendly giant?

Giants are intrinsically unfriendly to any settlement near Robcradle. That Jolanti seems to be similar in size to the Stone Men guarding Dwarf Mine in Dragon Pass (and might be one of them).

The Jolanti have rather un-dwarfish proportions, same as the Faceless Statue. How comes?

Is that Pavis to the left or is it a Daughter of Pavis?

Unless it is a Lhankor Mhy-worshipping daughter, this would be Pavis himself, his son, or a son-in-law.

Also center bottom and left of center it looks like maybe dinosaurs are being used to move the stone. Who is the big guy in the 2nd clip to the left of the dinos, again he's a biggin. Weird to have found this after the above posts.

image.png.b08bc8558168a4ca72c115013ab7a6dd.png image.png.a6e6826cdc93f3ce10d753b8aa5549ba.png

At a guess the other Stone Man from Dwarf Mine, on loan to Flintnail, or hired out by Isidilian. The other question is whether these are the big brontosaurs (why change the name for Glorantha?) or some smaller species, and whether they are controlled by tin dwarfs or dragonfriends.

Alternatively these may be a first visit of some of the giant Jolanti called in to repair the damages of Thog's conquest (and then fused into the giant wall, creating the structure we know today). Speaking of which, the wall in the background might be too even for the original clearing of the statue.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Joerg said:

Giants are intrinsically unfriendly to any settlement near Robcradle.

I thought so as well but this Jolanti is three times the wall height of 25m from what I guess, puts him at about 225'. A good size giant for sure. The Dwarf Mine sketches are extremally foreshortened looking up from grade at the entrance if that is the case?

13 hours ago, Joerg said:

Speaking of which, the wall in the background might be too even for the original clearing of the statue.

image.png.011735fa59497486f3b1fd1c852b2519.png The wall seems quite level across the distance to your point.

7 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

image.png.011735fa59497486f3b1fd1c852b2519.png The wall seems quite level across the distance to your point.

Check what happens before this - the Flintnail dwarfs merge the Jolanti who accompanied Thog with the slabs of Paragua's wall. At the time of Pavis' victory the walls still were the giant-planted enclosure,.with the Faceless statue providing the material to even out the wall somewhat. 

20 hours ago, Joerg said:

the Flintnail dwarfs merge the Jolanti who accompanied Thog with the slabs of Paragua's wall

It would be really cool if Gonn Orta get upset about the Lunars trying to stop his baby's cradle and somehow shows up near Pavis, reanimates the Jolanti in the walls to help fight the Lunars, the Sun Domers and their traitor Praxian allies... I can see it.

On 2/7/2023 at 10:12 AM, Erol of Backford said:

I thought so as well but this Jolanti is three times the wall height of 25m from what I guess, puts him at about 225'. A good size giant for sure. The Dwarf Mine sketches are extremally foreshortened looking up from grade at the entrance if that is the case?

Remember too of course what others have pointed out in the past. A sketch is just a sketch, and may have been made by someone who wasn't there, 400 years after the incident occurred :)

9 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

It would be really cool if Gonn Orta get upset about the Lunars trying to stop his baby's cradle and somehow shows up near Pavis

But if he's sitting on something important or waiting for something at his Pass, and he's left his post, then Dire Consequence X will happen.  So he can't.  But he knows the Lunars are likely to do so.  So, he recruits an ally named Argrath to do it for him... 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jajagappa said:

But if he's sitting on something important or waiting for something at his Pass, and he's left his post, then Dire Consequence X will happen.  So he can't.  But he knows the Lunars are likely to do so.  So, he recruits an ally named Argrath to do it for him... 

But he has already give Gbaji's tongue to the PC's so there is nothing to worry about!?